***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Hi, kinda new here. I just have one question. If I’m an ORM from a comparatively rural area, would that negatively impact my chances in the BSMD process since I don’t have many of the opportunities many students from other states have? I’ve been making use of all the opportunities that I do have here, but compared to the others I see on here, it doesn’t seem like much at all.

Not If you can write a compelling essay.

agree with @srk2017 ; in addition its also about how you can connect with the interviewer.

OK, thanks for sharing. First of all, all 3 are great schools. You cant go wrong with either of the choices. UCLA, UCB and Duke are excellent colleges. With or without medicine, she can have successful career after graduating from either of these colleges.

It boils down to your D. Ask your D. She can be most successful where she is happy.

I would pick Duke. Duke is a T10 college and you may end up paying more… but, so what? You invest your hard earned saving on your kid’s education hoping they are successful.

Hi all! I’m new here and wanted some advice…

I’m trying to decide between:
Drexel BS/MD program, my state school UMD, and UNC.

Main Conditions for Drexel program:

• 513 MCAT
  • 3.6 min GPA
  • certain volunteering hours

Drexel undergrad with scholarship will still cost 2 times UMD, and UNC costs a little more than Drexel.

It would be super helpful if anyone has any advice about the Drexel program or anything in general!! Thank you!

@applestudent23 Can you share actual costs. as 2K is twice of 1K, so 200K for 100K.

@PPofEngrDr

Oh yes sorry!
Drexel~ 50K/year
UMD~ 22K/year
UNC~ 52K/year

(these are all totals including tuition, room, fees, etc)

I had reached out to SB admissions to get an idea about the rigor of the program. This year 1000+ students applied to Scholars in Medicine Program. 40 candidates were interviewed [compared to 20 last year] and 20 were offered acceptances. Typically 6-10 matriculate into the program. Upon transfer of AP credits, there is sufficient historical precedence for these students to graduate the UG portion in 3 years. In addition in state tuition for medical school is offered after 1 year of meeting residence requirements in NY.

My 2 cents:
Choose your top choice program/college - either NJ or NY that is in hand now. Pay whatever minimum required deposit for the first semester. If/when you get offered UPitt BS/MD seat, you can go there. If not, you have your top choice program anyway.

It boils down to the deposit for the first semester that you might lose. This is the extra cost for your UPitt admission… and this may not be too much considering - your NJ (instate), NY and UPitt choices are public colleges with probably some scholarship?

My question here for all the experts and experienced parents… My S made in to GW - 7 years ba md and 8 year Hofstra bsmd with presidential scholarship. is it worth taking GW without any scholarship from financial standpoint ? We are bit stumbling on the topic so throwing out for experts here for candid guidance. i understand GW is better option out of two but any guidance would help us firm up our decision soon… thank you…

My perspective:
DId you visit these colleges? Which one did you like?

UNC Chapel Hill is the a very good premed program but, costs more than the other two options. With UMD you only pay instate tution.

With either of these, You don’t have guarantee that BS/MD provides. There will also be cost/effort/stress applying to medical schools with the above two options and perhaps 1-2 gap years…

50K/yr for Drexel is for the guarantee from a BS/MD program. I would go for Drexel if sure of becoming a Doctor. Also from prestige/selectivity point of view, this is the best option.

Thanks @Vicky2019 . Yes with Provostial Scholarship +NMF Scholarship

BS/MD applicants need high GPA, strong courses (Honors/APs), perfect test scores, medical related experience, essays, LORs - all 9 yards… As long as you have these, you would be a good applicant and will end up with a few interviews. Your interview will decide whether you get in or not.

It is my opinion that if there are a lot of strong students with good stats in a school district, they end up competing with each other for top UG or BSMD seats. This will be true whether you live in a rural or urban area.

Can you please provide detailed tution+fees+living+dining+travel+books cost for both based on 7 or 8 years program for your options.

Whatever the difference, this will provide more clarity. We then can come up with the logic for why it makes sense for choosing one program over another.

@applestudent23

How keen are you to become a doctor?

Financially, what would 30K/year difference mean to you and your family?

@RJP1973

Agree with @Vicky2019 - what is the cost difference?
I presume Hofstra is full tuition for 4 years?

NO. GW medical school is $10K/yr higher than Hofstra + plus you are paying UG tuition.

It appears BSMD competition among HS classmates happens more in NJ schools, may be they are reading BSMD threads too much :smile: Hardly anyone applies for BSMD from my S’s competitive HS or other schools in our area.

Go with UMD (in-state) and apply via regular route MD IMO.

Take Rutgers-NB and interview with UPitts-GAP in September. Decide to transfer later if selected after interview.