***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Hey guys I have a question. I got interviewed for the RPI/AMC BSMD program but I was placed on the “under consideration” list. This is my second time receiving that email but I am not sure what that means. Do my chances of getting in decrease? Will I be considered only after they fill all the seats?

My C received acceptance after being under considerations for 3 weeks. I understand they are sending offers based on a rank list. My guess is that you are still in the list and based on how many accept or reject the offer they will go down the UC list. My guess is that you have a good chance of receiving an offer. My C has decided not to accept the AMC offer and will be sending a formal letter over the weekend.

Thank you @Nvidia20. Do you know if the first round of decisions was in mid March? Or do they start sending out decisions after the interviews begin? Again, thank you for your help!

I think they have been sending offers in batches. For RPI/AMC I think the first batch went out in Mid March and second between April 8 and 10th. A third batch I am sure will go out before May 1st I think.

@walter2020 Congratulations again on your accomplishments.
This is not to argue with you but you have said that you will not elaborate on your ECs.

All the activities mentioned below can be done by any high school student and not unique if one reads them.
As far as a language club is concerned, it is not so unique, e.g. one can start a “Sanskit” club in a school with a lot of Indians and they can recite “Bhagavad Gita” during their meeting and discuss the great scripture.
Most schools have Spanish club or similar other language based clubs. Most schools have National Honor society and/or National Spanish Honors Society. Most schools have a club which organizes volunteering or donations e.g Rotary, Interact etc. Some schools also have HOSA which organizes many charities and fund raising activities which is a group efforts.

I did not find any uniqueness while reading the list posted by you. Of course your story as told in your essays may be unique.

ECs- won’t elaborate too much for privacy reasons, sorry!

Medical ECs:

• 2 year summer program at urban children’s hospital
  • Volunteered at local hospital
  • Shadowed in small amounts, mostly with a pediatric surgeon
  • Pharmaceutical research at local college

Other meaningful ECs:

• President of a nonprofit for mental health advocacy
  • President of school’s volunteering club (300+ members)
  • President and founder of a language club
  • President of a language honors society
  • 10+ years of swimming- club/ 4 year varsity
  • Freshman Mentor

Awards:

• National Merit Scholar
  • State poetry competition bronze medalist
  • Silver award for national language exam
  • Local volunteer awards
  • 4 year varsity letter winner

Quality over quantity! The ECs may not look the most unique on paper, but the things I did with them (which I talked about in my essays) were. Obviously, they were unique enough for the 9 schools that wanted to interview me.

I posted my stats to hopefully inspire future applicants, nor for others to speculate how “unique” I am.

This is a good debate. Everyone wants to know why kids like you are successful so dissecting everything you said and not trying to undercut you.

Thank you and am not sure isn't you have to apply to different part of Upenn for engineering or is it in CAS the engineering program if it is than can think about that also as good in Math's and Science and Physics also. Will have to look into that. For Wharton I am not going at major just to be minor at Wharton I heard lot of students major in CAS and minor at Wharton so it's not hard to do is very flexible spoke to some students there.

[/quote]

If you got admitted to CAS, you have to switch into School of Engineering to do an Engineering major but you can still take classes offered by school of Engineering such Computer Engineering. CAS and a minor is Wharton would be easier if you decide to join UPenn.

– deleted duplicate post

@grtd2010

You dont even know @walter2020 except from the post here. You have NO right to tell them or opine that their accomplishments are not unique.

I met this person at 2 interviews and we happened to stay in the same hotel and fly back together and we are now friends. She is very outgoing and clicked with many people at the interviews.

Do you even know that she had an interview in GERMAN at one of the colleges. Tell me how many people you know have done this. The person keeps saying that they will not go into details and you keep pressing for it. So respect their privacy!

The point she made was very clear: You need good stats BUT you need to stand out.

What you are doing is borderline intimidating and cyber bullying a minor in a public forum for everyone to see. This person is a 17/18 yo and you are a parent/adult

@skieurope @texaspg as moderators please ask @grtd2010 to chill and mind his tone with minors. He is being snarky and there is no need for that.

Let’s the forum get back to classic debates… ranking, risk aversion, bird in hand, grade deflation. Its NOT right to debate someones stats.

@sammyGA We are discussing what is important for bs/md programs and it was pointed out the uniqueness of candidate beyond stats may be a factor. Speaking a language is NOT a uniqueness in multicultural society. So many students speak more than One language who are raised in multi-lingual homes. It is a public forum and the rules of debate apply. I agreed with the poster that essays are important where one can show uniqueness. My D has gone through a bs/md cycle a few years ago so I am well aware of what was done with bs/md applications.

Long time lurker. Providing stats for future applicants.

SAT: 1520
SAT MATH 2: 800
SAT BIO: 780
SAT CHEM: 720

GPA: 4.0(UW), 4.88(UW)
AP’s 12(9 during application, Mix of 4’s and 5’s)

EC’s: Pretty good, will not elaborate because of privacy concerns

Applied to the following 30(28 BSMD) Schools:

GWU/GWU – Interviewed - Accepted
St. Bonaventure/ GWU - Interviewed - Accepted
Drexel/Drexel -Interviewed - Accepted
W& J/ Temple- Interviewed - Accepted
NJIT/NJMS - Interviewed – Accepted
TCNJ/NJMS- Interviewed - Accepted
Drew/NJMS- Interviewed - Accepted
Caldwell/NJMS - Interviewed - Accepted
ACPHS/SUNY – First one to forward to SUNY- interviewed- Accepted
RIT/SUNY - Forwarded to SUNY – Disregarded by SUNY because ACPHS forwarded first.
Adelphi/SUNY – Forwarded to SUNY- Disregarded by SUNY because ACPHS forwarded first.
Purchase/SUNY – Forwarded to SUNY- Disregarded by SUNY because ACPHS forwarded first.
SUNY Polytechnic/SUNY - Forwarded to SUNY- Disregarded by SUNY because ACPHS forwarded first.
UAlbany/SUNY - Forwarded to SUNY- Disregarded by SUNY because ACPHS forwarded first.
SUNY ESF/SUNY - Forwarded to SUNY- Disregarded by SUNY because ACPHS forwarded first.
RPI- Interviewed - Under Consideration
Hofstra University- Interviewed -Rejected
VCU- Interviewed - Rejected
Brown PLME - Rejected
UAB – Rejected pre-interview
BU- Rejected pre-interview
Stony Brook -Rejected pre-interview
University of Rochester- Rejected pre-interview
Case Western Reserve - Rejected pre-interview
Penn State - Rejected pre-interview
University of Pittsburgh - Rejected pre-interview (Not a true BS/MD for this year)
University of Oklahoma - Rejected pre-interview
Northwestern - Rejected pre-interview
Two UG State Schools- Accepted with full ride

Decision: Most likely GWU 7 year BA/MD program (Medical School ranks 58, No MCAT and very close to home)

Reflection: Being an ORM, OOS and since my SAT was on the low end I applied to 28 BSMD programs. Along with my 2 state undergrad programs the total came up to 30. I left out UConn, Temple/Temple, all Florida BSMD’s as they need a successful interview in the sophomore year. I also left out Baylor feeders and UCinn because they totaled to around 8 seats for an OOS applicant. This was a project of my life. Wrote around 150 essays at various application levels. I never expected to land a single BSMD seat. The center piece of my application was my biomedical research that I do not want to elaborate upon. Looks like my essays came out good and I guess my interview skills were pretty good too. The above list along with the ones I left out (that I have listed above) covers pretty much all the BSMD programs in the country for a future OOS applicant. If possible apply to every single program if you are sure of being a physician. Even today I do not know what they are looking for. Just like they all say – It is a Crapshoot!.

Well, I forgot. I will re-post this on the results thread.

Congratulations on your success. Wow you have stamina to apply for 28 bs/md programs. This is the largest number we have seen here as far as I can recall.

@bsmd2027 Congrats. Thanks for planning to post in the results thread.

@bsmd2027 Congrats, you have amazing options! Another data point showing that an ORM with low 1500s can get into these programs.

I am sure your ECs and essays are fantastic and well-rounded. I hope others respect your desire for privacy. All the best!

@BSMD2027

Congrats. I will be posting my results shortly once I decide!

Wow, WFH, online classes is having some unintended consequences. Personally, a critic or disagreement don’t bother me as much as flat out flattery. In online social arena, it is very easy to be judgemental about each other, no one is intending to downplay someone achievements nor hurt anyone feelings. One way to improve is minimize references of our kids unless being asked, not every rational/logic/explanation needs my kid as an example. For kids, you are dealing with boomers and that is how it goes, no ill wish, learning life skills takes time.

Let us all take a breather. Almost the cycle is over. Enjoy and complete your school year and move on.

The CC site is very useful and it helps lot of students and parents who are not familiar with college admission process and BS/MD program admission.

Many volunteers who are doing their best to help in the public forum.

Let us respect every one’s privacy and it is individual rights to post what they want and not to disclose certain information.

Let us all respectfully agree to disagree. It is very healthy to have different view points and perspectives. But when the discussion goes beyond 2 or 3 posts arguing it is best to stop at that point.

Thank you all.

Yes, looking back at C’s experience from few years ago, thought chances were remote to land in even one BS/MD program with a supposedly sub par < 3.9 uw gpa in their Uber competitive grade deflated high school. But landed in C’s top choice program beyond our wildest imagination. Mostly because of essays, the program admissions folks being holistic to read them and the ECs (both medical a d general).

Another thing that helped I believe was the good impression about the students of that high school who matriculated there in earlier batches and blew them off their feet (which believe C carried forward too to some extent for the benefit of future batches of the HS). So hope all you folks do well wherever you go and bring good name to your HS. Your future batches will thank you.