***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Westerngirl

Question-
What are the other schools you would recommend?

Second set of ~20 schools: California Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon, NYU, UChicago, UMichigan, Notre Dame, UCalifornia, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, U Pittsburgh, OSU, Texas A & M. U Florida, U Texas, Baylor, U Georgia, Rutgers.

Question -
Is there a place to look at statistics how many students who wanted to get into a med school got acceptances vs. other schools?

I am sure one is out there, but don’t have subscription. Generally, public/state med schools have higher % of the UG students from the same school (up to 40% like OSU). Private Med School acceptance in 10-15% range.

Question-
Do most students stay in the same medical school where they did their undergrad

Generally yes, given they make average MCAT and GPA. Students with better MCAT scores will try for competitive med school, if they are not already in such a program.

Are UCF Burnett Medical Scholar and USF 7 year BS/MD guaranteed programs. Any guaranteed BS/MD programs in Florida? I am aware of FAU, where you need to take an interview before you get into medical school.

@Threebook Thank you so much! I wonder how competitive it gets among the UG from the same univeristy to the same med school. Like OSU, for example: number of undergrad OSU who applied to OSU med vs. accepted…

@Threebook: whats your opinion of Amherst, Williams, Middleburry, Bucknell for ‘pre-med’?

@Threebook do you think programs such as REMS or VCU’s GAP care about research as much as PLME or HPME? I know that research still probably matters, but do the odds look better to apply to those programs?

@rk2017 Thankyou!

HiAll,

Can anyone suggest direct BS/DO Colleges without MCAT.

My Stats 3.69UW (4.11 W) GPA, SAT 1470 and 5 Yrs Volunteer in health care with research is less competitive for direct BS/MD.

Thank you CC members for your suggestions with last year BS/DO admission Stats.

Since some of the posts are going in the wrong track (at least I believe so) wanted to share some points.

1. Choosing a UG school if it has a medical school has advantage is wrong. MD admission looks holistically and it cares less if you have done your UG at the same university or not.

In general Public university will have more students from the same state public UG schools because
A. MD admission is geared towards IS students.
B. Not every one can afford private UG and hence many middle class and low end will pursue UG at a public school. So the total # of students are more and hence no of students in MD is relatively more. (it is not because you got extra credits for doing at the same public university UG).

1. The real advantage is if the medical college is also in the same campus of the UG colleges, it will be easier for students to do any ECs. Some schools medical college is 20-25 miles apart (Uof Oklahoma) and it will be hard for some students who do not have a car or not yet mastered driving alone etc., Some schools it is so close and it benefits. (ex: Uof Rochester)

@GoldenRock

The general reasoning of UG with med school is advantageous is bcoz the students can avail of research opportunities and ECs there directly or indirectly. I have known a student who worked with a Neurology professor and had a paper published before applying to med schools. And it did matter. It may not have been possible otherwise*. As an example compare Emory with Amherst college.

There are exceptions, like for example OU med school and the Penn State/Jeff BS/MD program. In general the med schools are within accessible proximity and open for UG students there in most places.

• Northeastern I mentioned earlier is an outstanding exception in this regard.

@AlphaDog1031

Consider Nova South Eastern and NYIT COM. Both are good BS/DO programs. I think they both have MCAT requirement which shouldn’t be difficult to attain (like for example Drexel’s).

You may want to read my earlier comments on DO programs in this thread if you haven’t already.

@rk2017 you are correct about that point. But some posts eludes to the point that doing UG in a school gives an edge and extra credits to that school medical college admission is not right. For example doing UG at UC Davis or Ohio State Univ gets extra credits at their respective medical college is completely in the wrong track.

I have question about Medical Sciences major. If the student cannot get into medical school later or decided not to go for medical, is the BS still useful? Can they really do something with that major?

@GoldenRock

Yes I did not allude to the point objectionable to you.

But thinking about it now, it can’t be ruled out. I remember sharing this in last year’s thread or even prior to that. When we were waiting in line for our turn to talk to the admissions director/officer at JHU during our college visit, I overheard a woman ahead of me asking how many students made it to their med school from their undergrad pre-med population. He replied saying some low 20s number. That constitutes about 12-15% of the incoming medical class, and arguably the biggest segment of that class. There may have been multiple reasons, perhaps the admissions committee there was impressed by the achievements of the students there or they thought they know the students there well and vice versa etc, resulting in a high acceptance. Question is, whether someone from outside with similar credentials as those of those 20 odd would have had a similar shot getting in there? Not sure.

@mygrad2021
Which school offers Medical sciences as a major for undergrad?

@rk2017 , for UC Dual connections the students should only major in Medical Sciences. Is there any other such college with a specific major?

I have to agree with #608 - having returned from college tours there was a big difference in opportunities for pre med at UPitt, UoRoch, Stony Brook vs BC, Amherst and agree Northeastern is an exception for sure.

Re post #611, just to give you a scenario, someone I know dropped out of Rutgers Medical joined a start up doing research in gene therapy, sold the company to Novartis for $21Mn and retired at 53yrs:)

@brown2024, Thank you! Are you talking about medical sciences major or in general if you decide not to pursue medical?

Y’all be aware of outlier examples and cases.

@mygrad2021
I am just giving a scenario - you need to have a firm plan B doing what you are most passionate about and sometimes a plan C. Maybe do an MBA and go into Healthcare Consulting? My niece didn’t get into med school, did Masters in Public Health and works for Bill Gates Foundation and travels the world collecting data.

Likewise know of someone who finished undergrad at MIT, for whatever reason(s) joined the state med school, didn’t like it and quit after a year and is into management consulting at one of the big pharmas.

Thank you @brown2024 and @rk2017 for the response. That makes me feel better.