***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Folks

Some stats about medical school matriculation:
If you take out Stanford and Baylor among the “Top 20” (from a perception standpoint), the rest had less than 30% In-state students with some like Yale at 4.8%.

NOTE with medical schools incoming size of 90 to 160, you are looking at less than 50 in-state kids in the best case scenario. NOT all of these In-state kids will be from the same undergrad college.

Yes, many state have in-state preference/ requirement e.g. TX and CA but medical schools giving preferences to their undergrads is questionable.

Agree with @PPofEngrDr - beware of outlier data and cases.

@ Westerngirl

Re: how competitive it gets among the UG from the same university to the same med school:

There are no such data available that will point either direction. Some Medical schools report numbers of accepted students by UG college names but they don’t publish acceptance rate, so hard to decode how many applied from their own UG schools. But here are few examples listed here. One can make their own interpretation on what these numbers mean.

Ohio State U Med School
New entrants: 209, OSU UG: 72 (34%)

U of Michigan Med School
New entrants 177, U-M UG: 56 (32%)

UC Davis Med School
New entrants: 119, UC family UG: 67%

In general, you have to meet MCAT and GMAT criteria to be competitive med school applicant, irrespective of UG school.

@ Westerngirl
Question - Whats your opinion of Amherst, Williams, Middleburry, Bucknell for ‘pre-med’?

These are all well reputable and competitive small liberal art institutions with excellent pre-med tracks.

@TheCurryBiscuit
Question – do you think programs such as REMS or VCU’s GAP care about research as much as PLME or HPME? I know that research still probably matters, but do the odds look better to apply to those programs?

Student shall not limit where to apply just based on not having a research. Given the uber competitiveness and some randomness of BSMD, apply widely. As mentioned before, research is nice to have to differentiate but is not a must requirement to qualify as a compelling candidate.

Hello,
Will anybody be able to shed some light on the SUNY upstate medical university college of medicine guaranteed entry program with SUNY Purchase and SUNY Albany? Are these valid programs? Because I never have come across these names mentioned in this forum ever. That being said, I’m relatively new here.
Just wondering whether these institutions are like other BSMD programs like SUNY downstate Brooklyn and CUNY Sophie Davis etc.
( sorry, I posted the same Q in the results thread- newbie error)
Thank you all in advance

@Herefortwo

Yes those are “valid” programs and SUNY Upstate is a well regarded medical school. I believe as long as one maintains their gpa and other requirements they will be able to matriculate to the medical school. Think they have a number of feeder schools besides the ones you mentioned. One can apply through one or more of them, but there will be only one interview with the medical school regardless.

There were some discussions on this program in the 2019 bs/md main thread if you want to search there.

@rk2017 , Thanks for the suggestion.My daughter attempted to take the ACT in Sep and scored 34.Not a big jump. Is this even a good competitive score?
Also she is thinking of applying only to Tier 3 BS MD Program. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello,
Some BS/BA MD programs mentions about no MCAT required in the program is admitted.

But some BS MD schools still require students to take the MCAT. what would be the difference between these program and the traditional UG + Med which requires a MCAT ? Does this program assures a spot in the medical university as long as you maintain your GPA and meet the MCAT score ?

Please advise.

Hello ,
Does SBU-GW require students to take MCAT? One my friends kid who got admitted in to BS MD in this school ,recently graduated and didn’t take an MCAT.

Have the requirement changed?Please advise.

@Somo2020

Good to know, congratulations to your D, yes 34 ACT is a competitive score, yet just one aspect of the overall scheme.

You may have shared the profile already which I can’t remember. But where to apply depends on one’s exposure and background. For examples, VCU seems to care about lot of volunteering and hospital hours. The different feeder schools of the same program to AMC seem to care about different aspects, RPI about research, Union about leadership, Sienna about …

Try to get a feel of what is important for each and what is appealing for your student and decide. It is a 2 way street. Reading FAQs on their web sites, talking or sending emails to their program folks, college visits (if not too late) etc will help.

I don’t subscribe to the concept of tier programs, especially based on highly questionable us news rankings and so can’t advise on that front. Most of the programs, even the ones not on their rankings list, are decent and help make one a good physician. You need to only figure out the financial aspects, whether it is affordable for you to go this route or not.

I would advise against Drexel and WashU programs though, because of the high MCAT requirement, I don’t see any benefit going through their programs compared to traditional route.

Most of the other programs, MCAT is just a formality and you shouldn’t be all that concerned about it. For example Penn State/Jefferson, a very good program, has MCAT requirement corresponding to a 67th percentile or so. I don’t think anyone in the program ever had or will have any issue in meeting that.

@rk2017 , Where is the requirement for Penn State/Jefferson for MCAT and GPA requirement to graduate to medical school? I couldn’t find it on their website? Could you please post the link?

@Somo2020 (and anyone else just getting the ACT/SAT scores),

If you haven’t still made up your mind on which programs to apply to, but the program(s) are on your list of ponderance, send the scores any way, especially for the ones having Nov 1st through 15 deadlines. ACT charges the same fee for up to 4 score recipients, so if you send it to a program you won’t be applying to later, no big deal, only loss of few bucks instead of risking any delays.

For those who have/or taking the test this month, if there was one, not to bother as long as you have listed the recipients on the test. The scores reach the recipients around the same time as they come to you.

Also wanted to add this to my earlier comments, I would advise against any 6 year programs and any Early Assurance Programs (EAP) which only guarantee interview with the med school at the end of junior year with them and not matriculation into the med school.

Unless you have done your research and are convinced it is as good as any other guaranteed program for all practical purposes!

@Somo2020

Question: Does SBU-GW require students to take MCAT?

Yes, here are maintenance requirements.

• Minimum overall grade point average of 3.6
  • Minimum GPA of 3.6 or better in all math/science courses
  • A grade of B- or better in all courses
  • Successful completion of the MCAT exam is required.

@mygrad2021

I guess we are forbidden from posting links, :slight_smile: they will be yanked out by the moderators if someone still does it. I will try to copy paste the text from the link later but remember seeing MCAT score like 506 or something as one of the requirements for the program.

@rk2017 , Thank you ! no problem, I don’t know that you cannot post links here.

@Somo2020

Question -
But some BS MD schools still require students to take the MCAT. what would be the difference between these program and the traditional UG + Med which requires a MCAT ?

Difference: Student doesn’t require to officially go thru traditional medical school application process -

1. Primary application - transcript, MCAT, letters of recommendation, resume, and personal statement
  2. Secondary/supplemental application - school specific essay prompts
  3. Interview and
  4. Wait period- the most stressful part of the application process for most students.

Question -
Does this program assures a spot in the medical university as long as you maintain your GPA and meet the MCAT score ?

Yes, contingent upon meeting the maintenance requirements (MCAT and GPA are part of it).

@mygrad2021
cc: @rk2017 - Link and info was handy hence posting on your behalf. You have very sharp memory, it is 504.

Academic Performance:
Students in the accelerated PMM program take essentially the same courses as, and have similar schedules to, premedical students in a traditional four-year program. They also are expected to perform at an A/B level in all courses, much as four-year students are expected to do if they hope to gain admission to medical school. Satisfactory performance on MCAT exams also is required for matriculation to SKMC at Thomas Jefferson University. The current MCAT requirement is a minimum composite score of 504 with no less than a 126 on any subsection of the exam. If students in the accelerated program are not performing at a 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale) level, particularly in the sciences, they could be asked to withdraw from the program. Typically, such a student would be eligible to remain at Penn State in another program of study.

Link: https://science.psu.edu/interdisciplinary-programs/premed-med-bsmd/academics-and-cost

@Threebrook , thank you so much!