***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

May 1 vs June 1

Folks -

Please make sure you have confirmed with your BS/MD program what the exact deadline for acceptance is.

There is a potential cause for confusion where the undergrad is okay with June 1 date and medical school / BSMD program wants you to confirm by May 1.

So, call / email the BSMD programs you are seriously considering and confirm which date applies to you.

Congrats @junebug20

Yep, just found out we are on the wait list.

@NoviceDad Thank you, but I meant the result email just came out. The WL has 13 students on it (19 interviewed candidates, 6 acceptances, 13 WL). The odds is pretty low for an acceptance off of the WL. We won’t hold our breath.

@junebug20 - I understand that with BSMD admissions, it is difficult to be optimistic but don’t you think there could be some students out of 6 that got accepted with multiple BSMD acceptances?

@2027dad , @junebug20 - Good Luck to you for your future. Things have a way of working out. Remember, the colleges that accepted you would love to have you and you probably are a better fit there anyway :slight_smile:

Thanks Vicky2019, luckily we have other acceptances to choose from but since Baylor is a top 10 Medical program we were hoping for good news.

Do you know much about the U. of South Florida 7 year program? Our options are that, Oklahoma, or UKMC 6 yr. My C does not want to do a 6 yr program so we are going to decline that for sure.

@2027dad

Agree with you. If you get B/B that is a top choice. If not among USF and OU, I would strongly recommend OU. Even if you want to do it in 7 years it is possible in OU though it is a 8 year program.
What is your state? Did you get any aid in OU (NMF)?

We are in KS, we get NMF scholarships for both. The USF scholarship is very generous and thus get extra money each year that can be used later for med school, but the MCAT requirement is 514 vs about a 508 at OU.

@mom2boys1999

As per New York Times:

The SAT and ACT are preparing to offer at-home digital tests if school shutdowns continue this fall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/coronavirus-cases-update-live.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#link-28a3fe0a

There is already an email from College board. They canceled June SAT and subject tests.

@2027dad - I agree with @GoldenRock regarding OU.
GoldenRock - Is your DS/DD in OU BS/MD program?

However, if USF seems financially lucrative, you need to first find out what the drop out rate for BSMD program is? Heard the attrition rate is high!

Yes, she got off the wait list at OU BSMD and received her offer last week. She needs to decides by Friday.

The only answer we got at USF is that all the people that meet the benchmarks get offers to Morsani Medical school.

For kids who have done well in SAT IIs and well in SAT and ACT reading, 515 is should NOT be a big issue. My S and two kids who are in BSMD programs from 2017 achieved above that with moderate prep.

Look at the comparison below for both programs and based on your comfort level, have your D decide between the two -

USF ranking
UG: 104
Med school Research: 47
Med school Primary Care: 94-122

Program continuation requirements are listed in the link -
https://www.usf.edu/honors/prospective-students/7-year-med.aspx

Basically, in addition to MCAT, GPA – there are additional shadowing, research and volunteering requirement as well. LORs need to be submitted as well. After this student should have a successful interview with Morsani medical college.

=====

OU ranking
UG: 132
Med school Research: 70
Med school Primary Care: 63

Provisional acceptance means that a spot is waiting for you at the OU College of Medicine, if you achieve an MCAT score and a GPA that are equal to or higher than the average MCAT score and GPA of the previous year’s incoming medical school class.

Note: please also search on google regarding reviews for both programs to see historically what people have thought about each program

@2027dad

Your Child and your family need to make a decision based on what is important.

USF is EAP. USF there are 2 options and not sure which option this EAP is. One all 4 years in Tampa and the second one 2 years in Tampa and last 2 years in Allentown, PA. Some students are ok to move around and some don’t like to move during 4 years. Mostly OOS are in the split location if not mistaken.

OU has many liabilities and it is a conditionally guaranteed BS/MD program. Years to complete (3 or 4 ) and can choose whatever major and minor and can choose OU main MD or Community based MD in Tulsa.

OU merit aid getting less and less as state funding is getting very limited. OU OOS MD fees are higher. But if you do in 3 years, 2 years of MD fees is free ( and hence still it may be cheaper than CA IS 4 years fees. )

@Vicky2019 Thank you for your kind words. My son and I have been working on alternate non-BSMD plans. Baylor only keeps people on the WL if they commit to Baylor U by May 1. History shows a maximum of 2 ever got off the WL in a cycle. Just like @2027dad said, BCM is a T20 med school, we were hoping for good news, but Baylor U is a stretch in the UG cost, especially at this stage - getting off the WL (B2B UG scholarship for the bottom 2 of the accepted candidates get 3K/year for UG)

Since his chance of going traditional is nearly 100% now, we are debating premed at NJIT (near full ride) and Trinity University in San Antonio (full tuition). Trinity for premed is similar to Rice. All premeds will get a committee letter. We’ve heard a lot of good things from Trinity students, and Trinity prehealth website claims that 90% of Trinity prehealth students who has a GPA of 3.6 matriculate med school. NJIT Honors College also claims that nearly of of their Prehealth Scholars matriculate med school. Son also got accepted to Rice, Rochester, Tulane and other decent UG but their merit scholarships aren’t compensating for their high COA, so we are scrapping all but NJIT and Trinity.

We are working on a pros-cons matrix to help us choose between these two UG programs. Any insight is appreciated

Typo in my previous post (6314). liabilities should be replaced with Flexibility.

@Junebug20-

I didn’t know much about these colleges until I started researching on the internet. I see good information about both. Sharing the links that I found interesting -

Smartest colleges in America ranks Trinity much higher than NJIT
https://www.businessinsider.com/smartest-colleges-in-america-2014-10

Forbes lists Trinity in the top 25 colleges in the south
https://www.forbes.com/sites/anismuslimin/2017/08/02/top-25-colleges-in-the-south-2017/#69161acb1d9a

Read the post from @TrinityAlum10 on page 2
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/trinity-university/1007989-how-about-a-fresh-thread-about-trinity-u-p2.html

NJIT on the other hand is New Jersey state’s research and technological university

Where are you from? Is your DS interested in being close to home? Is he used to cold/warm weather?

Ultimately, your DS should choose the college that he likes and where he can adjust well. This will motivate him to be successful.

My apologies- I misunderstood your post.
You are right - plan as if the WL does not move.

Question on Rice -

Have you had a discussion with them on potentially increasing their aid?
A number of times they may match aid given by other colleges.