***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Thank you for sharing this update.

Atleast College Board is thinking of

1. adding an extra test option in September
  2. online exam
  3. more centers to give tests

@NoviceDad Itā€™s OK, itā€™s easy to misinterpret my enthusiasm to announce that the results are in as a low-key celebratory announcement. About Rice, we unfortunately donā€™t qualify for any need-based aid and he wasnā€™t offered any merit. I was kinda surprised that they even offered him admission after they sent his Rice Medical Scholars app to BCM and BCM eliminated him from the batch (they have a policy that one can apply to multiple feeder schools but only gets one interview). I didnā€™t know Rice would match offers. I suppose we can ask since we have nothing to lose.If itā€™s Rice, my kid can stay home and commute. Thanks for the suggestion!

@2027dad Check with the NM Scholarship Office to see they still have a policy to waive OOS surge charge for med and grad school. They use to do that three years ago, when my D applied.

@junebug20 ,

Most (almost 100% whoever my daughter know) of the premed honors scholars at NJIT have forgone T15 schools for full ride. Campus is very safe and it is 4th safest campus among US universities. Lot of opportunities for research including NJMSā€¦ i dont know about Trinityā€¦ Keeping perfect GPA in this school is not easyā€¦ you need to do Calc 3 and linear algebra/diff eq on top of other weed out courses even if you are BS biology major since it is a polytechnic university. My daughter is very happy that she chose this schoolā€¦

@junebug20

Yes, reach out to the Rice financial aid office and lay out your situation.

All the best.

Did you mean OU or USF?

Thanks

@Vicky2019
He visited NJIT Albert Dorman Honors College and really likes it. Itā€™s like an Ivy-caliber group of students within NJIT. Their average SAT is something like 1540. My S applied there as a part of his application to the Accelerated BS/MD program with NJMS. Unfortunately, NJMS didnā€™t offer him an interview, but NJIT Honors offered him the Medical Humanity Scholar Program that seems worthy. They also have a Forensic Science major that sounds really cool. He likes to be close to NYC, OK with the cold but hates the dry weather. I personally donā€™t mind sending him away but after seeing NY and NJ as COVID-19 epicenters, Iā€™m beginning to see disadvantages of public transportation (at least until a vaccine if found).

Trinity is only 3 hours driving away from home (as oppose to NJIT a flight away). What TrinityAlum10 said in 2010 is still the same thing we hear about Trinity now. My S got a free tuition scholarship there. Heā€™s looking into connecting with current premed students to see how volunteer, shadowship work around there. He was told that UG research is big there because there are no grad students. UG students get to do research with the prof and get published as 1st authors.

Iā€™m going to also look into talking Rice into giving us some help as @NoviceDad suggested.

I donā€™t know if we could iron all the wrinkles out before May 1. Too much to do, too little time. LOL

@NoviceDad
@GoldenRock

I was recently accepted to FAU BS/MD off the waitlist. My concern about this program is that it is not a guaranteed program; you must interview successfully with the FAU COM during the third year.

I wanted to know how likely it was to fail the interview and get rejected from the FAU COM even while being in the program. If anyone is or was in the program and can comment on this, that would be very helpful.

@Mahikesh Weā€™ve mapped out his 4-year plan in Forensic Science with a minor in Medical Humanity. How are the weed-out courses? I notice that they donā€™t have a lot of Honors sessions for these classes. A lecture hall class for organic chemistry is a disasterā€¦ Which year is your daughter in? How are her experiences with these lecture-hall weed-out classes? Good professors who like to teach? The Albert Dorman Honors College makes the claim that most of their Prehealth Scholars marticulate med school. I donā€™t see any reason why they would make faulty claims. Itā€™ great to hear someone like you to reaffirm NJIT HC claims. Weā€™d appreciate more info about NJIT, if you could, to help with our decision. Thank you so much!

@junebug20
worst case scenario, you put deposit both places while wrinkles takes its own time to iron out and loose one deposit. Based on your personal scenario Triinity is an easy choice.

OU. I like that they let you use the tuition waiver over the course of 10 sem.

@PPofEngrDr Arenā€™t we supposed to only make one enrollment deposit? Something about that in the CommonApp that my kid pledged when he submitted his application?

@helix8

It is my understanding that FAU is a true BS/MD program.
There is no mention of another interview with College if Medicine in third year of undergrad.

The key is to maintain the GPA of 3.7 in all semesters.

Here is the page highlighting the program
http://fau.edu/medpipelines/

Are there any specific concerns about FAU?

junebug20,

Did your D end up going to OU or some other program. If OU, did she like her overall experience?

@PPofEngrDr @junebug20

I would not recommend double depositing.

@junebug20 it is certainly deceitful. However situation is unprecedented and getting everything answered in time may not happen by May 1. If you are able to iron out all wrinkles before that you already have decision and only one deposit. But if you donā€™t get all answers in time, which i doubt, as colleges are equally aware of deadline situations.

Hi, I was hoping for insight from the group. We are trying to choose between TCNJ and NJIT. We love the TCNJ campus and NJIT Albert Dorman Honor college is very impressive. Both say that the UG part can be done in 2 years, but it seems more straightforward at TCNJ. My D would love to do an accelerated 1 year MPH in the 3rd year before matriculating or Get some study abroad .
Any help would be appreciated.

@2027dad She got a cheaper deal with UH and BCM, but she still raves about her trip to OU and the meals she got there. THe NMS Office is really helpful to the NM students. Someone in this forum has a daughter graduating from OU MHSP. I canā€™t recall the person. Sounds like she had a great time. The only disadvantage I read and stuck with me is that the med school and med center arenā€™t in Norman, where the UG program is.

@BSMD mom
For NJIT, they have a set of graduation requirements laid out. My son wonā€™t be in the 7-year BSMD program, so he could complete all of his undergrad program in 3 years because he got 14-15 AP classes. I understand that as a 7-year BSMD student, your D could get credit for the MS1 year toward her BS/BA. I donā€™t know if they would let her get credit for MS1 toward UG if she has time to finish the bachelor degree in 3 years. You definitely need to check with them. I would be curious if they allow such flexibility. That would be great though! Good luck to your D!

@junebug20 My D went to OU BS/MD program and she completely enjoyed. You can see various posts in the BS/MD applicants experience thread about OU experience. She worked in the NMF office and she might have spoken to few of you ! I PMed @2027dad also.