***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Threebrook

Thanks for the Penn State Info. Also if I may take the liberty to add to your points, a tangential one rather, and as pointed out by @NoviceDad few times already:

1. Having to take one or more gap or break year(s) after completing the undergrad - a trend becoming more prevalent these days among traditional route applicants for whatever reasons.

@Somo2020

As @rk2017 mentioned ACT=34 is a competitive score but one aspect of the overall profile.

My D had ACT=34 and she got into NU-HPME. So, don’t just focus on “low-tier” (whatever that means) schools.

Yes, be strategic in where you apply based on your overall profile (not just SAT/ACT scores).

@rk2017 @Threebrook

As @PPofEngrDr had mentioned, ~60% of matriculating students in medical school had >= 1 gap year.

23% of NU medical school matriculants had > 2 gap years.

It has become a degenerative cycle towards more gap years.

What does it mean by “2 additional letters of recommendation” for the UConn SPiM program?

Who should these be from? Or should my teachers just submit their LoR to the med school?

@NoviceDad I am also applying to NU HPME this year. Did your daughter have exception research or some other compelling aspect to her application? I don’t know if it is just me but it almost seems like everyone getting into HPME (my top choice) is a published researcher and has won some sort of international award. Do regular people with passion get in? And also about how many receive the application, how many get an interview, and how many are actually accepted? Thanks in advance!

I have a question regarding BS/MD binding. I know lot of bs/md programs won’t let you apply to outside colleges for MD program and you loose your guaranteed spot if you do so. My question is if they don’t get into their MD program for any reason, they just loose that year and apply again next year? OR they can quit that program and go with the regular track? I mean what’s the next step for the student in such cases? What happens in 7 year programs for the same situation as they don’t get their BS till they complete their 1st year of medical?

@imsa2020nv
No published research in our case.

~1200-1500 request HPME supplemental; 400-750 get a supplemental; 120 are interviewed; 20 are selected and a few <5 wait-listed.

@mygrad2021

It is very rare, people do NOT meet GPA and other requirements for BS/MD.
But if they do NOT meet them for some reason, depending on the program they may get a chance to make-up or lose the spot.

If you get into a BS/MD program, better let your child to roll up the sleeves and meet the requirements.

There are risks in every decision.
Frankly, you are over-thinking this.

@ramen2020
For UConn undergrad, LORs are optional.
For SPIM, they are mandatory.

FYI - if you are a CT resident, you get special consideration for SPIM.

@ramen2020
What does it mean by “2 additional letters of recommendation” for the UConn SPiM program? Who should these be from? Or should my teachers just submit their LoR to the med school?

Addition to what @NoviceDad responded,
These are two additional LORs to what were submitted with UG application. For SPiM dual degree program, it’s nice to have these letters from 1) someone from your healthcare-related activity, to help present/add voice for your passion and commitment and 2) from a science (chemistry or biology) teacher, who can emphasize your interest for studying science.

I had some questions about applying out of BS/MD programs:

1. Roughly what percentage of people in BS/MD programs actually apply out?
  2. Pretty much all BS/MD programs allow you to apply out but withdraw your guaranteed place if you do. However, you can still apply to the medical school as a regular applicant. If you did this, would that be perceived negatively because you gave up your guaranteed place, thus reducing your chances?
  3. Are there any BS/MD programs that don't allow you to apply out?
  4. Are there any BS/MD programs that will still reserve your guaranteed place even if you apply out? I've heard that VCU does this?
  5. For accelerated 6/7 year programs, applicants from BS/MD programs will be at a disadvantage won't they, since they have 1/2 years less to prepare a medical school application? What about dual degree programs such as MD/PhD (at the guaranteed medical school)? Applicants BS/MD programs will be at a disadvantage for these as well, won't they? Do people take gap years/not accelerate for this purpose?

@conflagrations

Why would someone want to apply to the same medical school they opted out? Yes, it may be a drawback at that particular med school when reapplying but not elsewhere.

Most of the 8 year programs let you apply out without losing the guarantee I believe. That way if someone finishes MCAT before the beginning of the senior year undergrad, they can apply out but expected to inform the program director anyway. Examples are UConn, WashU and UI Chicago (only instate applicants eligible). GWU, a 7 yr program also used to allow applying out without losing the guarantee but it seems they changed it lately.

Till a decade ago pretty much everyone used to transition directly from undergrad to med school. Lately due to variety of factors that has changed. Since the competition has drastically gone up, students want to make their profiles appealing by research, publications, ECs, a master’s degree, and other accomplishments. Also the med schools got picky because of higher demand for limited slots. Also students attending some of the more rigorous schools (like JHU) are encouraged by the schools themselves to take gap years. So they can spend the extra time to make their candidacy compelling.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:

You are not “forbidden from posting links.” You are, per ToS, prohibited from posting links to social media, blogs, commercial counseling sites, amongst others. College sites, news sites, and other authoritative sites are no issue.

Thanks for the clarification!

To give couple of recent examples I came across, one of the students with a 99 %ile MCAT and decent gpa (don’t know exact figure) was wait listed at BU med school. Didn’t follow through and so don’t know if he eventually got in or landed else where or took a gap year.

Another one from TX was so confident of her MCAT and other credentials that she applied to some of the TX based med schools only (perhaps bcoz of record low tuitions factor). Didn’t get into any, continued with studies to get a Master’s in public health and applied to both in state and out of state. Perhaps got into in state schools 2nd time around, but ended up choosing to go out of state anyway, due to may be prestige or other factors I guess.

Thank you @NoviceDad and @skieurope! Can someone tell me which undergraduate school is good and sends more number of kids to SUNY Upstate medical college? I couldn’t find this information anywhere.

SUNY Bing

@rk2017 , Thanks for the reply.Her Math SAT test II Subject score wasn’t so great (720 ), hence we decided to skip applying to the school which requires SAT Subject as a requirement.

@ mygrad2021
Can someone tell me which undergraduate school is good and sends more number of kids to SUNY Upstate medical college? I couldn’t find this information anywhere.

SUNY Upstate Medical University
Entering Class 168, Out-of-state residents 34 - 20%

If you are looking for OOS Undergraduate Colleges Attended:

• Amherst, Boston College, Brandeis, Northeastern, Wellesley - MA
  • Duke University, NC
  • University of Notre Dame, IN
  • Vanderbilt University, TN
  • Villanova University, PA
  • Yale University, CT

Thanks for the information @Threebrook ! I was looking to get more information about their bs/md partner undergraduate colleges not through regular undergrad. I was wondering through which feeder school more kids matriculate to SUNY medical for MD?