***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@rk2017 I don’t disagree with your suggestion at all. No need to rush into BS/DO if MD is what you are leaning towards. However, what I am still not getting an answer to is: why do I hear people on this forum discourage students from DO and/or recommend DO as a fallback option to MD if they both provide the same quality of education and qualifications?

I also understand that none of the DO schools are in the T20 rank. But neither are many MD schools discussed in this forum.

@ubsmd2020 and all experts here at this forum

My S has the similar dilemma after knowing the admission decisions. I have posted here his stats et. We have been deciding between Duke and RPI/AMC. Eventually the fact hit him. He wants to explore more about other areas, but definitely he knows he wants to be a doctor. He feels doctor is a must. Beyond that, he wants to explore more. This made him feel if he can use some of his APs and have a minor, such as Economy with biotech, would be great. End up RPI does provide exactly this kind of minor, and it’s very common for PSP students having a minor when they graduate. Instead of keep nerves on every homework and exams with cut-throat GPA perfection, competing for ECs opportunities (PSP hands to you as a requirement), my S feels he can really ENJOY his learning and nurturing his mind during undergraduate period. That’s his testimony of choosing RPI/AMC.

Another thing is about prestige. Medical school is different from law school. Once you are board certified, your earning depends on which kind of disease you are treating. Billing code is same, doesn’t matter which medical school you graduate from. It is true to have some kind of privilege from prestige medical school with residency match, but you have to think why you want to go to a “good” residency program. Generally all residency programs in US has to follow training guidelines and fulfill case number requirements. So cross board quality of American residency- trained physicians can provide pretty standard care no matter community hospital or academic settings. The prestige medical school/ research/ top residency program, are all relevant to academic setting. Young ambitious kids usually are fascinated by pioneer treatment, new medicine et, so going to academic is more popular. However, there is nothing wrong to staying in community health care, deliver daily care for your neighbors. Also to be honest, the potential earning most of the time, academic is less than community care. So think about why, why want to go to medicine, and why you want to go to a prestige school, what it can bring to you, why a T20 or even T10 medical school, what you can achieve. Why top residency programs/fellowships, what you want to achieve. Do not confused by the aura of prestige. But think what the prestige can bring to you. Also draw a quick blue print in the mind to see how you want to spend your time in the college. Everybody has their own unique character, you have to stay in a quiet room and think through it.

Wish you good luck!

@ohnjmom

Congratulations on your son’s quick decision making. I think he will enjoy his journey, but if for any reason changes mind, he still can go to Duke medical school later. I believe the program allows that flexibility as I outlined yesterday in a different context. (If not true by your finding, please share here for the benefit of future batches).

@ohnjmom, @ubsmd2020 & other students choosing RPI/AMC - I want to share a RPI story hoping it helps.

When we went to visit RPI for a college tour, the student who took us on the tour was from the 7yr accelerated BS/MD program. He told us about his straight 5’s in 14 AP courses. He also told us that he got into Rochester REMS and RPI/AMC but chose RPI/AMC due to merit scholarship and acceleration.

He mentioned that he was enjoying being in the program very much and having a lot of time for himself in spite of his involvement with research, job as the guide and other extra curricular activities. He also mentioned that was able to take tough courses due to his AP credit. Finally, he told us that he was very happy with his decision.

Since he is from California, the toughest adjustment he had to make was due to the cold weather!

@rk2017 @Vicky2019 thanks for sharing! My S has a lot of AP credit too, especially Physics, which all precious PSP students recommended to avoid RPI’s physics class?. But I think he’ll be fine neither taking it or not.

I think RPI/AMC is more binding. On AMC’s agreement(like contract), they stated you have to withdrawal from admission of AMC before you want to apply out. I have to find the paper to get exact words.

Most bs/md programs require you to give up your provisional seat at medical school if you want to apply out. RPI is a well known Engineering school and all science and engineering classes are going to be very competitive. There is not much around to do and specially number of female students is small compared to male.

Thanks a lot for sharing this !!!

If you see applicants stats to MD (UG GPA and MCAT score) and DO schools, you will see the difference. Most applicants in lower range of GPA and MCAT score apply to DO schools. So the best strategy is to spend 3 yrs in UG and take MCAT and depending upon your GPA and MCAT score chose to apply to MD only or both MD/DO or only DO schools. The same logic applied to bs/md vs bs/do. Defer bs/do for later if you can make into a bs/md program depending on your stats and medical ECs.

@ParentCA

You are right. DO focus is more holistic and mostly interested in primary care (does not imply people have not done other specialty). This form of education also taught for a long time, almost 128 years. There are excellent DO Docs. But it is more of the opinion that some believe MD is more effective form of education and some like DO and vice versa. For some reason, on the average students admitted in MD are much stronger in academic and other aspects than DO students. Thought 128 years DO is awarded, still as you rightly pointed many encourage to try MD before settling on DO.

Unfortunately perception is the reality. For some reason DO has got that perception.

Though now some unification process is taking place, still it will take a while before that stigma to go away.

Hi! I hope all is well with everyone and their families.
I am currently trying to decide between the Sophie Davis program and the Purchase/Upstate program and would appreciate any advice. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge about either or both of the programs?

Thank you!

@trustheprocess1

Sophie Davis/CUNY is accelerated, but a newer program. One of the students who attended in the 2018 had lot of complaining about it. I think I shared the link on this thread, let me know if you have difficulty finding. But it is perhaps closer to home if you are instate.

Upstate is not accelerated, but if you finish up the course work early, you can go for a gap year and do some research or full time job. It is more reputed, decent research funding and well established medical school, though the program itself is fairly new.

I recommend Upstate.

I am likewise reminded of someone on this forum mention about choosing Union/AMC over Case PPSP.

@ohnjmom

Every accelerated program requires the student to formally withdraw a year in advance if he changes mind so the slot can be allotted to someone in traditional route in the upcoming season. So believe you need to notify the program director by the start of junior year of the program. For that one may have to finish the MCAT testing during the summer after sophomore year and think it over. Just make sure from the program that just taking MCAT won’t void the guarantee (which I don’t think will be, but have heard to my great surprise of some programs doing that too, not sure how they will find out?)

With the rigor of your son with a lot of AP credits, he will do fine both with the course work and MCAT, if he decides to take it. (C and friends in a different accelerated program took it with barely 2 months self preparation (summer 1 was spent finishing the mandatory course work) during summer after sophomore year, to satisfy the requirement, and scored in the 97-99% ile overall ranges)

It seems that for some bs/md programs even registering for MCAT is a no-no proposition. It seems that pre-med advisors at pre-med office may have some kind of portal access to data, not sure what kind of data.

@ohnjmom you make good points and I took the liberty to abridge the quote to highlight the points I liked. We are also struggling with GWU (T60) /Duke (T10) decision and faced same dilemma.

I agree with what you said and also think now the most important question to ask is why are we going to a T10 or a BS/MD school? Until this point we are in the selling mode to the universities and now that the admission offers are made the time for a true search for our motives has come. A wrong choice will make us feel miserable or make us change the course later in life. The answer will be very personal and therefore cannot be found on an online forum IMO.

The T10 schools offer a great environment, but does the student have the inclination to avail them and accomplish more in life? Does he/she aim high and want to be a leader (not just money maker) and change things for the betterment of society or not. For what purpose they would like to use the great, facilities, and opportunities, and network available to them? If they are consumed by a dream beyond MD and doctor, I would say go to T10 because the opportunities to shine are abound. Also their survival in that intense environment becomes easy due to their passion and engagement. And I am talking about the student here not the parent!!

Many times I have seen students who went to T10 schools because of the prestige factor having a great initial start but remain mediocre due to lack of a lifetime’s ambition and a burning desire to accomplish it. They end up drifting like others and I don’t see much difference except for a big name attached to their degree. So I asked my son to ask himself what exactly he wants to do with his life? A big question to grapple with for a 18 year old, but it is important to search for that answer even as an faint outline.

If there is a dream and burning desire to accomplish it i have seen students from lower ranked UG colleges NJIT, Drexel schools to go to Harvard, Baylor etc., for residencies and continue to avail what ever opportunities available around them and shine in their lives.

Just like you proposed, I told him to sit in a room and think about it peacefully, so you don’t regret passing on a either a great name institution like Duke or a great BS/MD professional opportunity.

@sguni_2016

Totally agree. Wish your S makes his decision well! No right or wrong, fit for his ambition is the best!

I always tell my S that from college, you just start your OWN life now. Not only to see where you start, but also where you want to end up. Life long goal is more important than going to a prestigious school. Peak time in the life shouldn’t be at the end of high school or college.

I am liking the posts from junior members :wink: I always said decision should be based on individual strengths/weaknesses/career objectives etc…

I just received notice that I was accepted into Union/AMC. I also have an acceptance from TCNJ/NJMS. Anyone know what would be the better program to go with?

NJMS has the better match lists/med school, but Union/AMC has the MBA and healthcare administration focus

Why is it that most BS/MD programs are on the east coast? I only know of one BS/MD program on the west coast, but it is only for in-state students.

@bruhmomento69420 , I would choose union/amc over tcnj/njms since the Union program focuses on leadership in medicine which is unique among all bsmd programs. The MBA you will recieve will make you stand out during residency apps. Both AMC and NJMS match lists are similar when I looked. Union/AMC program has 15 students and looks more diverse in terms of race/gender while TCNJ/NJMS is mostly asians.