***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@ mygrad2021
SUNY Upstate Accelerated Scholars Program
As of March 2019, there were two students enrolled from the first pilot year. Medical School is working thru plan of more than 15 UG partnership arrangements with a goal of 30 total students…

Process: Each UG School Selection Committee will review, interview and recommend 5-10 potential candidates who have been accepted to their UG School to Upstate Med School for further consideration. Upstate will screen these recommendations and then invite students to interview.

Thank you @Threebrook ! Do you know which UG schools are good for this program? I see some 10-15 schools not sure to which ones to select.

@rk2017 ,@Threebrook , @NoviceDad , @mygrad2020, Thank you all for the reply.

1.Does anyone know when is the Florida state university “Honors Medical Program” Application is due? I looked at the college website and couldn’t find any info on the requirement and also when it is due.

2.University of Illinois College of Medicine - GPPA Medical Scholars Program - Is this only for instate student?

3.Does University of Cincinnati - college of medicine give preference to instate students?what is the acceptance rate?

4.Medical College of Georgia* - give preference to instate students?what is the acceptance rate?

5.Where can we find out the MCAT score minimum requirement?Some colleges mention but some mention as 94 % etc so not sure if it is even worth to apply to the program which states that?

@Somo2020

Yes UIC GPPA is for instate students only.

UCinncinnati is said to have strong preference for in state. While researching for program selection for D more than couple of years ago, read 7 of the 8 students in that program that year were in state. Doubt if anything changed since then.

MCAT is for traditional route applicants during or after undergrad. You don’t have to be concerned about it for now.

If you meant the MCAT requirement for BS/MD programs, they are significantly lower compared to their traditional route levels. Examples, 504 for Penn State/Jeff, 510 for BU, many don’t even specify any minimum you just need to take it and not flunk it totally. The whole idea of going this route is to have a relatively stress free frame work and open opportunities to pursue what one really loves to.

The only exceptions with high expectations that I am aware are Wash (519/97% ile), Drexel (513/89 % ile with minimum in each section) and FAU (which seens more of an EAP than guaranteed, something similar) …

Does anyone have statistics on attrition rate for BSMD programs? What would be a plan be if a student did BS portion but didn’t/couldn’t make it to the MD portion?

My concern with BSMD programs that many of them are not at such prestigious school, so if a student falls out, you end up with debt and a bachelor’s degree from ‘so so’ school

Also, is there a list of BSMD schools that don’t require MCAT or pass/fail MCAT? I couldn’t find a list.

THank you!

Up

@mygrad2021

Think I answered it earlier in this thread if you want to go back and check. Some of the well known names include Albany Coll of Pharm and Roch Inst of Tech. Also you may consider the location of a given school and it’s proximity to any big city as a factor if you want (for student life quality for all those years).
Also checking the common data sets will give a clue to the competiveness of the school (I generally look at the combination of acceptance % and the 75 the percentile scores of SAT/ACT).

But also on the same token, if one chooses to apply through a competitive school, chances of you getting recommended for the limited interview slots at Upstate from that school may go down bcoz of having to compete with other high caliber students and one may or may not stand out as exceptional.

Thank you @rk2017 ! I know someone asked about Purchase and UatAlbany. I did not about this earlier before that post and when I started looking at this , there are about 10-15 colleges. I was just trying to select something that has decent pre-med experience. I agree with your point about applying through a competitive college. I will look into the common data set and the school proximity (that’s an important point).

Thank you @rk2017 , Never seen the full list with the deadline details, seeing it first time. Thanks for sharing it. Really Appreciate all your help.

@Somo2020 Here are responses for few questions which are addressed.

1. FSU: Honors College is by invitation. If invited send the completed app by Mid Feb. First you need to apply by Nov 1 the college app. BTW it is not a BS/MD program. It is EAP. Their web site is not updated with dates related to 2020 cycle. So call them and get specific dates.
  2. Medical College of Georgia is NOT a classic BS/MD. It is EAP though their web site calls it BS/MD. Normally EAP programs are not restricted IS only. It is for the students who are already pursuing UG in that college.

General Notes to all:

Yes, the application process for college admission or BS/MD program is complex and overwhelming especially if first time going through this process.

Remember any site which claims consolidated / compiled are may not be up to date. The above site mentioned also, last updated is “Newly Updated in 2018”. Read them for general info. Always spend time on individual school sites and call or send email to them to get any clarifications.

@Somo2020

Adding to what @rk2017 and @GoldenRock have said:

RE: Medical college of Georgia: This is tied up with Augusta University.

Yes, it is a true BS/MD program (not an EAP). It is a 7-year program. It is called the Professional Scholars Program (PSP).

You have to apply to Augusta University before Nov 15 and if selected will be given a supplemental application (I believe by mid-December) which needs to be completed by Jan 15.

It is open to all but preference is given to residents of Georgia.

@Westerngirl

While choosing undergrad options, it may be better to consider the major as well.
For Plan B (if not medicine than what), College alone with not help.

Let me give you an hypothetical example:

You decide to major in biology from an “ivy league” university versus computer science from a public university. Your options with computer science will be a lot more even if it is not from an “ivy league” university.

Think through your plan B options and choose your major in undergrad wisely.

@Somo2020

The link I shared earlier got removed :-), seems you got it and bookmark in your browser for future reference. As I mentioned it may not be all that accurate but gives general idea.

@NoviceDad , I may be wrong but I think Augusta is not a guaranteed bs/md. I found the following lines on their website. I think @GoldenStateDad is right.

Additional requirements of students in the BS/MD program include successful completion of an interview following the first year of study, maintaining a cumulative and science + math GPA of 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7 at the end of the first, second, and third year respectively,

https://www.augusta.edu/scimath/biology/bs-md-dmd.php

Well now everyone knows who is Robin Kuriakose. :smiley:

Not me … I don’t know who he or she is!

@mygrad2021

I checked your link. I stand corrected.
@GoldenRock had it correct. @Somo2020 please note.

It is EAP requiring an interview but interestingly it is after year 1 of undergrad.

Also it seems some EAPs are practically like guaranteed programs, even though it is mentioned students need to interview. Remember someone mentioning earlier here that FAU is one such program, as long as the student meets the other requirements, interview being a formality … (Think the same program is also generous with price breaks for NMF semi finalists).
One may want to search out for any such programs (i.e. wrt the role of the interview) either by speaking to or writing to the folks of these EAP programs before deciding whether or not to apply.

… or in other words one needs to find out what % age of the students in the given EAP program and satisfying all the requirements will graduate/matriculate into the med school after the interview. (Not all programs may reveal that info, but no harm in trying to find out and then use your judgement on whether or not to go for applying there)

Happened to check the FAU web site, if interested don’t get dissuaded by the seemingly high 4.3 weighted gpa as the requirement for applying to the program. I am sure it is given on the Florida State scale, just need to figure out how to translate ones gpa into that scale or vice versa. Don’t hesitate to contact them over phone or email if need be. They seem to have a good support system and attitude, reading from their site.