***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@NoviceDad , Where can we find the Penn state Id? Would the counselor be able to find that information through their portal?

@NoviceDad My understanding is that we will get penn state id only after we submit our application through common app.

Yeah, you submit the application first, get the id and give it to counselor and/or teachers(s) for them to mention as a reference in their recommendation(s).

Any issues there?

@rk2017
thank you - makes sense now.

You may be able to get the id even by starting the application, not necessarily submitting it.
Start the application, fill in some basic information and save it. Give the application id to whoever it is required of and keep continuing to work on the app and submit when finally done.

That way no dependency on different processes and both the applying and recos can proceed independent of each other.

It has been a while so donā€™t remember all the details perfectly :slight_smile:

@brown2024 @Somo2020 @coolguy456 @rk2017

I do NOT know about the common app for PennState but if you initiate your application using PennState online app and reach the tab for recommendations, you will get a link to download the Cover Sheet. The ID gets automatically printed.

You do NOT have to submit the application to download the cover sheet.

@NoviceDad , @rk2017 , Thank you. My Daughter got the Penn State ID today.

@NoviceDad , @rk2017 , We couldnā€™t locate it in the Common App where to download the coversheet. Also logged in to the Penn state portal, but couldnā€™t locate it either.

If any body applied this year, would you be able to guide here ,Please!

@Somo2020

I thought Penn State have their own online application. Why are you even considering common app? As @NoviceDad pointed out, you should be able to get the cover sheet once you reach the recommendation tab. Have you tried that?

@Somo2020 @rk2017 @NoviceDad I checked with penn state counsellor and she confirmed that we can send the LOR without pennstate Id. @Somo2020 please try calling up or email the penn state UG office if you have questions about penn state Id. I am applying through common app and will send the LOR to UG office.

@coolguy456 @Somo2020
Yes got the same response - if you are applying common app and school is sending LOR through naviance then everything will be linked up by the ID - no separate cover sheet required.

Do the BS/MD admissions officers look at your essays for undergraduate admissions, or just the essays specifically asked by the BS/MD program?

@kelpjuce

it depends.

For example, Pitt specifically says that only the GPA and test scores are forwarded from the undergrad

@ramen2020
Thanks for the help. Where did you find that info - was it on their website or was it on an email you got?

It was on the supplemental GAP application

Is there a separate REMS application or just the question that is on the common app? In the past, there was a separate app but I donā€™t see any mention of it any more. Just decided to apply to this and unsure what exactly is due by 11/15

Also is test optional also allowed for REMS

@darkalley

On a quick look at REMS site, it appears there is no separate application. Just UG app before Nov 15th and mention interested in REMS program. Cut & Paste

"There is no separate application supplement for any of the Combined Degree Programs.

To be considered for one of these programs, indicate the program youā€™re applying for in the application portal youā€™ve chosen. Counselors will consider your entire application along with any additional supporting materials (transcripts, recommendations, etc.)."

https://enrollment.rochester.edu/combined-degree-programs/rems/

https://enrollment.rochester.edu/how-to-apply/

@darkalley

Below is what is said on their FAQ. It is in your best interest to present a strong standardized test score(s), unless you have some very eye catching accomplishments such a couple of research publications or a coveted award and such.

"Do I have to submit test results to any of Rochesterā€™s competitive programs, such as REMS, or if I want to earn a scholarship?

The REMS admission rate is about 2%. If you believe that your test results help reinforce the strength of your overall application to REMS, you should submit them. However, all candidates with an interest in REMS will receive the same thorough review, whether they submit test scores or not. The same is true for scholarships. Test scores are not required to compete for any of Rochesterā€™s scholarships, including our National Merit scholarships. However, applicants interested in scholarships can submit test scores."

I have a question relating to traditional route. What is considered ā€œin stateā€ medical school? Where the parents reside or where the student graduates from? For example we live in NYS - if my DS attends undergraduate in Pennsylvania or Boston, what would be considered as his ā€œin stateā€ medical schools?

@brown2024 In general it is where you graduated from HS, parents live and filing tax returns if C dependent etc.,

Going to a UG school does not make that state as your IS.

Pennsylvania has weird stuff. Really does not matter that much for that medical schools, whether IS or OOS.

Your question needs more research on the state rules, specific medical schools rules.

Note, IS or OOS for admission may at times differ from getting state tuition fees.

There is no straight and simple answer.