***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@brown2024

I believe generally it will be NYS for your son regardless of where he graduates from. For public med schools that is. For private like Cornell, Columbia, AMC, NY Medical College it doesn’t matter since the tuition and fee doesn’t take state residency into account. Also it won’t matter for NYU if he will be lucky to get in. But it may help getting into them though based on state of residency. You may want to review AAMC stats on that.

I have heard of a student who finished undergrad in Boston but came back to NJ to enroll in med school for instate price breaks.

Some med schools may allow instate residency status (TX, CT ?) based on student’s stay in that state for x number of years and/or maintaining a residency there during undergrad(rental apartment). Not sure of complete list of states though. Others here may chime in.

1 Like

Reg FAU … My son is in BS/MD Program and as i mentioned in earlier post interview is formality as long as program requirements are met.
Go ahead and apply and decide later.

First time on here–my daughter was denied an application to Northwestern HPME–she is not looking at any other BS/MD programs but thought she’d try for this one. She is very interested in medicine and my husband and I are MDs but she has no research experience (has a heavy and varied extracurricular load). However, the request for the application asks for none of these things, merely for the stats below:

GPA 4.57 out of 4.0 Weighted, 4.0/4.0 unweighted, no class rank but probably top 2% in class of 650
ACT: 36 in one sitting 35 english, 36 math, 36 science, 36 reading
SAT: 1570 in one sitting 800 math 770 verbal
SAT II: Math2 780, Chemistry 590

Moral of the story: Study for your chemistry subject tests and take them immediately after taking chemistry!! She took honors chemistry her sophomore year and took the SAT 2 tests cold, thinking she would take them in November, but she is currently unable to. Thus she sent in the bad SAT II scores (I’m certain with a little studying she would have gotten 800 in Math 2). Encouraged her to study but she decided not to. Ugh!

@shufang It is nice of you to post. Agree, Chem score is not good. In general if the score is not good, unless explicitly asked no need to submit. Also for all you know it could be for any other reason, schools may or may not invite. Score is just one thing only.

@rk2017 , @NoviceDad - Rutgers REMS Asks for Optional Family/Community Recommendation Form and Interview Sign up.

Does the Family recommendation form add any considerations to the application?

@JBourne5 , As per the FAU website, deadline is Jan 10th 2020. Has anything changed or Am I missing any deadlines?

@Somo2020

Confused, which one did you say Rutgers/RWJS or NJMS or Rochester/REMS.

I am not familiar with that requirement but imagine it will be good for someone with a heavy voluntary background like Scouts or working in a senior assisted living facility and such. If you can get a glowing letter from someone, go for it. Otherwise don’t bother since it is optional. Routine run of the mill letters won’t be any helpful.

One thing that I can think of though is if the student is involved in taking care of an elderly family member for an extended period and gets his/her statement. This can to some extent also explain why he/she had to curtail some other activities that one may have wanted to pursue but couldn’t. That may add some value, but since it will be a family category not sure how much they will believe and what weight age they are going to give it. But take the interview if you can.

@shufang

Your D did not consider retaking the SAT 2 Chemistry? Not enough time?

@rk2017 ,Thanks for the reply. Since my D is applying to many I got confused with the colleges.
It was for Rochester - REMS.

Here is the Link to this.

https://enrollment.rochester.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Family-Community-Recommendation-Form.pdf

@Somo2020

ROCHESTER REMS - family or community recommendation has limited value, unless it is going to provide a perspective that no other LORs have provided.

@shufang

You have highlighted an important aspect about decisions students take.

One reason could be over-confidence in one’s abilities and another is that they are stressed for time and sometimes ignore good parental advice.

Be positive - NU and BU are only two colleges which specifically ask for Chem score.
There are many good schools where you can apply.

@brown2024
My understanding that to become a resident of a state, you have to do the following:

1. have a local address
  2. become a registered voter of that state
  3. file taxes as a resident in that state

If your DS has any income (from part-time work or peer tutoring) and decides to do above, he can claim “in-state” status.

PLEASE CHECK WITH LOCAL STATE RULES AND MEDICAL SCHOOL RULES AND CONFIRM IF THEY ALLOW THIS.

Posting for my daughter.
She had registered for Nov 2nd SAT Chem. Don’t think it’s happening. So, we will be skipping both NU and BU. Bummer…because she really wanted to apply to NU.
That said, I think we are done with taking tests at this point. (Not that there’s a choice!) :smiley:

ORM (Indian-American)

GPA: 4.46 (W)

10 APs, never had the time to take AP tests.

ACT : 35

Reading: 36, Science: 36, English: 34 and Math: 33

SAT Subject Tests:

SAT Math Level 2: 800
SAT Biology: 770

EC:
Short Track Speedskating (2019 Ladies A/B National Champion), US Short Track Junior Development Team member, Youth Olympics Trials - 5th

Community service: 450+ hours (3 years of volunteering at hospitals)

1 week - Shadowing in Acute Treatment Ward
Internship at an MRI lab (Department of Radiology, Thomas Jefferson University)

Considering the time she spends training for her sport (6 days a week), she hardly has time for any other activities.

@Somo2020 @JBourne5

As per FAU’s website, “Although you can apply to both university and the Medical Pipeline program in parallel (i.e. at the same time), you must be admitted to FAU & Wilkes Honors College to take part of the program.”

It appears you must apply separately to the undergraduate program and to the Medical Pipeline program and before Jan 10, FAU must have admitted to their undergraduate program.

@Somo2020 @JBourne5

Re: FAU

I called their office of admissions and the folks there as well as at the registrar’s office (where I was transferred to ) are clueless about the program and deadlines.

I was told there are no Jan 10 deadlines at FAU.
I asked how much time it takes to process an application and again they were clueless and indicated they do not know.

It seems the FAU admissions office call center is not staffed with folks who can answer our questions.

Since one has to be admitted by Jan 10 at FAU (as per website) and ASSUMING 6 weeks of application review time, it is best to apply to FAU undergrad by Nov 30.

@NoviceDad,@rk2017,@goldenrock
I can tell from previous conversations that
FSU = Florida State University = EAP
FAU = Florida Atlantic University = BS/MD

Can someone tell me UCF Burnett Medical Scholars is what time of program ? is it guaranteed admission? If it is How would you compare FAU and UCF ?
Thank you so much in advance.

I haven’t received the Drexel portal for the supplemental application yet, even though I submitted over three days ago. Has anyone been able to access it?

@“BSMD mom”

This sentence which is their program requirement tells me that it is not guaranteed:

"They must pass an interview at the College of Medicine in early fall (August/September) of the 3rd year. "

We don’t know if the interview is a mere formality (as is supposedly being quoted on this forum about FAU) or can be a filtering criterion.

Besides, I find the GPA >= 3.8 and MCAT minimum of 514 (90+ % ile) rather high and demanding. Also it is not accelerated (i.e. your AP credits are worthless).

Far more reputed and guaranteed programs are far more liberal on all these aspects. So while I wouldn’t recommend the program per se, if you have time in spending on their application process, no harm doing that and defering the decision based on how things turn out in the next 6 months.

@Somo2020 ,@NoviceDad
Reg FAU
One should be admitted to Undergraduate program at FAU (boca campus) or FAU wilkes honor college (jupiter campus) before Medical pipelines program deadline Jan 2020. Agree with @NoviceDad apply early considering holidays in december, processing time etc… FAU calls for interviews late Feb.
Fyi…
FAU main campus is big and lot of student activity. Wilkes honor college is very small campus but close to Scripps research and Max Plank Neuroscience.

Also between UCF and FAU, the research funding from NIH as a sample indicator, seems similar. So it doesn’t appear a big gap in quality or whatever.

With FAU, assuming the interview is indeed a formality, lower MCAT (510) and saving a year, seems like a better choice.

UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA ORLANDO FL UNITED STATES 32 $9,691,789

FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY BOCA RATON FL UNITED STATES 20 $7,340,556