***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Hi all,

Is it too early to discuss about 2021 BSMD ? Can someone help create a new thread for it ?
Thanks,

@ttbl263

Feel free to post your questions and info sharing in this thread for now.

We can create around june 2020 when this cycle ends. Thanks for your understanding.

@GoldenRock:Thank you for quick reply.

@rk2017 , @NoviceDad , Thank you for the reply. The counselor has already sent the recommendation letter 2 weeks ago.But the Rutgers application requires a counselor to review and acknowledge the application.

On the application portal again we send an email to the counselor and he replied back with the Rec letter.As soon as this is completed, we were able to submit the application on Nov 1st.

Also the time to submit the app was 11 UTC, which was 4 PST.Tried calling the number and also send an email to the person who was listed on the site but havenā€™t heard back anything.

Rutgers process seems to be very different :frowning:

Hello All,

For the Upitt GAP program, which email ID we have to send the official Transcript?

I believe the initial application requires Transcript & ACT/SAT scores sent over to the UG admissions ?

How many applications does your student plan on doing? We have looked at the lists over and over, and I think Kid #2 has selected 17 programs. Is this too many/in range/too low?

only doing 10 because quality > quantity.

@mom2boys1999 As long as your kid can complete the application process tasks, nothing wrong with the count. But make sure the list includes not only BS/MD programs but few UG only schools where s/he will be comfortable to do the UG.
The BS/MD admission process is unpredictable and no harm in applying too many if the kid is clear about medical career choice.

It depends on how strongly someone wants to attend a BS/BA/MD route. There have been students on this forum, some of them extremely accomplished, who only wanted to go this route and if it didnā€™t work out were fine with going to a local state school for undergrad and try in traditional route. So they could afford to focus on as many as possible of these programs that they liked. If I recollect correctly, some even upto >= 15. Since they were relieved of the burden of writing all these creative writing types of essays for fancy schools for traditional undergrad had they chosen to apply for them (which I am sure they could have gotten into some)

If some one has aspirations for fancy brand names too (traditional route) then they need to split their time and energies and manage the deadlines so it may not be advisable to apply to too many of these direct med programs, otherwise they run the chances of spreading themselves too thin. I would say not more than 6-8.

@Somo2020

Re: Transcript:
UPItt website says the following:

High school academic information. You can send us a transcript, but we encourage you to submit our Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) instead. Completing the SRAR is easy ā€“ just fill it out to match your transcript exactly ā€“ and it speeds up your application processing time.

@Somo2020

Every college has their little quirks - which is what makes this process interesting!

@NoviceDad , Thank you.We were able to report it in the SRAR.

Hello,

My D has been applying to the BS MD programs through common App and mentioned the AP classes she took and the score that she got in the school, but never mentioned about her actual AP scores( All 5ā€™s and 4ā€™s).we were under the assumption that you have to send it only when you are accepted in to the program.
Could someone please advice. I saw the 2019 thread and somebody mentioned about the AP scores. We wanted to make sure we are not missing anything in the process.

Thanks Everyone for all the help!

@Somo2020

I think they have a column in common app asking for the standardized test scores for APs (1-5 range?), donā€™t they? I think this is what you are expected to self report, not the school letter grades in those subjects or anything else. And yes no need to send the official AP scores yet.

@Somo2020 Just looked at my Dā€™s 2016 common app.

GPA you report the HS GPA which may include if the kid is doing the AP courses.

But in testing section, if you opted to report AP Tests taken, then both AP name and score is reported.

AP Scores play role more after a student joins a college than admission. Only when AP score is sent, that college if they allow give credit for an equivalent college course which may help to do a higher level course earlier than later. It is useful especially in big public schools like U of California where many times very hard to complete courses and get it done in 4 years.

Hi
New here, inquiring for my D; Do BS/MD programs require or prefer students who take ACT/SAT WRITING over non writing tests ? I only came acrossNorthwestern saying they require writing but none others. Wondering if anyone has any insight to this. Thank you in advance.

@force1 Unless a school/program explicitly states, it is not required.

Said that, it is good students should take with writing to understand where they stand. Writing is so critical in any profession to advance the career (not just the analytical skill alone).

Also realize the writing test and in general the SAT and ACT differs so much. So in the best interest of the student, it is better to take both SAT and ACT (than taking same test multiple times).

Example of actual score: SAT writing 800 but overall score in all 3 sections are 2300.
ACT overall score 36 but writing section 32.

@force1

I will let @NoviceDad and anyone else having direct knowledge of the program weigh in, but have checked the stats on their portal. The average ACT writing of the accepted students of 2018-19 cycle was 12. That is the max one can get in writing and corresponds to a 100% ile. They havenā€™t given the SAT writing section details though.

So it looks like the program may not be ideal target for anyone not having a perfect ACT writing. If you had taken ACT then better try your luck in SAT too and donā€™t submit ACT at all for that program unless you got the max writing score. Or drop it from your list of programs to apply to.
You may want to talk to or send an email to the admissions folks of that program with any questions on the importance of this section.

Apart from this, believe one of the feeder schools for NJMS, Rutgers NWK also asks for writing but donā€™t provide any stats. Other feeder schools of the same program donā€™t ask for it.

Note: Some schools insist on writing portion of ACT for undergrad bcoz the ELA section score which is combination of this, English and Reading sections canā€™t be calculated otherwise. Then they may (or not) look at the ELA section (on a 36 scale) as part of their criteria. However in the above case they havenā€™t specified the score on a 36 scale.

@force1 @rk2017

NU does require the writing score but do not sweat too much about it.
I believe you are ok if you score >=8 (out of 12).
It is just one element among others.

According to ACT, writing scores of 8 = 90% ile, 9 = 96, 10&11 = 99 and 12 = 100