***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

From the wordings on the NU HPME portal page it appears the program admissions committee seems to carry some bias against ACT (even as most students applying to their undergrad do submit ACT)
No super scoring for ACT, it is being viewed as a “substitute” and getting a 12 on ACT writing is far more unlikely than getting a SAT 1554 (with no mention of writing section score)

Entrance Exams
Applicants are required to take the SAT Reasoning Exam and SAT Subject Exams in Math Level 2 and Chemistry. The ACT may be substituted for the SAT Exam. There are no substitutions for the Math Level 2 and Chemistry Subject Exams.

The SAT can be superscored on our request form and application. The ACT cannot be superscored.

While there are no minimum standardized test scores required for the HPME, we do anticipate that our applicants will have scored well on their college entrance exams. The average test scores from the previous application cycle are listed below:

Average Test Scores from 2018–2019 Application Season
SAT Exam
SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 762
SAT Math: 792
ACT Exam
ACT Composite: 35
ACT Writing: 12

@rk2017 , @GoldenRock , Thank you for the prompt reply.
My Daughter is now updating the common APP with her AP score. I realized now that she got 3 in Chemistry.Her Transcript has the AP Chem on the list but is it a good idea to not report that?

Also , so far she has applied to 7 colleges in which she didn’t mention the AP scores in the common App.Will this be a negative factor for college considerations? Is it a good idea to still send the AP scores for the college she already applied(Deadline was Nov 1st).

Please advice!

@Somo2020

Don’t worry about the AP score in one subject. I have heard of students with 3s in APs getting interviews too.

Yeah it may be better that you update the 7 programs you already applied about the AP test scores by sending update emails. No need of sending actual reports. Since you already applied before the deadline, it should not be an issue. They will simply add the info you provide to your application package file.

Can anyone shine some light on Montclair State BS MD Program? What is the number of slots? Percentage of acceptance? Priority for minority? etc. Thank you.

@sajju786 Hi Sajju786, Novicedad referred you name . Any inputs that you can give or share your experience for above? Thanks in advance.

@rk2017 , Thank you.

Done

Can anybody help with the following questions?

1. Is UConn BSMD program a guaranteed program or an early assurance program? I found students need to go through interview at their senior year again.
  2. Is University of Houston's BSMD an in-state only program?
  3. Did anybody have past application experience with OU's MHSP program?

Thanks a lot for the help!

@ramen2020 or anyone else that got GAP supplemental for Pitt
I finished and was accepted into regular undergrad Pitt, I was wondering when (how much time after u submitted/were accepted into undergrad) did you get the supplemental?
Thanks!

@JustLearning123 , Did you apply through Upitt portal or Common APP?
My Duaghter applied last week but the portal says her application is incomplete.We will have to follow up on Tuesday.

@seapdx2002

1. UConn - Agree, their web site confuses. It used to be BS/MD and not EAP. Hope some one who enrolled last year can comment. Check previous years results threads and see who enrolled there and PM them.
  1. OU MHSP, I am familiar. What are your questions?
  2. Houston. Are you referring JAMP? If JAMP it is for TX residents. I could not find any other BS/MD program in Google search.

@GoldenRock

Thanks for the quick response. I just sent PM regarding the Q2 & 3.

@Somo2020 I applied through the common app.

@seapdx2002 Since your PM is generic questions, to benefit others, responding in open forum.

1. UH: SA: Send a mail to HBS@uh.edu. LA: Agree, hardly any info their web site provides. But it appears similar to the BS/MD program of 2016 cycle. It was open to all and I guess it is open to all now also. 5 students for UH and 5 for UTMB. But student need to go thru interview with both and end up in higher ranking to get selected. It is not JAMP.
  2. OU: MCAT: Students need to score same or better than previous year matriculating students. 79 percentile (509).

Years: 8 year program. But students can graduate early also. But if graduate early
need to join the MD right away at OU.

Deadline: It is a 3 step process:
Step 1: Apply for UG (deadline 12/15). But would strongly recommend to apply ASAP, no later than 12/1
Step 2: Apply to Honors College. But first you should have got admission to OU (and then they will give a link to apply for Honors). Not able to locate the deadline (since need OU access). But apply ASAP once got admission to OU and got the links to apply to Honors college.
Step 3: Apply to MHSP program. Deadline 1/15

Interview 3/23 & 3/27

http://www.ou.edu/honors/specialprograms/MedHumanitiesScholarship/admissionsprocess

Class of 2023:
https://www.oumedicine.com/docs/default-source/DeansOffice/class-of-2023-profile.pdf?sfvrsn=0

@GoldenRock when applying for the honors program, the MHSP questions were also on there. are the 2 applications combined?

Does everyone get the HPME and UPitt supplementals if they have the minimum scores and requirements to apply or do they filter for second round of apps submission ?

@ramen2020

I am not sure since can not access the OU Honors Application (needs OU Id and pwd). It appears Honors and MHSP are 2 different applications. But any one applied to OU Honors need to comment.

Bottom line, before applying to MHSP, should have got admission to OU UG and probably to OU Honors college also. That is why it is critical to send the OU UG app and Honors App ASAP.

@seapdx2002
UHouston BS.MD program is with UTHealth and UTMB i.e. The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) and The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (UTMB). Total 10 seats. 7-year program. Biased towards in-state.

UHouston does NOT yet have an accredited medical school though very recently are planning to intake their inaugural class of 30 students. The focus is primary care. They have very recently hired the Founding Dean of the medical school.

@mi2019
Generally yes.
HPME looks at Chem Subject test scores and high scores.
I have seen students with <= 700 Chem score not getting invited.

For Pitt-GAP, they have the entire undergrad application before you get a supplemental.

@sajju786
thank you