***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

@moodybluepapaya ,

[QUOTE=""]

It is more of taking the ranking list, taking the school’s website (both UG and SOM), and ultimately your own gut feel about a school (after visiting) that determines where you decide to go.

[/QUOTE]

Sure.

[QUOTE=""]

I have also seen many ranking lists and wonder why on earth such and such a school was placed above another, but it’s all in the metrics used.

[/QUOTE]

These seem to be the metrics of the link medicalschools.start. FYI.

“Our Smart Rank analyzes each school’s statistics, such as mean GPA, average MCAT score, acceptance rate, faculty-student ratio, financial aid, and endowment per student”

This is a good time to dig into few options b4 next week decisions influx.
This is what we are exploring. It is known that UMich medical school has much higher reputation. My DC is accepted in UMich LSA for UG. Now we are trying to figure out how that UMich relationship may be beneficiary from UG to medical school route. If someone can share their experience or have some information about it.

[QUOTE=""]
After all it is mostly what one makes out of the opportunities around more than the school itself.

[/QUOTE]

Responding to my own comments earlier, yesterday released match day results at Robert Wood Johnson (not so highly regarded in most of these rankings)

https://amp.mycentraljersey.com/amp/433422002

As @PPofEngrDr mentioned earlier, residency match day just passed and this year’s results are available online for some schools. I just saw AMC’s. It was interesting to see the names of several students who led the tours for us and see where they matched. It is great that they got exactly what they wanted based on what they shared with us on interview days.

@TTV2018 match day results can get you good understanding for different flavors BA/MD programs outcome. I am trying to get sense of traditional route for University of Michigan LSA UG to University of Michigan Medical School for graduation (medical school is top notch no questions about it, just looking at match results for UMich Medical school, it won’t gave me an understanding where those Drs came from, rather where they going). Would like to have some understanding when you have an UG admission in hand at same university. My DC hasn’t applied to any east coast BA/MD programs.

Did NW HPME notifications come out ?

No, to my understanding they come out a day or so after regular NW undergraduate decisions come out, which have not yet been released. Checking on the NW RD thread it looks like they might be out as late as next Saturday…

@PPofEngrDr I hope someone who knows UMich undergrad and med school can chime in. I don’t have personal knowledge of them.i hope you are able to find reliable info.

I was just mentioning the Match day as it gives fresh info about the earlier discussion about med school ranking/reputation. Based on my quick study of last two years ( east coast med schools and of programs I am interested in), residency matches were independent of the reputation/name of the graduating med school. But it is a subjective observation, I’ll admit. Many matched to the same school they graduated from, but there is no pattern.

[QUOTE=""]

I am trying to get sense of traditional route for University of Michigan LSA UG to University of Michigan Medical School for graduation (medical school is top notch no questions about it, just looking

[/QUOTE]

@PPofEngrDr,

I too don’t know what are the chances of UMich undergrads making it to the Medical school. Though I believe the students from there may get special consideration while applying to the med school of the same university, you have to also consider the competition from within. I believe UMich is a big school with multiple campuses with Ann Arbor being the biggest and the most prestigious. Since the school is highly reputed no doubt will attract many students of high credentials and they all compete with each other for a limited seats at the med school next door. (I don’t know the figures, you may have to dig into it). I also don’t know if UMich is a difficult school as for as curriculum and gpa, feasibility of maintaining medical/voluntary/research ECs etc. are concerned. They will play factors if they have to apply else where upon graduation.

Regarding the actual statistics of how many from UMich make it to Med school there, you should have inquired in person with the admissions officers there upon your college visit (if you had one). There was this parent asking similar question to the admissions officer in private at Johns Hopkins when we went there for D’s college visit couple of years ago. The officer had given some figures which definitely appeared to be favorable to the graduates from there (don’t remember details now) but he also mentioned that number is from a large pool of pre med aspirants from within the institution.

BU smed !!! Trying to get in contact with other people who got accepted. Not sure how to do that or how this website really works.

If my memory serves me well I think I overheard the admissions official at JHU mentioning something like low 20s from JHU undergrad/grad students making the cut to the med school there that year. I thought that was a decent 15 to high teen percentage of the overall annual enrollment. But again, I don’t think he mentioned the size of the applicant pool from within JHU, just hinted it was significant.

@Busmed148,

Congratulations! I believe there are a few other here who got selected to the same program. Try sending them private messages by clicking on any of their user names and sending a message one at a time or even adding more names to the recipient list of a single msg. Also keep checking your inbox if someone already sent you private message and respond.

I got into UNR BS-MD!!!

@LivingTheMoment Best reach out to @chasingdreams21 since you get valuable info from students who are currently pursuing.

I peeked at LIM today and my perspective for the 2 key concerns you have.

1. Course load. It is doable. It is not some thing totally different from what other 4 year UG student have to go thru. Basically LIM program structured & comprehensive and no additional need to fulfill the GE like regular UG students, which essentially forming the second non-science major. Being trimester (not sure why it is called this way rather quarter system), it is expecting 3 courses per term until later years and need to do 4 courses if MBA (rather than MS). (Essentially the same 12 course for both MS/MBA options). Summary not to be concerned here.
  2. Fees. Agree Union is expensive. After 1st year, if opted to go off campus living it can save $6.5k. Still I would say it will cost around $120 for 4 years beyond the $32k/yr aid. So depending on your financial situation you need to make the call. But unless s/he got a full ride, any other UG program or JHU also will cost some money. So need to weigh in that also. Also remember JHU is tough to get a strong GPA which is a one of the 2 critical factors when sorting the MD app in the first place.

If student is comfortable and at ease with LIM, as a parent give the green signal and it is a good choice. GL.

@PPofEngrDr & Others:

As a regular reader of all the posts in all the threads under ‘Pre-Med Topics’ of CC here are few points of summary.
(not my personal opinion or acknowledgement).

1. Unlikely there is a special consideration just because a student is from the same university UG, whether it is public or private university.
  2. There is no special factor / formula to recalculate the GPA based on reputation/ranking/ivy or grade deflate/inflate
  3. It is at the end of the day, what students have done and how well s/he took the 4 year opportunity to prepare for MD admission.
  4. Lot of information / tables available from AMCAS and they give data from different perspective and it is up to the individual in using the data for their evaluation of both UG and MD school selection.
  5. You should be able to find the class profile which may answer some specific data you are looking, from which UG schools UofM admitted. It may not have specific data you are looking like exact # of students from a specific UG school. Almost every MD school publishes 1-2 page class profile. Example. https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/md-program/our-community/students-faculty/admitted-class-profile
  6. UG schools publish and also extensively advertise during information session of their pre-med success. (for example JHU 20 students or 15% etc). Pay close attention to ignore that stat. Because not every school uses the same set of base and criteria nor any school gives how did they arrive at that number. It is tweaked data to project they are the best for pre-med. It will not tell how many pre-med started, how many dropped or is it based on the students counts pre-med committee given the LOR or the student count per graduating class or includes alumni (gap year) students etc
  7. Choose a school where the student feels at ease and in the top 25% of the average entering class. Because s/he need to be top of that class to get good A since GPA and MCAT are the undisputed factors when filtering the big pile of applications in to small pile. Then equally important or more important is all other factors (demonstration of your dedication to medicine, what accomplished, essays, interviews, demographics and other factors as published in AMCAS site).

@GoldenRock, @LivingTheMoment and I have been private messaging. :slight_smile:

I agree with the two points @GoldenRock brings up–very well said, thank you. The course load is certainly doable, especially in comparison to other med programs or pre-med undergrad at a normal college (which I think would be more difficult). The point of the “ID major” is to allow students to pursue an interest in the humanities and to dilute difficult science courses, and the MBA classes have a similar effect. Cost is a concern, but I gave @LivingTheMoment some options of programs students participate in on campus to help pay for tuition.

For anyone deciding between an MD program and traditional undergrad, I would advise keeping in mind the very competitive GPA needed for applying to med school. While you may have to maintain a high GPA in one of the bs/md programs, at least you won’t have to do as many clinical hours and resume work, which allows you to focus on school and have some free time, in turn being less stressful (in my experience).

I am very happy in the LIM program and believe that students in this program have a very good “quality of life”/college experience.

Is there a facebook group for Siena/AMC class of 2022?

To all who are interested in the traditional route from pre-med to MD:

From JHU website:“Nationally, over half of the applicants to medical school take at least one year prior to matriculating.  This trend appears to be even more striking at Johns Hopkins, where recent patterns demonstrate that over 80% of first time applicants to medical school take at least one gap/bridge year between graduating from Johns Hopkins and applying to medical school.”

So if you want to go traditional pre-med power house like JHU, WashU, Duke, etc, be ready to take on toughest peer competition and take one or more gap years (80% of first time appliants). In many cases during gap years, people lost direction and perspectives in the turbulant world around them and never get back into med. school.

Thank you all, I am still learning a lot from these view point and different factors to consider b4 making a choice, in hindsight that is the fear that you make a decision w/o full knowledge and understanding, this dialogue certainly helping us to clear some air.We will post all our options on table here once we have clear picture and seek more down-to-earth opinion.

Congrats to everyone with multiple acceptances!!!

For those that have been accepted to REMS, SMED, VCU, RPI, Penn State, Cincinnati, Baylor how are you going to decide? We are in a similar situation and looking to hear from others in similar situation. DD is still waiting to hear back from a few programs and has a few interviews left in March.