***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Anyone has some input on UCLA for the undergrad? pros and cons? We are from CA…thanks

Anyone hear from Texas tech UMSI?

@Metsfan7860, why are the credits from CCNY non-transferable to other colleges? You know that is total nonsense!

There is a poster on this forum whose daughter graduated from Harvard with high honors and she later did a postbac at CCNY, applied to medical school and was accepted at Washington University at St. Louis medical school. My friend’s sister completed her undergraduate degree at CCNY Grove School of Engineering (EE) and attended medical school at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Julian Flores, a student in the CCNY Macaulay Honors College, won a scholarship to Harvard Medical School.
https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/commencement/flores

Another CCNY ChemE grad, a doctoral candidate at Princeton University via Linked In.
/dane-christie-99012936/

etc.
https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/commencement/bauer
https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/commencement/greatgradsarchive

So, it is not clear to me, what you mean by “other colleges wouldn’t accept the credits”. Could you elaborate?

I truly hope you can convince your parents to let you attend Rice (or Stony Brook). You do not like CCNY-Sophie Davis, the students are beneath you, so you will be miserable for the entire time there. Clearly, Sophie Davis is not a good fit. There are MANY kids waiting for that spot, who really aspire to be there and proud to be part of a program that historically ushered a large number of URM/low income students to achieved their long-term goal of being physicians. I’M ROOTING FOR YOU…GO RICE!!!

@dadofd , can you please private message me. I am not able to send a private message from my account. Really love your support in this group and would like to discuss some details about my daughter.

First of all congrats to you all who got into BS/MS programs this year.

@@ BluePanther - I’ve just been accepted to WashU’s Scholars Program in Medicine! I’m deciding between this, RPI/Albany, and UMKC. Do you guys have advice about what to choose? All guidance is very appreciated.

I would say to go with RPI/AMC, since Wash U’s scholar’s program is very vigorous and have to maintain 3.8 GPA and very high MCAT score, UMKC is low in medical school ranking, and has to finish in 6 years.
RPI/AMC is better reputable than UMKC and less than Wash U, and have to maintain 3.5 GPA and no MCAT

My thoughts. Good luck

Has anyone heard back from NJMS yet?

@Jamrock411 Because the Sophie Davis curriculum is specialized, the credits don’t transfer over to other colleges. I’ve read stories about people who have been kicked out for low grades, and they had to start their education over again at CCNY.

And honestly, I would rather my spot go to someone who is URM or who wouldn’t get the same opportunity elsewhere due to cost. And it’s not really that I feel the students are beneath me, but rather having students with strong academics around me, as I have had going to a competitive high school (many students get into HYPSM every year), really pushes me to do even better, as I feel I work harder to stand out.

But in the end, you’re right. I don’t like Sophie Davis, and I only applied because my mom forced me to. Thanks

@bsmdseeker I’ve been advised by many people to not go to UCLA or UCB for premed, as the competition is intense. They only give out limited As, so keeping up a good gpa will be very tough.

@Mimic17
I am not able to send you a direct message.
I have a question for you re: HPME.

Can you send me a direct message so that I can reply?

Texas tech Umsi just released, my kid is on waiting list.

@bsmdseeker UCLA is great school but classes are hard to get (fills up fast) and many are unable to finish in 4 years. Also competition among premed students is severe, so getting good grades would be harder.

@BluePanther
Wash U only takes 4-5 students for BSMD.
So you will be part of a very small group (not a negative).

But I have only heard horror stories about Wash U. They effectively make you compete with regular incoming MED class - same GPA and MCAT score as the incoming MED class.

Having said that please speak to current students to understand what the true scenario?

Would love to hear about UCONN’s program.
It seems like it isn’t as big of a topic on this very helpful thread.
I have learned so much for all of you.
Thank you in advance
any thoughts on UConn BS/MD

@jhbof3 Check 2016 cycle thread and locate the handle name of a parent whose 2 children went there. Best is to PM and get first hand feedback from existing students and their parents.

After u open the thread, go to the bottom and use search icon with ‘Uconn’ to narrow posts and locate that parent.

@hamzah25 we are also eagerly waiting to hear from NJMS/TCNJ…

@Mimic17,

May be I am reading it wrong, but are you sure RPI/Albany has a 3.5 gpa requirement? I would be very surprised if so, since it is one of the highest grade deflated schools after BU, MIT and Princeton (from that list :-). As far as I know they have neither GPA nor MCAT requirement.

BME at UCSD and at UCB vs FAU bsmd
Hello all, we are debating between the above options. My S is set for medical school. Any feedback is appreciated.

Both UCSD and UCB will be hard to get 3.7+ GPA

yes, RPI has 3.5 GPA requirement.

When someone on this forum gets an TCNJ/NJMS acceptance, could you please post? I’m not expecting much, but I have been anticipating the phone call ever since we reached the first week of April and I just want to know around when I should be getting a call with the rejection/acceptance.