***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Then RPI is a tough choice also with a 3.5 requirement

@rk2017 no MCAT at RPI, but yes a 3.5 gpa. MS3’s told me that they had to take ‘grade-buffer’ courses to maintain it since sometimes the average grades in their intro classes were C’s and D’s.

@bsmdseeker Hello. UCLA is a great university with a lot of resources. The only problem is that since UCLA is so competitive, only the top high school students attend. Competition is harder and curves are higher. This means it may be harder to get a higher GPA. Medical schools take undergrad prestige into consideration but GPA is a lot more important. If you believe you can get a high GPA in UCLA then you should go for it but remember it will be very difficult. The average total GPA for medical school matriculants is 3.7 according to the AAMC. This isn’t easy to obtain.

Everywhere, year by year GPA requirements are increasing, and getting tougher

Yes, when I attended the RPI/AMC interview last year, they specifically mentioned that one have to maintain 3.5 GPA in RPI UG and no MCAT

Regards to Wash U, I heard very scary stories, that if you can’t maintain 3.8 GPA, and high MCAT as incoming fresh pre-med UG into Wash U, you’ll be disqualified with no excuses.

Even at NU HPME, the UG NU GPA has been increased as follows pasted from their HPME website:

HPME students are required to take a sequence of science courses in Chemistry, Biology and Physics that will prepare them for the academic demands of medical school. HPME students entering Northwestern in fall 2018 and later must fulfill GPA requirements in their science courses (3.5 or above) and overall academic courses (3.65 or above). Current HPME students should refer to the HPME requirements documentation for the year in which they entered Northwestern to view their academic requirements and GPA requirements (available via the secured HPME site).

Good luck.

NJMS decisions are out!

@medhopeful0 thank you for the update! did you get a phone call? what undergrad school did you receive the decision from?

What time did you find out

@medhopeful0 Can you please let us know how did you know about it?

What is your feeder School?

@cd2030 My DS has just committed to FAU bsmd- from norCAL. We researched quite a bit before reaching this decision - spent hours and hours reading everyone’s comments on CC about pre-med traditional track vs. various bsmds.

We have friend who’s kids go to UCSD and UCB - the problem with both of those schools is that it is extremely difficult get research experience and UCB is not even near a hospital so an additional problem is where does one find shadow and hospital volunteer experience while attending college? My friend’s son is a sophmore biochemistry major at UCSD and he told me it is “impossible” to find research experience there. His gpa is 3.39 currently so he is worried that he can not bring it up high enough to apply to med school.

As for FAU - our understanding is that the 3.7 GPA and MCAT 510 should be achievable as long as the kid is diligent and hardworking. Consider the high caliber kids in the bsmd program this should NOT be a problem. The school official there told me they will help the kids arrange research, volunteer and shadow experiences. As for the interview my understanding it should be routine just to check to make sure the kids fullfill all the requirement. There are other bsmd programs that require interview and submit application to med school. such as Case Western’s bsmd.

Another thing thing to keep in mind is that the FAU SOM’s match is excellent with many matched to competitive specialties. Also the stats for the # of applicants for each seat in the med school is comparable to to schools like UC Davis medical school and other CA medical schools (for regular medical school admission, not for BSMD). So at regular admission time this school is extremely difficult to get into!!

Please take a look at the following link for reference:http://www.collegeadmissionspartners.com/college-admissions-counseling/bsmd-program-florida-atlantic/

Just my 2 cents
hope it helps! GL.

Hello, I am new this forum. Have visited before and have found information to be useful. Lot of the people are posting the same doubts we have. So here goes our dilemma.

DD has secured the following acceptances
BS/MD - RPI/Albany
Regular UG - Upenn (probably no financial aid), Rice ($15 k scholarship), UNC Chapel Hill (financial aid/scholarship not yet posted), Upitt (full tuition)

DD is torn between Upenn and PRI/AMC.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome and appreciated. thanks for all of you who help out students in this way.

@@bsmdmom - Go for RPI/AMC, since is a sure shot to direct MD program, going to Upenn is not a sure shot to MD program, even though is a very good UG program.
Unless u maintain a high GPA and MCAT sure to get into a decent MD program. Take any BS/MD program if you get one, my choice !!!

@bsmdmom If your DD is so clear medicine is her career choice and ready to go thru the long process, then go with RPI/Albany. GL

Thank you all, We are debating between Wash U(no aid 0$) and UCLA, Case UG is also an option
did talk to current students from UCLA, they are really happy there
but I have the same concerns as you, grade deflation, tough to get into classes
And also I heard kids almost always have to take gap year

@bsmdmom, since you can’t go through too far in the back reading the posts here, would recommend at least last one week’s reading.

@bsmdseeker what is ur home state? Did u get any aid at CWRU? Don’t throw CWRU before taking a deep look.

Have seen kids from CA (in state) who got in UCB, UCLA opted to go to CWRU.

@bsmder2k18 @sgnyc Yes, I got a phone call
@abdefgh 2:30pm

@medhopeful0 what school did you get the call from

he said he doesn’t want to say for anonymity

@abdefgh or she * ^^^