***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Has anyone heard from GWU/GWU BA/MD program?

@thetex , could you please share your stats, if you have no objections? Thank you

Did anyone apply to UAB EMSAP and/or have heard any news about the next round for interviews yet?

I am going to interview at Union/Albany.
What questions should I expect? Is anyone familiar with the process and all? Thank you!

@thetex - Brown PLME had no interviews in the previous years. Did they start this year?

Brown PLME doesnā€™t do medical interviews. Must be just an alumni interview for undergrad.

Anyone applied for Rochesterā€™s REMS?
When are interview invitations sent out?

@dolphin37 when did you hear back from AMC? When in your interview?

@m22499 Supplement application sent November 30, was due December 7.
Interview invitation December 20
Interview dates have two choices Jan 18 or 22

Are you IS or OOS, @dolphin37?

@ppst Out of state

Donā€™t know if Iā€™ve already said it but if you get an AMC interview, try to schedule for a Friday so you interview before you go to either RPI/AMC. It isnā€™t a great feeling to be anxious while you tour the school.

Does anybody know anyone who got into Brown PLME this year?

@dolphin37 When did you submit the application?

Same with my DD and congrats @dolphin37! Itā€™s nice that they try to accommodate OOS applicants.

Hello,
If any one got VCU direct med interview le me know, I will provide some tips. I think emails will com soon jan or FEB. I know How it works. I want to ask them some questions related hospital experience. Last year they select students they not even spent single hour in hospital.

1 Like

I have applied for VCU direct med program and I am sure might be getting interview.

It will be great be great if you can provide some tips for the med interview.

Also applied to VCU direct med program but Iā€™ve heard there is in-state preference.
@appstatus do you mind sharing whether u are IS or OOS? have you already heard back from VCU yet?
Also @DADINUSA would be great if you could provide tips

Has anyone heard back from UMKC?

@ADMission18 :" All VCU interviewees have significant shadowing experience; no distinction is made between clinic and hospital hours. Further, contrary to your claim of ā€œI know How it works,ā€ there is no such program referred to as direct med at VCU; they have a Guaranteed Medical Admissions Program, known locally as GMED."

I actually emailed and questioned VCU for its GAP accepted candidates had accumulated an average of 450 hours of healthcare-related experience
https://honors.vcu.edu/admissions/guaranteed-admission-programs/gmed-app/

especially, shadowing experience

as most of hospitals in US, there is an age restriction for the persons who involve shadowing, usually 18 years old.
(there are few hospitals allow 18 years old younger involving shadowing)

To volunteer in a hospital (make packets for the nurses) you have to be 13.
To volunteer in a hospital (move patients around) you have to be 16.
To volunteer in a hospital (have actual patient contact/clinical exposure) you have to be 18.

Based on VCU its own volunteering program for high school students (Junior Volunteer Program)
https://www.vcuhealth.org/for-your-health/volunteer-services/junior-volunteer-program

The VCU hospital ā€œVolunteer Opportunities for Junior Volunteersā€ program only expects volunteers to do

1. Welcoming and Wayfinding
  2. Pediatrics and Child Care
  3. Clerical and Office Tasks (There is NO shadowing arrangements for VCU its own high school Junior Volunteers program)

VCU knows all applicantsā€™ shadowing experience might NOT be true.
(You can always put shadowing hours in your applications)

Base on VCU website, ā€œVCU 2017 GAP accepted candidates had accumulated an average of 450 hours of healthcare-related experienceā€
which means you approximately have to serve average 3 hours healthcare-related volunteering job per week from your high school freshman, sophomore, and junior years (3 hours per week x 50 weeks per year x 3 years = 450 hours) then accumulate 450 hours to apply VCU GAP in your senior year.

Do BS/MD applicants require healthcare-related experience?
Absolutely
Do BS/MD applicants require average 450 hour healthcare-related experience?
Absolutely, if you want to apply VCU GAP