***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Is it a rejection if I haven’t received an HPME invite yet?

I don’t think so, not everyone seems to have gotten info from HPME nor posted interview times

Got rejected from Drexel, still waiting to hear from NJIT, TCNJ interview this weekend. The stress is SO REAL lol

Did anyone receive Hofstra invites today?

@bsmdhopefully If your DC is selected and attends NW HPME, how are you going to finance UG and medical school expenses?

@JKNietzsche no Hofstra emails for us today,

Thank you @Shine27. Let us see if tomorrow is the deadline.

Someone said hofstra invites are going out until the end of the week. Go back like two pages.

There is no financing available for NW UG or for HPME unfortunately, costs about 70k per year for HPME 7 years, plan for around 500k in total.

Doesn’t NW give financial aid for undergraduates?

@bsmdstudent101 Nope NW rarely gives any Financial Aid

All financial aid at Northwestern is awarded on the basis of family need. Like most private universities, we provide assistance to students who otherwise would not be able to attend. Families who believe that they cannot meet the cost of a Northwestern education with their available resources (parents’ and students’ incomes, savings, and other assets) should apply for financial aid.

The average financial aid award consists of a grant, a student loan, and part-time employment through the Federal Work-Study Program. Half of our undergraduates receive Northwestern grants, while 60 percent receive some form of financial aid.

Applicants must submit both the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for financial aid. For more information on financial aid, please contact the

Tuition and financial aid are both handled through each respective campus for HPME students. For more information, please see the links below:

Northwestern Undergraduate Financial Aid http://undergradaid.northwestern.edu/index.html

@bsmdstudent101 If you do’not qualify for need-based aid, no institution would give you $500k of merit base-based aid during 7 yrs (NW HPME). You may have to make alternative financial arrangements. Many parents are willing to spend $500k for their child.

I think it might be pretty evident to most people at this stage of college application process that Financial Aid is usually need based and merit-based scholarships are different from FA. It doesn’t sound very nice to say these kind of things (such as certain parents will spend money for their kids etc) on this thread without knowing the family situation and financial needs of the person you are talking to. No matter what their race, not all parents can afford to spend 500K on their child’s college education. They might have several other children to put through college. The kid whose parents can’t afford that much may be a bright student who might meet the FA requirements and other scholarships and loans. It is important not to taken on too much educational debt, even for med school, but speaking to the FA aid office directly might help.

If you file FAFSA, it will tell you based on your family situation, how much federal grants, loans and/or work-study is available to one. If you have done it, you know what to expect. CSS profile is mostly used by private institutions and should be filed as per institutional requirements and deadline.

@cd2030 Rice/Baylor doesn’t notify you about interviews until after you’re accepted to Rice undergrad (if accepted). From there, the interview is around the middle of April, and you find out close to a week before May 1st.

I think it’s pretty crazy how much of a scramble they make it, but that’s the price you pay for such a great program.

I believe every parent on this forum, not just of one ethnic group, would mortgage their homes and such if necessary to provide a good education for their children. Sure… HPME is the pinnacle of the bsmd arms race; however, any bsmd admission or even interview is an honor, and it is up to each family to understand their finances to plan/choose accordingly: distance,$$$, reputation, #years… all individual family choices.

sounds like nerves are now getting real pressure. Keep it simple whole America is running on loans, why do you want be be an exception?
@ppst agree with you about pride applicants should have in what have they achieved so far.

I am a physician in my 40s, who had no educational debt to pay off and consider myself incredibly lucky. Many of my physician friends have only paid off their debt within the last 5 years and some are still working on it. From what they told me, there is little help/ forgiveness given to educational debt. (Except some sign on bonuses etc some people receive from employers towards the debt when they take new jobs). I hope all students here find what is best suited to them without being saddled with too much debt. Best of luck to you all.

Getting ready to head out to Philly tomorrow for the Temple interview. How’s the weather like? Is it still snowing?

SLU on probation. FYI http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/slu-medical-school-put-on-probation-by-accreditation-agency/article_e61e1775-c17e-560c-9175-ef40bea9768e.html