On-Campus Housing

<p>Does anyone know anything about the different residential colleges, they have Eaton | Hecht | Mahoney | Pearson | Stanford. Does anyone have any insight to positives/negatives of each or any differences in general. Id be curious to know. thanks</p>

<p>I think freshman mostly reside in Stanford/Hecht, and the others are primarily for upperclassmen. I'm from Ft. Lauderdale (just north of Miami) and have visited UM several times now, once on a tour, so I can tell you a little about the dorm situation. Stanford/Hecht are two towers that are located on 1 end of campus along with a dining hall next to them. Also adjacent is a large sports field which is really nice for casual sports, reading outside, etc. The towers are mostly doubles I think, maybe a few singles also but I'm not totally sure. All the residential colleges have a professor and his/her family living there so its probably a nice personal feel in the dorms. The doubles are your average size, small dorm room, and the baths are communal. There are also designated "quiet floors" for those who like that. Not sure whether its single sex by floor or coed by floor. The other dorms have a mix of doubles and singles and are primarily upperclassmen, as they have first pick and most choose singles I guess. Mahoney/Pearson is prob a little more noisy than stanford/hecht since they are located right at the entrance to the university and thus a major road. Some ppl suggest that freshman live in the towers b/c its a much more social place than the other halls and its easier to meet ppl first year.</p>

<p>The dorms in UM are somewhat decrepit when compared with other colleges. Most Hurricanes rent apartments in town and get their own cars. Transport system within the university is very expensive and it'll be more cost effective if four friends rent a flat and get a car.</p>

<p>The dorms in UM are currently undergoing renovation,though.</p>

<p>I have another question related to On-campus housing. It appears that housing is not guaranteed for 4 years. Is housing so hard to get that it should be considered an issue when deciding whether to attend UM?</p>

<p>Undergraduate housing is not guaranteed for four years. I read the experience of a current student on an old thread. In the second year, most students prefer renting apartments, because it is cheaper. Besides, space on campus is quite limited. Many students prefer off-campus housing anyway.</p>

<p>They are building University Village, just started and I believe it will house about 500 students. I wouldn't base my decision on whether to attend Miami because of the housing situation, since many students move off campus after freshman year most of the students my daughter is friendly with that wanted on campus housing were able to get it. Stanford Hecht are the 2 Towers, common bathroom and maids to clean them, Eaton are residential apartments for upperclassman, Mahoney Pearson is mixed. I think it's the best housing on campus at this time. It is suite style living, 2 rooms joined by a bathroom. Only problem in Mahoney Pearson is that the students are responsible for keeping the bathroom clean. There are many singles to be had by upperclassroom, done through a lottery system. and those students that have singles have their own bathroom. The dorms are not bad compared to the dorms I have seen at other colleges. My husband and I both garduated from Miami and my daughter transferred this year to Miami from Ithaca College. I also have a son that is a freshman at Tulane, so trust me I have seen the best dorms and the worst and Miami is right about average.</p>

<p>Lori</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. It sounds as though there is a decent chance of getting a dorm room after freshman year should you desire one. The "demo" dorm room was closed for some reason when we visited so we didn't get a chance to see one in person. My son has been accepted at Tulane as well. We anxiously await his decision.</p>

<p>My son lived in the towers Freshman year, the suites this year, and per phone call yesterday, is signing up for the suites again next year. Housing sign up for 2005/06 starts the first week of March for returning students. But........their signing up for a suite that probably will become available due to the fact that he and his suitemates are trying to find an apartment/house. I think that it would be easy to live on campus the whole time if one wanted, but I think that the percentage of kids who want to do that is pretty slim.........</p>

<p>You're right, most kids want to move off campus after freshman year and alot of housing becomes available around and May. Most students I know that wanted to live on campus were able to.</p>