One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I just read “Annelies,” a novel that explores what would have happened if Anne Frank had survived. I really enjoyed the writing style of the author, David Gillham. I think I will try his other novel, “City of Women,” about Berlin during WWII.

@Midwest67 I’m finishing up Maybe You Should Talk To Someone book by Lori Gottlieb. Quite a lot of twists for a non fiction book. Very entertaining and voyeuristic. You can’t stop reading to see what happens next. And I did not know therapists can fire their patients, outside of non payment that is.

Rereading British boarding school stories is definitely a guilty pleasure!

For @scout59 (and, of course, all interested): https://txla.org/news/2020-lariat-adult-fiction-reading-list-announced/

I’m reading We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter. Fictionalized true account of a Polish Jewish family surviving the Holocaust. The five young adult children all are separated and have very different experiences (one in hiding, one sent to Siberia, one escapes Europe, one in concentration camp [I think; I’m only half way through]). Highly recommend.

Thanks @ignatius !! You know how I love the Lariat list.

@scout59: Have you read any of the books listed? What did you think? Anyone else?

I’ve read Daisy Jones & The Six and I have Lot: Stories by Bryan Washington waiting to be read.

@ignatius - the only one I’ve read so far is “The Nickel Boys,” which I really liked. I have my name on my library’s wait list for “The Whisper Man” and “On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous.”

I’ve never been steered wrong by the Lariat list - I’ve read things there that I wouldn’t normally read, but they’ve all been worth my time.

@ignatius I’ve read The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek, The Bookish Life of Nina Hill, Evvie Drake Starts Over, My Sister the Serial Killer - all good books. The Widows of Malabar Hill is on my TBR. Two of my sisters read The Silent Patient and liked it.

Cool list! I have read The Beekeeper of Aleppo and The Lager Queen of Minnesota. Liked them both. Just getting into On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous.

I’ve read The Silent Patient (recommended here?) and the Secrets We Kept. Both really good reads.

The only book I have read on the Lariat list is “on earth we are briefly gorgeous”, but since it is a 2020 reading list, I guess I am not too late ?TGIF!

Did anyone recommend “Long Haul” here? I forgot where I heard about it. Anyway, I just finished it. Very enjoyable book. Easy to read, too. Highly recommended!!

^^^I read it a few years ago–I saw the author at a book festival and enjoyed his presentat.ion and bought the book. Agree that it was fun and easy to read.

Who is the author of Long Haul? Just tried to look it up but there are a handful of books by that name.

^^^Finn Murphy.

Interesting!

Another fascinating book I really enjoyed was “Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup”. When you type “Bad Blood” in Amazon, you will get bunch of horror books and Taylor Swift music!

The Pulitzer Prize winner and National Book Award winner “The First Tycoon” by TJ Stiles is excellent.

Wow, it is quite amazing how one determined individual of very modest means and virtually no education influenced so many facets of American life. The author really did his homework writing this book. I see why it took him 7 years to complete it. Quite impressive.

No idea why I persisted with the silent patient (audio book). Beach read ultra lite. Not sure how it even got into my list. No way did it live up to the hype (I read about that after listing to the book LOL). The bit I did buy was that the writer had spent time observing a psych ward.
Loved Pachinko though, I might re listen as I am pretty sure I lost some threads along the way.

Recommending “lost children archive” by Valeria Luiselli. It is a rather unique book, about “a road trip” by a family of four, with another “novel” inside this one, realism mingles with surrealism, sad and moving. I am going to find more of her books to read. (I think this is her first book written in English, her native language is Spanish I believe).

Also finished listening “lady in the lake”, it is a perfect book to listen to, while doing house chores/driving.