One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Ha! I can’t even fathom the power of the eyeglasses that would enable me to actually read a book on my iPhone. Thanks for the tip, though. Might try it on my iPad. :slight_smile:

Can anyone confirm that this works? I get that the idea is to keep the device offline, but I guess it depends on where the expiration token actually resides.

I have a really old kindle and I just turn it onto wifi to sync downloads and turn it straight off and the downloads stay. Consider dragging out any old devices you have. As it is a techno graveyard in my house this isn’t difficult. Older fires, older android pads, old phones, these are just fine for keeping off wifi.

Hmmm… Now you’ve got me wondering. If the expiration token is embedded with the book, keeping the device offline won’t work. But, if the token is embedded and expiration is based on date, and the device is kept offline (so the token is not able to check in with any clock but the device clock), I wonder if resetting the device clock back a few days would fool the token? Need to research how the expiration algorithm works… If anyone has done this, please chime in. Really not trying to be a criminal, just want an extra day or two to finish my books.

Reddit will probably have a thread.

I just set my Kindle on airplane mode and it works. Easy.

Yes, I am constantly gaming the Overdrive library system–keeping my old Kindle in airplane mode (no Wi-Fi) so a book doesn’t disappear until I’ve finished it. Then, I inevitably miss a few books that I don’t have a chance to download without losing the earlier books. It’s a challenge!

@ChoatieMom
Just wondering if you have changed your length of checkout to 3 weeks in settings. The default is for 2 weeks, but there is the option to change it to 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, the only two options for default lending settings for my Overdrive account are 7 and 14 days.

I knew there were benefits to being an old school reader of actual books. As long as I’m willing to pay a 10 cent per day fine, I can keep my library books several weeks past the due date. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our library is now fine free. Many here in Ohio are. While they still promote being responsible the rationale can’t be denied in terms of access to books for all:

"While overdue fines are assumed to help get books returned and back in circulation, the fact is that for many families in our community, overdue fines are a real barrier to access. For those who can afford the fines, paying a small late fee is no problem, so the overdue fines are not a particularly strong incentive. For those who can’t afford the overdue fines, they have a disproportionately negative impact. "

More details here:

https://www.toledolibrary.org/policies/nofines

And on another positive note, our library system is having a Winter Read program. Just picked up my two prizes so far yesterday- a “Winter Read” sticker and a pair of bright blue gloves with our library logo on them! For each book you read in January you earn a ticket that you can put in a lottery for other prizes.

Another old-style book reader here–and very pleased that our library recently went fine-free! They told me they immediately got back books that had been out for three months by people who avoided coming back because of them.

Ours is fine-free, too, and I still love physical books, but I also read on my iPad. Perhaps I should only check out “slim” books for the iPad, ones I’m sure I can finish before having them snatched out of my virtual hands. Feels like a slap sometimes. “Maybe if you were a faster reader, ChoatieMom…”

All the things I never told you by Celeste Ng

A great read given the current social climate. Gives an insight into the minds of people and their innate desire to be accepted. Not a glamorized version but close to reality.

All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr

A Pulitzer prize winner. Though based during the Hitler times, its a wonderful read. Fast paced and you just can’t put it down till you finish. Simply amazing!!

^^^^^Love Celeste Ng! Wish she had a new book.

Little Fires Everywhere is being made into a tv mini series starring Kerry Washington and Reese Witherspoon!

I just finished The Dearly Beloved by Cara Wall. It was lovely! Beautiful writing and insightful, really perceptive account of how people live and learn about themselves and others. It grew on me slowly but became very powerful.

Solitary, by Albert Woodfox is captivating and extremely eye-opening. Woodfox was one of the Angola 3, kept in solitary confinement for 40 (yes, 40!) years for a crime he didn’t commit, and for which he was framed by those in power in the state of Louisiana.

We would like to think that our legal system is fair. It’s not, particularly if you are a black male, and even more so if you are a black male who believes in advocating for changes in our inequitable system. Woodfox was targeted for his membership in the Black Panthers.

Woodfox’s voice is articulate, compelling, compassionate, and remarkably free of resentment. His goal is to educate the public about our highly unjust system of justice. This is, IMO, a very important read.

My mother was our small town’s librarian (she died in 1987). I think the set overdue fine was four cents/day, but she just put out a “conscience box” - people would often throw in a handful of change or even a dollar bill, and she collected much more money that way (which went to buy more books!).

Have you ever read a book that you were kind of embarrassed to admit you liked? That’s the way I feel about “A Cosmology of Monsters.” It’s partly a generational drama, partly an homage to H.P. Lovecraft, and mostly about families and the power of love. It made a few “Best of 2019” lists, which is why I read it in the first place.

I also liked Jane Harper’s second mystery, “Force of Nature.” I thought it was better than her first (“The Dry”), although I liked that one, too.