One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men Paperback
by Caroline Criado Perez

Terrific audio book, when in comes out in paperback, get a copy for your daughters, your sons, your boss.

@Sybylla who would have thought even the way snow being plowed has science and sexism behind it!

Who has read ā€œthe yellow houseā€ by Sarah Broom https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43347603?
I am trying, very hard, to finish it. Was hoping for some good parts finally coming up but I am more than halfway through and am at a loss of all the accolades it garnered! What did I miss?

While struggling with reading Yellow house, the audiobook ā€œI contain multitudesā€ is a ge(r)m packed treasure! While the world seems to be frantically disinfecting the public places/ourselves over the Covid-19 panic, I might be the minority who believes the aftermaths of all these antiseptic/antibacterial uses could have more long-lasting damage to our health than the new corona virus.

Just started Middlemarch and am really hoping I can get through it! I am huge Patchett fan, but found The Dutch House to be just ā€œokā€. Recently finished reading The Country Girls by Edna Oā€™Brien and loved everything about it.

ā€œWe Were Brothersā€ is a small book & a pretty quick read, but it is an interesting look at the dynamics of a brother relationship. Itā€™s like a great tapa: small, but packs in a lot of things to think about.

Just finished The Dutch Houseā€“a really quick read (not meaning slight, but that it was engrossing enough that I read more sustainedly than I often do). I liked it a lot; I felt it was astringently warm, if that makes sense.

ā€œOlive, Againā€ by Elizabeth Strout. Mesmerizing writing, for me at least. I loved ā€œMy Name is Lucy Bartonā€ as well as ā€œOlive Kittredge.ā€ I think Iā€™ve read some of her others as well, but have lost track.

The Library Book by Susan Orlean on audio is just fabulous. Not at ALL what I was expecting. I suspect it works better on audio than in print. I think this was a book I got based on this thread LOL. Anyway, just put it on hold.

@Sybylla I listen to a lot of audiobooks but actually read The Library Book on my kindle last year. I loved it. It actually wasnā€™t what I was expecting - I assumed it would mostly be about the fire but actually really enjoyed learning the history of the library itself. As an avid library patron since I was a kid, I really appreciated this book.

Anybody read Oona out of Order? Itā€™s about a 19year old who wakes up one day and sheā€™s 51. And then every year she lives her life out of order. Itā€™s been described as a combo of What Alice Forgot and Groundhog Day. Trying to decide if itā€™s worth a read.

^^^ Just put it on my Goodreads ā€œwant to readā€ list. Itā€™s reviewed at 4+ starts on Goodreads (out of a max 5 - I donā€™t really ever see a 5). I think Iā€™d like it!

Two non fiction books to recommend - highly

*The Club (Leo Dobrisch) subtitle Johnson, Boswell and the Friends who Shaped an Age ā€“ about a club formed by the writer Samuel Johnson, his famous biographer, James Boswell, and their highly influential intellectual friends who met every week in a London pub. Very readable, filled with lively details, really gives you a vivid picture of the 18th century. One of New York Timesā€™ top 10 books of 2019.

• Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland (Patrick Radden Keefe) a page turner that reads like a thriller! About "the troubles" in Northern Ireland. Really skillfully done, you meet/live some of the biggest names/events in the struggle for Northern Ireland's independence. It really gave me a lot of food for thought. Also one of New York Times' top 10 of 2019.

My husband just went to an event with the author of Say Nothing and said itā€™s a fabulous book.

@surfcity - It would be exciting to meet that author. I thought it was an exceptionally well written account - a readable, exciting history.

The Dutch House on audio was fabulous. I do thank Libby for speed options though. Tom needs a little speed?? Anyway, I got it from the library as sometimes happens, it offered the book as a skip the line for a 1 week loan. I gave it back 4 days early. Put it on your list. It is a lovely story.

@Sybylla I always listen to my audiobooks at either 1.25 or 1.5x, depending on the narrator.

Has anyone read The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye? It was recommended by several people on another message board. Iā€™d never heard of the book or author. It sounded interesting so I started it, but the dialogue is killing me. The vernacular, which is most likely accurate to the setting, still seems a bit overdone. Even if accurate though, itā€™s very slow going for me as I try to decipher what they are talking about. Just wondering if itā€™s just me, or if anyone else here read the book and knows what Iā€™m talking about? I want to keep going because I like the plot so far, but boy, I can only read a little bit at a time.

Just finished Warmth of Other Suns. What an important, humbling work.

I read The Dutch House this weekend based on recommendations on this thread. Great book. I look forward to pick up some of her earlier works in the future.

17 Week hold for the The Dutch House at our library, but with all these great reviews I might have to go get a copyā€¦

Picked up a copy of Seabiscuit at my local library ā€œFriendsā€ sale and cannot put it down!

I read Writers and Lovers and absolutely loved it.