One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I recently finished Gold by Chris Cleave. It wrapped up a little quickly, but it was engaging throughout. I’d recommend it.

Being away from CC for a few weeks so got more readings done ?
Putting hold on “the club” and “Oona out of order”. Thank you for the recommendations!

Recommending “a tale for the time being” by Ruth Ozeki https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15811545
Two narrators , Nao from Tokyo Japan and Ruth from Whaletown Canada, have their lives “linked” via a diary-in-a-box found by the seashore, in a surreal yet realistic way. It might not be a book for everyone, but I truly enjoyed reading it.

Also listened to Robert Caro’s “working: researching, interviewing, writing”. I have read three of the four published LBJ biographies, Mr. Caro, 83, is still working on the fifth volume! If you have read any one of his books, you will understand why I enjoyed this “short” book so much. It is narrated by Mr. Caro himself, what a wonderful writer and great person Mr. Caro (and his wonderful wife Ina) is (are). Every one of Mr. Caro’s book is LONG, but so worth the time to read them. I learned so much, not just about LBJ, but American history, politics, election, and the many people/politicians related to LBJ.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43205240

Off topic, I read so many news about covid-19 and was hoping to escape it on CC. Lol. Didn’t find the sand to hide my head here for sure ?

@makemesmart Have you read Caro’s “The Power Broker?” Amazing!

@HouseChatte i bought the “tome” (ha!) but have not read it. I am not surprised. “Working” talked about “powerbroker” quite a bit and I am very much looking forward to reading it.

I am post Sedaris jag and on a Bill Bryson run on audio, I really enjoyed "a walk in the woods: but One Summer is just fabulous. It is reassuring to hear about nutso previous US administrations and how the current president is just not especially a precedent. Twiiter et al just makes it more apparent.

Hilary Mantel is back - The Mirror and the Light, third volume after Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies.
I am loving almost every single chiselled sentence.

The Warmth of Other Suns

Haven’t finished yet, but cannot put that darn thick book down!

@Sybylla
year 2020 is shaping up to be as “action-packed” as 1927 now
@Tigerle
The hold for “the mirror and the light” is 6 months. I am buying it.

funny story. I picked up a book by the looks of its cover and briefly looked at the back synopsis. Seemed like a “gone girl” story; the cover showed a man in woods with knife in hand in his hand. While I was reading it on the plane next to my kid I had to start laughing. It turned into erotica. it was just awkward!

Topics of Conversation: A novel . This audio book is really compelling to me, but it just gets eviscerated in reviews, to me it is a bit like Choi’s Trust exercise. You will possibly hate it, I think it is worth the ride.

Ok, now don’t laugh at me but I adored HighFire. Eoin Colfer’s newest adult fantasy. It was a hoot!! Set in the swamps of Honey Island (just across the Twin Spans from NOLA) about the last remaining dragon.
A bit swear-y for my normal taste, but it was fun! The bad guy is super terrible and makes you properly hate him.
I really didn’t think I was going to like it once I realized it was set in a place I’d rather forget ever living in. But I’m glad I kept reading b/c I really enjoyed it. Great escapism for all that’s going on right now.

I also loved HighFire, a very quick and fun read. My daughter saw him at a book store event and he was hysterical. His other books have been for children, so the bad language is a new thing for him. He was going to read a passage at the book store appearance, but realized there weren’t any he could read in a store with kids around!

I have an idea - how about we list some lighthearted favorites for people to read to escape? (and hopefully your library is still open or you can get an ebook copy)

Here’s one to get started - Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher

If you like cats and remember the early days of the internet and the day trading craze Beth Hilgartner’s Cats in Cyberspace is a hoot.

My favorite thing to reread are the Miles Vorkosigan books by Lois McMasters Bujold - you can start with the pair about Mile’s parents Shards of Honor and Barrayar. If you were a Georgette Heyer fan you will recognize one scene in SoH is straight out of Venetia.

My attention span is very short these days so I was happy to get Mike Rowe’s new book, The Way I Heard It. It’s been helpful to read a chapter before bed each night to clear my mind of troubling current events. If you enjoyed the old Paul Harvey radio stories, then you’ll like this.

I’m not sure what to read next. I’m looking at my bookshelves and here are some that stand out to me: (I’m a little hesitant to show the less than eyebrow things I read, so please no judgement)

Anthology of Irish Fairy Tales
" of Norse Mythology
Neil Gaimen’s American Gods (LOVED Stardust as a kid!!)
Paula Brackston’s (who I love) Little Shop of Found Things
Imogen Gowar’s The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock
Madeline Miller’s Song of Achilles, and Circe

Neil Gaimen is my vote - can’t go wrong with him

The autobiographical The Yellow House by Sarah Broom. The author explores the meaning of being a New Orleanian and the racial disparities in Hurricane Katrina relief on her family and other families of color. A powerful and interesting book.

I am reading the Charles Lenox mystery series by Charles Finch. I started with books 11-13 which are the prequels and really enjoyed them. I’m starting book 1 tonight hoping I will like Lenox as an older man as well.

From Publishers Weekly
Set in England in 1865, Finch’s impressive debut introduces an appealing gentleman sleuth, Charles Lenox. When Lady Jane Grey’s former servant, Prue Smith, dies in an apparent suicide-by-poisoning, Lady Jane asks Lenox, her closest friend, to investigate. The attractive young maid had been working in the London house of George Barnard, the current director of the Royal Mint. Lenox quickly determines that Smith’s death was a homicide, but both Barnard and Scotland Yard resist that conclusion, forcing him to work discreetly. Aided by his Bunter-like butler and friend, Graham, the detective soon identifies a main suspect, only to have that theory shattered by that man’s murder. Finch laces his writing with some Wodehousian touches and devises a solution intricate enough to fool most readers. Lovers of quality historical whodunits will hope this is the first in a series.

@ChaosParent23 second “American Gods”, I actually read the paper back and then listened the audiobook the second time around. Enjoyed both times.