One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Oh how wonderful. I, too, was/am a huge Pilcher fan. The Shell Seekers is among my all time favorites.

1 Like

Dicken’s Christmas Carol was worth reading and very well written. (Read it for CC book club—free via Gutenberg.)

3 Likes

Every time I read something by Dickens I am reminded why he was a bestseller in his day.

10 Likes

He was so very good at painting word pictures and vividly described scenes so clearly. Short stories are easier to partake—he can be a bit wordy.

1 Like

Ditto about being a Rosamunde Pilcher fan in the 90s, although I re-read Coming Home and Shell Seekers every few years. Thanks for mentioning this newly compiled book.

1 Like

I know it isn’t the end of the year yet, but my favorite book of the year is Fifty Words For Rain by Asha Lemmie. I just finished it. I am always looking for new and interesting reads. I would love to hear about your favorite read this year (It doesn’t have to be new.)

3 Likes

I read lots of books that were fine, but none that made me run around saying “You HAVE to read this.”

Fantasy
I really enjoyed The Lord of Stariel and the three sequels by New Zealand writer A. J. Lancaster. Imagine something like Downton Abbey except the land itself is sentient, but a bit like a big over-loving dumb puppy, and the Lord of Stariel is picked by a magical ceremony and the least likely person to get picked comes back for the ceremony. Well you can guess what ensues from there
 Each book got better than the one before. \

Knot of Shadows by Lois McMaster Bujold. This is number 11 in a series of novellas about Penric and his demon Desdemona. Some are funny, this one got unexpectedly thoughtful. Bujold does that to you. She’s one of my favorite authors. I will read anything she writes.

From the CC Book Club
This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger. While I was initially put off by some of the obviousness of some of references to other literary works I ended up being beguiled by the story, the characters and the author’s love of the landscape. I even ended up feeling the touches of magical realism worked and I am often not a fan.
Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell. Beautiful lyrical writing. A little hard to read about a plague when we are still in the midst of one.

On my to read list for many years finally got to it
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I liked Ifemelu’s observations about race in America, but I also liked seeing her grow into her voice and how she embraced honesty and comes to a basic understanding of who she is and what she wants. I have spent a lot of my life in foreign countries, it was interesting to see how we looked to outsiders.

4 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion. I just got it out of our library. I, too, read a number of Pilcher books back in the day.

I have read all of Elizabeth Strout’s books recently, including the recent O William!

Just finished Huma Abedin’s memoir Both/And, an insider look at “Hilaryland” as well as trauma within a marriage that was in the public eye.

5 Likes

If any of you were fond of Anne Rice books, she passed away yesterday. She was 80.

2 Likes

Reading O William! now and loving it! I read My Name is Lucy Barton years ago and I don’t remember it making much of an impression on me but maybe I appreciate these characters more now that I’m older. :wink:

3 Likes

Also Olive Kittredge and Olive Again. Loved O William
reread Lucy beforehand but not necessary.

7 Likes

Glad to hear this, @compmom . Have that one on my nightstand and was worried that I should have paid more attention to what I was buying as I had missed the beginning

I am thinking that an Elizabeth Strout book might be good for our book club. (I once read Olive Kittridge and liked it). Is O William a book that can be read independently ? Or part of a series?

All of the books can be read independently. My personal favorite is Olive, Again and a friend I was just talking to agrees. Olive Kittredge won a Pulitzer.

3 Likes

I read a LOT this year, and I loved almost everything so it is hard to single out any of them.

But I can happily recommend these for specific kinds of readers:

For nonfiction: The Sound of the Sea
For fiction: The House of Broken Angels
For want to have the pants scared off of you: The Only Good Indians

3 Likes

I finished reading Elizabeth Stout’s new book (Oh William). I highly recommend it.

6 Likes

I’ll recommend Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen. Particularly enjoyable if you grew up in the 70s, and a terrific tale of family dynamics. Updike-ian.

Oh, and so fun to see Barack Obama and I have such similar tasye in books!!

6 Likes

I’m sure “The Lincoln Highway” has been discussed here but I finally got around to reading it. The story synopsis didn’t especially appeal to me but I loved both of of Amor Towles prior books. Well - 200 pages in, I can not put it down!

9 Likes

Glad to hear it, @FallGirl ! On my nightstand!

1 Like