One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I am hoping that Santa brings it because I have been reasonably good.

8 Likes

Points for honesty. :blush:

9 Likes

Well, I must have been good because I received it from DD1 for Christmas!!!

6 Likes

I just finished Long Bright River by Liz Moore and it’s excellent. I had never read anything by this author and now I want to read everything she has written. It’s about a Philadelphia cop and single mother, Mickey, who is searching for her missing drug addict sister Kacey on the streets of her district. The book is a detective mystery but it’s really about family love and the terrible toll of the opioid epidemic (the title is an allusion to Tennyson’s The Lotus Eaters). It portrays a Philadelphia area (Kensington) and subculture with clinical accuracy and makes you sympathize with and understand people you are maybe not prepared to like too much. It does a good job of answering the question: why do people ruin their lives this way? It also weaves Christmas into the story (I did not realize it when I checked it out but there was a serendipity to it as I read it over Christmas Day and Boxing Day).

2 Likes

Just read Iran Awakenings and Until We Are Free by Shirin Ebadi, 2003 Nobel Peace Prize winner. I enjoyed both tremendously.

So it’s December 31st and I am on book # 212 for the year. Not sure if I should be proud of that or if I have a problem.

I do have other hobbies/activities, I swear.

13 Likes

Good Job! I did keep a list this year for first time (I am retired now)
 total of 27 books, mostly fiction. That includes books from CC book club and a zoom book club.

5 Likes

I have 5 hours left to read in The Paris Library to make it to 45 books read this year. My completed reading list for 2021 seems to be light fiction and historical - vs tackling more heavy books - sums up 2021! Looking back a few highlights: Miss Benson’s Beetle, The Book of Lost Names, The Chicken Sisters, The Kitchen Front, This Tender Land, The Four Winds, Malibu Rising and The Reading List.

I love this thread and all the great recommendations - Happy reading in 2022!

7 Likes

@coffeeat3 _ I loved the Paris Library, The Kitchen Front and The Four Winds!

1 Like

Very late to this game, but I finally read STATION ELEVEN. (DH wants to watch the mini-series but I wanted to read the book first). Probably not the best time to read a book that touches on this subject matter, but wow, what an imaginative and compelling read.

I didn’t read it because the brief description of it did not sound like things I enjoy, but IMHO it is not easily categorized.

7 Likes

As the year comes to an end, I wanted to give everyone here a big shout out for your recommendations. I have no idea how many books I’ve read this year but am sure I haven’t kept pace with some of you! But much of what I have read was with this group’s stamp of approval. Thanks so much!

11 Likes

I read 52 books this year. Mostly fiction. Some rereads, more than a few novellas. A lot of sci fi and fantasy. A few things by Asian authors which were fun. I also read two books about Chinese painting that I have owned forever, but only looked at the pictures. They were really interesting.

4 Likes

I gave in to myself this past year and read all the rest of Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache books. Finished “The Madness of Crowds” night before last. Lo! Got a Prime deal notification for “State of Terror” for $4.99 yesterday and I said yes, thank you!

9 Likes

I really enjoy this thread and all the book recommendations. I read mostly literary fiction, but started reading memoirs last year and continued this year. I also enjoy the mystery/thriller genre and go through those quickly. In that category, I just finished The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz. Loved it!

7 Likes

The Plot was really fun!

2 Likes

@Surfcity, I am glad that you liked Station Eleven. It is one of my favorite books ever!! It is why I love the CC book club. I have definitely broadened my reading. Now, there are tons of authors that are new to me that I have discovered because of it.

4 Likes

I loved The Plot. Even though I figured it out early on, the writing was very clever and engaging. Hard to put down.

Just finished Daisy Jones and The Six. Thanks to whoever recommended it!

4 Likes

I read 97 books this year.

Some highlights:

Kent State: Four Dead in Ohio - Derf Backderf (Graphic Novel)

The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois - Honoree Fanonne Jeffers

The Goblin Emperor and The Witness for the Dead - Katherine Addison. (Fantasies/set in the same “world”)

We Begin at the End - Chris Whitaker (Mystery)

and I also liked These Toxic Things - Rachel Howzell Hall (Mystery - unpredictable, at least for me)

Anyway, I really liked quite a few more, so overall I had a year of good books.

Oh, Lianne Moriarty’s Apples Never Fall - I started not to read it because I hadn’t really liked her previous two books. Glad I picked it up because this one gets a solid thumbs-up from me.

4 Likes

I am closing out 2021 with 105 books (meeting my annual goal of 100). Some of my favs this year:
The Rose Code by Kate Quinn,
both Richard Osman Thursday Murder Club books,
Poison for Breakfast by Lemony Snickert (the series of unfortunate events atuhor’s first offering for adults),
A Line to a Kill by Anthony Horowitz,
Klara and the Sun by Ishiguro,
Bellweather Rhapsody by Kate Racculia

7 Likes

Loved the Tuesday Murder Club books and looking forward to more. Also enjoyed The Rose Code.

3 Likes