One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

They look great, thank you!

Iā€™m also looking for books similar to your list. As I was hunting for things I havenā€™t read and possible new authors, I ran across Freida McFadden. I may try Do You Remember.

1 Like

That looks like a perfect one for me. Thanks for the steer.

1 Like

Kelley Armstrongā€™s ā€œRocktonā€ series might fit the bill. The books take place in a town where people apply and then pay for the opportunity to escape their past lives. Maybe on the run, maybe a criminal, maybe just escaping. You need to read them in the order of publication.

4 Likes

I just picked up #5 of the Rockton series. Consider it escapist literature (which is a pun for those of you familiar with the series).

2 Likes

Just finished Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr for the CC book club. I think it would fit your style. I have similar taste and enjoyed it.

4 Likes

I loved The Passage novels too (espeically the first one) and The Girl With All the Gifts If youā€™re still looking for dystopian, Iā€™d suggest:

• When the English Fell (yes, an end-of-the-world story told from the Amish perspective.)

• The End of the World Running Club.

• The Last Policeman trilogy (a mash-up of detective fiction and a-meteor-is-coming-to-destroy-the-earth science fiction)

• The Book of M

• Afterland

2 Likes

New bookā€“starting to get to best-seller levelā€“called ā€œHow High We Go in the Darkā€ by Sequoia Nagamatsuā€“speculative, sort of dystopian with redemptive angles. Deals with climate change and a plague (though written pre-Covid), in a non-oppressive way. Beautiful writing, really intriguing.

1 Like

Hi @scout59 - because I know you always enjoyed this list:

4 Likes

Oooohhh - thanks @ignatius! I didnā€™t realize the list was out for 2022.

And youā€™re right, I love this list. I especially love how itā€™s annotated this year (unlike the 2021 list).

1 Like

The Paper Palace

2 Likes

Thanks. There are some interesting looking books on the Lariat list.

1 Like

Saw this and thought I had to share on this thread. For those who love reading AND puzzles!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/1000-great-american-novels-re-marks-inc/1124806861?ean=0681410190521&fbclid=IwAR3qsQTwj5fG1LBXXDsiup_9zNdTjbVY5Y56tVXW9UeaOVZQugU5q4eJK9w

3 Likes

On the Lariat List is The Five Wounds. It is a profound and spiritual book about redemption and how the birth of a child can bring salvation, yet it is not preachy. It gives insight into a New Mexican subculture and, much like the Philadelphia-set Long Bright River, helps you to understand why poor and desperate people make the self-destructive decisions they do. Both books also describe the myriad ways in which we fail our young people, who hunger for spiritual food and get nothing from the mainstream culture.

A non-fiction book that is related to the themes of these two excellent novels is Chris Arnadeā€™s Dignity: Seeking Respect in Back Row America. Itā€™s an extended photoessay and is very powerful.

3 Likes

The Last One by Alexandra Oliva. Page-turner of a pandemic dystopia.

2 Likes

Of course I immediately thought of this thread:

And looked up who wrote the quote:

7 Likes

I would love to reread the Robertson Daviesā€™ Deptford Trilogy. Which I barely remember. Read it the first time in high school and I think also twenty years ago or so. Definitely canā€™t remember it!

2 Likes

If you enjoy non-fiction, try Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe. Recommended by my D, SIL & Barrack Obamaā€™s 2021 reading recommendations, I dove in 4 weeks ago and just finished this afternoon. A detailed account of the Sacklers and Purdue Pharma, it was interesting from the historical perspective, but also from a business perspective. I teach my introductory accounting students that most companies take only a small percentage of their earnings out as dividends, but that was not the case for these family shareholders in their privately held corporation. I walked away concluding that victims in the opiod crisis would never be compensated for their suffering, but can best hope for the truth to continue to emerge from this complex saga.

3 Likes

I LOVE The Last Policeman books!!! I am always recommending them to people and am having an uphill battle outside my family, who are from Concord so that works for them.

1 Like

Well, I finished The Lincoln Highway. It wasnā€™t nearly as good as A Gentleman in Moscow. However, I did like it. I felt it got better as I got further into the story. I am glad that I read it.

I am really jealous of all of the wonderful books that you all read. Any book that looks good, I check our library consortium but more often than not they are not in the system. I did learn that I can get books from any library in the state through the library, although it may take months to get. This is one of the worst parts of living in a small town. I like real books!!!

9 Likes