One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

@silverlady I too was an old school book lover, until the pandemic. Our library shut down and there was no way to check out a real book. By necessity I started reading books on my phone and have now graduated to an ipad for reading. I use the Libby app to order books from the library and it also gives me the option to check out the book later if I just started a different book. Give it a try you may find you read more :blush::books:

5 Likes

Currently reading The Lincoln Highway for a book club, and I feel the same way.

Last year I kept a list of my reading, 28 books. A Gentleman in Moscow (recommended here), and it was one of my Top 3. The others were Hamnet (from CC April book club) and The Promised Land (Obama autobiography).

4 Likes

I have The Promised Land and keep meaning to read it. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

Just finished Leviathan Falls, the ninth and last of The Expanse series. A truly world building sci fi futuristic experience. Between the books and the six seasons of the show, I have felt really immersed in the characters and their arcs. I was sorry to have it end. I understand there are some novellas so may go track them down.

3 Likes

Someone upthread (sorry I can’t remember who) recommended The Fortnight in September, and thank you! It was utterly charming, with really wonderful writing and characters. It grew and grew on me as I read. My copy had an excerpt from Sherriff’s autobiography about the process of writing it, which I also found fascinating.

3 Likes

@garland , glad you enjoyed it! I found myself thinking about so much of it afterwards – which surprised me! I wish I’d had your extra bit as I was somewhat curious about much of what prompted this. As someone who grew up taking the “same” vacation every year, albeit in z different country and decades later, this struck a very familiar chord.

I really love this thread, btw

1 Like

This is the part about coming up with it. The rest was about finding a method to write, so more like nuts and bolts.

1 Like

Looks interesting, just put it on hold at the library.

1 Like

Thanks. I put on hold at library. (Now I need to read quickly “On The Road” - I picked up that Jack Karouac book from library hold yesterday, since I read in the paper that one of his stops was in our town.)

2 Likes

I forgot to come back and report on Apple Never Fall. I forget who asked me to report back!

Have to say I LOVED it. I often feel like you can predict endings. This one had some twists and turns. Pretty good character development. I just was REALLY interested in what would happen next. The family dynamics. The parents dynamics.

I don’t need real deep books. It always takes me a while to get through a book just because my reading time is limited but I was always anxious to turn another page of this one.

6 Likes

I’ve just started Apples, and I was feeling that it was little slow, so I’m glad to hear that you liked it. I’ll stick with it.

Now I’m reading Maid after enjoying the series based on this true story.

2 Likes

@abasket I enjoyed Apples Never Fall". I also liked thought "Maid was a good read - obviously a very different type of book.

I read some book which could be called “deep” but I also read for enjoyment. Nothing wrong with that.

I just finished a memoir that I would highly recommend. “The Boys” by Ron Howard and Clint Howard. They alternate (though mostly Ron) talking about their experiences as child actors and more. Some memoir authors come off as a bit full of themselves but I didn’t get that here. This one sent me on many trips to IMDB, Wikipedia, Youtube, and the local library for a DVD that included Ron’s (excuse me, “R.W. Howard’s”) very early attempts at film directing.

3 Likes

If you’re interested in incredibly well-written linked personal essays about the American medical system, I’d recommend Cost of Living by Emily Maloney. Very incisive and reads much more quickly than you’d think, melding her own experiences and thorough research.

2 Likes

Finished the last book of the Green Bones Saga by Fonda Lee. It’s a trilogy starting with Jade War covering several generations of a family on the Hong Kong like island of Kekon with the ability to use jade to give them extra powers. The world building is great (think The Godfather with magic), but for me it’s the characters that really make the book. We see several generations and watch them grow and try to make a world that will work better. It’s the best sci fi/fantasy series I’ve read since J. K. Jemison’s Broken Earth Trilogy.

I will have to look for that book. Rob Lowe had them on his podcast last Fall, although I only listened to it recently.

1 Like

Just picked it up at the library. I’ll let you know.

Finished "Three Girls from Bronzeville"by Dawn Turner last night. Great story (true) about opportunities/choices/second chances, etc.

Update: Finished “The Boys” and thoroughly enjoyed it!

2 Likes

I really liked Sharks in the Time of Saviors by Kawai Strong Washburn. It is set in Hawaii, where we just visited, so extra fun.

1 Like