One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I love Elizabeth Peters and Jennifer Cruisie as well - Deanna Raybourn is also very good, particularly her Lady Julia Grey series and Veronica Speedwell series. For light hearted mystery that’s comedy, I like Kathleen Bacus’ “Calamity Jane” series. It always makes me laugh due to the antics of the cast of characters and is a nice way to “get away” for a while. And Ann Charles’ “Deadwood” series is in a similar vein.

1 Like

@greenbutton The Fortnight in September is just the book you need! No tragedy there – just the story of a family’s 2 week beach holiday. Original public in 1931 yet timeless in many ways…

4 Likes

I’m reading this right now!

1 Like

I read it a couple months ago because of a recommendation here. Loved it!

1 Like

I just finished Golden Girls, Elin Hilderbrand. I really liked it. Not giving anything away but a bestselling author is killed unexpectedly leaving three young adult children. The story is about how after death she is allowed to “see” the lives of her children/family for a certain amount of time - and relive some of her past. She gets 3 nudges - only 3 - that she can use to help her family.

I think this was especially personally because my mom died unexpectedly a few months ago and all those feelings you have about are they watching over us?

This is a light but enjoyable read, with a dose of sadness, sympathy, etc. - just the kind I like!

11 Likes

The First American by H. W. Brands - really well-written (should have won the Pulitzer that year).

2 Likes

Interesting. Just watched the Ken Burns documentary on Franklin last night. Truly an extraordinary man.

4 Likes

me too!

Just heard about this. Hope it’s good.

For all you Elin Hilderbrand fans–

1 Like

I’m reading The Midnight Library by Matt Haig right now and enjoying it.

5 Likes

Our zoom book club read that last year. I really liked it. Some folks thought it was a bit repetitive, but it was just the escape I needed.

1 Like

That looks so fun! - except Nantucket in January!!! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Loved Hidden Valley Road- as disturbing as it was

3 Likes

Amazing how one family can suffer so much genetic tragedy :frowning:.

3 Likes

Someone here recommended Three Girls from Bronzeville. I just finished it and thought it was excellent. It’s a memoir written by a former columnist for the Chicago Tribune—she focuses on three black kids who grew up in the projects on the South Side of Chicago and took very different life paths. She was successful—the other two (her sister and her best friend) took the road to disaster.

3 Likes

@Bromfield2 - I read that book and I believe I recommended it here. Very interesting story of how similar paths lead to different outcomes in life. I am glad you enjoyed it.

2 Likes

For Kindle people, it’s World Book Day on Amazon. There are 10 kindle books that can be downloaded for free.

Edited to add the names of the books:

The Puma Years
The Ardent Swarm
North To Paradise
Where the Desert Meets the Sea
An Eye for an Eye
The Other Man
The Easy Life in Kamusari
Mother Dear: A Thriller
To The Sky Kingdom
The Caiman (a children’s book)

3 Likes

Here’s the link:

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=nodl_?ie=UTF8&node=17728818011

3 Likes

Just finished The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel and it was just excellent. I loved it.

3 Likes