One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Oh yes, that is a very good read. I do tend to get it mixed up with The Book Of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate, which is also a wonderful book.

1 Like

Through the looking glasses - Travis Elborough
Non-fiction that has you gripped. Very, very easy to read. Funny and you learn something. Will definitely read again - not giving it away. Hubby also really enjoyed it.

Best book I’ve read in ages and would highly, highly recommend it. (which I am doing now)

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. Is it a new book? I don’t find that title/author at my library or Thriftbooks website.

Yes, fairly newish. I wouldn’t expect it in a secondhand shop yet. Libraries should be sooner - depending on the size. Keep an eye open for it :nerd_face:

1 Like

Not available at my library. Not even on the ordered list.

Just finished Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. Highly recommended. Has been turned into a series on Apple TV+.

9 Likes

@dentmom4 Mystery solved – this book is only published in the UK and isn’t available for sale in the US. I don’t think the North American rights have been acquired. If you can find it in the US, it’s probably a UK edition.

2 Likes

I can buy it on Amazon

1 Like

@LostInTheShuffle Pachinko: that’s a great book.

5 Likes

I’m almost certain that it’s a UK edition–no US publisher, not listed in the Library of Congress catalog, so unlikely that a US library would buy it. A UK publisher probably won’t market to US libraries, even if there isn’t a rights issue. I did a thorough search, it’s published by Little Brown UK.

I thought Pachinko was a really interesting book. We had a good discussion of it for the CC Bookclub. https://talk. .com/t/pachinko-june-cc-book-club-selection/1990172I’ll have to remember to look into it once we’ve finished one of the series we are currently watching.

3 Likes

Ah, UK book - thanks for solving the mystery.

NOTE - I had looked at Thriftbooks because I happen to use that Wishlist for my next-book ideas (it has good deal on shipping, especially if I combine books to get over $15). Despite its misleading name, Thriftbooks includes current titles. For example, it has “True Biz” (new this month) which I’ll order for another book club if I don’t get off my library Hold list soon enough.

1 Like

Sorry, have I thrown a spanner in the works putting up an ‘UK’ published book? Just assumed that it was ‘worldwide’.

My tip to publishers in the US - snap it up!

There is no UK bias as it takes in the history of ‘cheaters’ - an American slang word that I learned from the book - and there are many, many references from around the world - the US being one, as there are many ‘cheater’ wearers in the US.

Keep an eye open - you will not be disappointed.

2 Likes

“Wrench” for the benefit of the Yanks. :grin:

4 Likes

Amazon has five copies of Through the Looking Glass by Elborough. $24.29.

1 Like

There are a couple of kindle books on sale today that I haven’t read but are only $2.

The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels by Jon Meacham

I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn’t): Making the Journey from”What Will People Think?” to “I Am Enough” by Brene Brown

I’ve heard her on podcasts but haven’t read any of her books.

2 Likes

Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel was fantastic!

3 Likes

Just read Sea of Tranquility also and really enjoyed it - if you like time travel it is a must read

2 Likes

Just finished West with Giraffes. It is well-researched and on the heart-warming end of story telling. I found it a little too contrived, but enjoyed it nevertheless.

1 Like

Glad to hear Sea of Tranquility was good – I loved Station Eleven (and the show) but hated The Glass Hotel.

reading Crying in H Mart
 crying a lot, myself
l

3 Likes