One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I also finished it today. Highly recommended- she’s an amazing writer. All three stories were so wonderful!

1 Like

Currently listening to Finding Me, written and narrated by Viola Davis. Well, so far this is a very compelling book. I thought I understood poverty, at least in the objective sense. NO. My idea of poverty and her experience of it are worlds apart.

Highly recommend.

4 Likes

You would find Oprah’s interview with Viola interesting- Oprah said she thought she grew up poor but she read violas book and it was eye opening - amazing life story

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I watched the interview and it was really interesting.

I really admire people like Viola who are able to rise from the ashes and not only survive, but go on to lead extraordinary lives. I cannot imagine living a childhood like hers. The rats situation as described in the book gave me vicarious anxiety. No wonder she said she had chronic sleep deprivation. Rats jumping onto your bed and eating the face off your doll would do that to you.

2 Likes

I just finished “Sea of Tranquility” by Emily St. John Mandel. I really liked it. I did like “Station 11” better, but this was really good.

2 Likes

“The Lords of Easy Money: How the Federal Reserve Broke the American Economy” by Christopher Leonard is highly recommended by Jim Grant and it is a must read in 2022.

Two recent books have been wonderful reads. One, for my book group, was The Water is Wide, by Pat Conroy. Set in the 1970s south, it is an educational book, the likes of which I have not read in decades. What happened to the inspirational education book? Previously I didn’t know Pat Conroy, and will be reading more of his books.

The other, Tastes Like War by Grace describes a Korean immigrant, mother of the author and her development of Schizophrenia and possible contributary history in post war South Korea.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! I remember randomly getting that book (The Water is Wide, or Conrack) from Scholastic Book Club or whatever it was in some middle grade in the late 60s or early 70s. Made a big impression on me. Of course if anyone’s not aware, he went on to write things like The Great Santini and Prince of Tides. Such an impressive but tragic life!

2 Likes

Pat Conroy is one of my favorite writers. I’ve think I’ve read all but one of his books (haven’t read Lords of Discipline yet). Prince of Tides is one of my favorite books and I think the movie did a pretty good job of telling the story in the constrained time frame.

1 Like

Bonus points for any book recommendations for titles that are free with Kindle Unlimited :grin:

I recently discovered a February oops where I (or hubby) signed up, and we’ve decided to keep it until back from our July vacation.

I’m enjoying Linda Greenlaw’s The Lobster Chronicles about her return to her family home on Isle au Haut, ME to switch to lobstering after 17 years as the only female sword-fishing boat captain on the American East Coast. (She was featured in Sebastian Junger’s The Perfect Storm.) The writing is quite witty, and her stories of life on a very small island are captivating. I’m enjoying this one so much, I’m going to read her other two, The Hungry Ocean and All Fishermen Are Liars next.

I found this book while browsing the small* library in the tiny Maine town we’re in for the summer. I can’t remember the last time I applied for an actual library card and took out a real hardcover book. I think I’m enjoying this one more just because it’s my first library experience in forever. I read the first few chapters in a comfy old chair in a nook waiting for the small Post Office across the street to re-open after their lunch break. Our mail carrier had called earlier in the morning to ask if I minded picking up a package that was too big for her vehicle. I love small town life, and this book mirrors some of our experiences here.

*I’m on a long digital waitlist for Crying in H Mart. The hardcover was sitting there for the taking on the main table of this tiny library.

8 Likes

I am a library addict. I love browsing for books. During early pandemic days, I really missed that, but at least they had door pickup, so I could “browse” on line and then get my books.

I am just not a digital book reader. Would have snatched up that hardcover! :slight_smile:

Also, I read Greenlaw’s Lobster Chronicle years ago. She’s an excellent writer!

6 Likes

Love my library so much I volunteer there twice a week! I much prefer real books to digital ones, too, and constantly have books checked out. What’s not to love about a library — you can try anything for free and not worry about whether you’re going to really like it or not because you’re not paying for it. Just turn it back in and get something new! I don’t need to buy new books and add to my clutter unless I’m trying to support an independent bookstore (also love them) or an author.

BTW, loved “Crying in H-mart” which I checked out from my library.

8 Likes

I love libraries, too, but eventually found I preferred e-reading for the backlighting, portability, search and lookup functions. I get all my e-books from the city library though, so no cost. I do love the actual books I own and have a nice physical library at home that I can’t imagine parting with. As Emily said, “There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away…” However you consume, consume often and enjoy. :open_book: :blush:

7 Likes

I intend to figure out how to do Libby at our library someday. (I think it could get complicated with my husband and I sharing a Kindle account, me on his ancient Kindle). So far whenever I’ve checked waitlist for my book club titles, the downloadable books have had longer list than hardcover (which I do prefer). T

I read both Tastes Like War and Crying in Hmart and I preferred Tastes to Crying. I thought it was more poignant and living in the NW, having traveled through the small towns mentioned in the book, the racism and isolation faced by her immigrant mother ring true.

I haven’t read Tastes, but I know a lot of folks involved in music so that part of Crying in H Mart rang true for me. I also helped take care of my mom in her last years so that felt true too.

I enjoyed and appreciated both books but the emphasis on research and the academic focus in Tastes like War added depth.

I listened to the Audiobook, which was very well done - read by the author. If you are a cook with any interest in Korean food, the book is especially compelling. The intertwining of the food descriptions with her relationship with her mom was really interesting.

5 Likes

I concur! I read her books several years ago and really enjoyed them.

1 Like