One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Maybe somebody would like to start an audiobook thread.

2 Likes

:wink: Audio book suggestions?

It was my subtle way of ā€œsuggestingā€ that the ā€œI hate audiobooksā€ posts cease. :grin:

3 Likes

Many libraries in urban areas and/or liberal areas got rid of the function which allows you to see what books youā€™d checked out. Under the Patriot Act, law enforcement can monitor your account without having to obtain a warrant. Librarians are banned from letting a patron know that LE is monitoring their account. The USA Patriot Act: Should Your Library Have an Official Policy? by Dorotea Szkolar - iSchool | Syracuse Universityā€¦

1 Like

I like Kindle for books with a foreign language words dropped in as itā€™s easy to look up the words.

2 Likes

Oh, how I could have used that when reading ā€œAll the Pretty Horseā€ (Cormac McCarthy).

It was the first title we read in a newly form Zoom book club, and it was sooo full of Spanish dialog. Since my high school language was German, it was a slog. I did print out an alphabetical list of translated phrase (similar to link below), but now I see there were some page by page references that could have been helpful too.

I donā€™t have a translation problem as much as a pronunciation issue. I want to hear it.

I imagine they are looking at your Goodreads & Amazon activity too. I figure at this point Big Brother is watching everything i do.

1 Like

I read a book tonight in one sitting called Sheā€™s Gone by David Bell. I had no clue what it was - it was one of those get the book for $5 for with any purchase at the B&N Cafe - i thought it had a cool cover and my other half bought it for me and put it in my stocking.

I think it was probably a young adult book - it was about teenagers. I plowed through it in one evening. Very good, and kept me guessing, though I guessed right in the end.

4 Likes

No spoilers that I will give nor do I want, but Iā€™m reading Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng and gosh, for me it is a hard emotional read! Iā€™m invested but I also have no idea how this will end!

4 Likes

Jim Dale! My daughter listened to the HP series nightly, for years, before bed (in addition to reading the books during the day, repeatedly). Hearing Jim Daleā€™s voice coming from her room every night made me frequently comment that he was the fifth member of our family :joy:. Such great narration.

5 Likes

I recently finished Crow Lake by Canadian author Mary Lawson. I love her writing style and her plots, usually centered on complicated families and set in a fictional, small/remote town in northern Canada. A month or so ago, I read another of her books that was probably my favorite of the three by her that I have read, The Other Side of the Bridge.

1 Like

@abasket , I was in the airport deciding between Missing Hearts and The Passenger and decided on the latter. And have been feeling like I chose wrong! Cormac McCarthy is clearly a master of his trade, but boy, am I having a hard time slogging through it.

1 Like

Is everyone here familiar with BookBub: Get ebook deals, handpicked recommendations, and author updates?

Every day you receive an email with ebooks heavily discounted that align with your particular reading interests.

You can decide genre, author, even specific book titles that you want to be alerted to when they get heavily discounted.

I am amazed at how much of a discount they can offer.
Usually the offer is for 2-3 days. Sometime just a day if a very popular selection.

Iā€™m hooked.

Granted Iā€™m totally addicted to kindle unlimited, library requests, etc. but such is life of a book lover. Never too many books to have waiting for you to read.

ETA: Iā€™m not affiliated with bookbub. Just a happy consumer who feels like a kid at Christmas every time I get an email to see whatā€™s on sale today!

5 Likes

Hereā€™s an interesting way to pick a book. Iā€™ve read four of these many books - one from ā€œheartbrokenā€, two ā€œnostalgicā€, and one ā€œinspiredā€. Just checked out one from ā€œsmartā€.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/books/tell-us-how-you-want-to-feel-and-well-tell-you-what-to-read-next/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Morning+Brief+1-6-23_1_6_2023&utm_term=Active%20subscriber

3 Likes

Inhaled Lessons in Chemistry in one night. I knew it was good when I realized it was 3 am

Audiobooks - saved my butt in the days pre-Sirius/Spotify, when all I could listen to on my 1.5-hour commute each way was AM radio. Because I worked second shift, it was Limbaugh and Hannity. Blergh.

Anyway, not to belabor audiobooks, b/c everyone has moved on, but I once kept my then-elementary-school-aged kids silent and mezmerized on an entire road trip to Florida by playing ā€œThe Girl Who Loved Tom Gordonā€ by Stephen King. The reader? Anne Heche.

6 Likes

Interesting way to categorize books, though Iā€™m not sure I agree with the categories some books are in.

Our library does reading challenges like this one that can be fun to expand your horizons.

4 Likes

My librarian who leads the branch bookclub sends this one to any interested:

I tried it last year and found it fun. I didnā€™t so much look for books but rather slid books I read into one of the categories if I could. Surprisingly it was fairly easy to do so.

3 Likes

That looks like a good list. I also like the Read Harder 2023 list, which I found out about because my favorite author was just asked to name her favorite book so that someone could put it on their list.

1. Read a novel about a trans character written by a trans author.
  2. Read one of your favorite authorā€™s favorite books.
  3. Read a book about activism.
  4. Read a book thatā€™s been challenged recently in your
    school district/library OR read one of the most-challenged/banned
    books of the year by a queer and/or BIPOC author.
  5. Read a completed webcomic.
  6. Finish a book youā€™ve DNFed.
  7. Listen to an audiobook performed by a
    POC of a book written by an AOC.
  8. Read a graphic novel/comic/manga if you havenā€™t before; or read
    one that is a different genre than you normally read.
  9. Read an independently published book by a BIPOC author.
  10. Read a book you know nothing about based solely on the cover.
  11. Read a cookbook cover to cover.
  12. Read a nonfiction book about BIPOC and/or queer history.
  13. Read an author local to you.
  14. Read a book with under 500 Goodreads ratings.
  15. Read a historical fiction book set in an Eastern country.
  16. Read a romance with bisexual representation.
  17. Read a YA book by an Indigenous author.
  18. Read a comic or graphic novel that features disability representation.
  19. Read a nonfiction book about intersectional feminism.
  20. Read a book of poetry by a BIPOC or queer author.
  21. Read a book of short stories.
  22. Read any book from the Ignyte awards shortlist/longlist/winner list.
  23. Read a social horror, mystery, or thriller novel.
  24. Pick a challenge from any of the previous yearsā€™ challenges to repeat
3 Likes

Not a trans author but This is How It Always Is is a terrific book. Wonderful characters and heartwarming story.

3 Likes