One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I’m reading the newest Louise Penny Inspector Gamache (A World of Curiosities). I have read every book in the series. As I read the last few books, I thought the author didn’t have much to say and was just continuing the series. I was pleasantly surprised—her new book really caught my attention.

Apparently, there’s a new Prime series based on Penny’s Inspect Gamache books (Three Pines). I haven’t watched it.

5 Likes

I enjoyed the Amazon Prime series Three PInes–each 2 episode set is based on one of the books.

What I cannot wrap my head around is Alfred Molina as Armand Gamache. Not Gamache as I mentally picture him. At one point Molina, as Gamache, curses in a car. I imagine Gamache as too gentlemanly to do that. I know, I know, not the actor’s fault, but…

4 Likes

I’m a big Barbara Kingsolver fan, going back to The Bean Trees. But I’m now a little under 100 pages in to Demon Copperhead, and it’s SO depressing! Please, someone tell me it’s worth sticking with it!

1 Like

It’s worth sticking with! For one thing, Demon is the narrator, so you know he’s gonna get through it.

4 Likes

Yeah, but just because he survives to tell the tale doesn’t make it any less depressing! But seriously, thanks, I’m staying with it.

3 Likes

It’s worth sticking with it! I won’t spoil it, but let’s just say that while the protagonist has a lot of suffering in his life, it is also a compassionate look at the strength of bonds within a community that is rarely portrayed kindly.

3 Likes

Haven’t followed this thread for a while, so please excuse me if this book has been mentioned already. I got Race for the Mind as a Christmas gift and highly recommend it for anyone interested in biotech fiction. The author is a former biotech exec and investor advisor, and he definitely knows his stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Mind-Daniel-Gerard-Welch/dp/0999381113

1 Like

Also, a Big fan of The Bean Trees, and many other Kingsolver books, and like you, I questioned whether demon was worth continuing, at the point where you are.
I debated. I’ve been in a reading slump for bit, and thought this may not be the one,

To my surprise, I stuck with it, at the 60% and just am hooked, hard to explain, but can’t wait to pick it up. There is something so compelling about Demon.

Don’t know where it’s going, but enjoying the ride,
Trust Kingsolver, and stick with it a bit longer………

8 Likes

Sometimes I like to wander in the library and take out random books. I am really loving Claire Fuller’s Swimming Lessons. The mystery in the plot keeps me reading late, and the quality of the writing is a pleasure.

Thanks for the endorsement. I was on the fence about purchasing Horse. I’m looking forward to reading it. I couldn’t pass on it for $2.

2 Likes

Please don’t worry about repeats, it’s often not until the third or fourth time someone mentions a book, that I think, “Hmm, maybe I should read that one.” It’s especially helpful, if you say something, anything about it! It looks interesting, btw.

6 Likes

@compmom, I enjoyed Swimming Lessons. I wanted to “solve the mystery” but also thought it was an interesting tale of how everything may not be as it seems. I think it may have been a Bas Bleu recommendation.

Love the writing. Found it randomly!

1 Like

Tops for 2022:

Lessons in Chemistry - Bonnie Garmus
Malibu Rising - Taylor Jenkins Reid
The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Merriweather Post - Allison Pataki
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Jenkins Reid
The Latecomer - Jean Hanff Korelitz
Shoe Story - Jane Rosen
The Maid- Nita Prose
The Bullet That Missed - Richard Osman (that series just keeps getting better)
Marrying the Ketchups - Jennifer Close
Killers of a Certain Age - Deanna Rayborn
A Beginners Guide to Murder - Rosalind Stoppes

Oddly, I tried to read Carrie Soto is back (Taylor Jenkins Reid) and could not get into it.

This years total was 167 books. (I am retired and I read fast).

I am mostly proud of H who previously didn’t read more than a few books a year - he read over 80 books in 2022. No longer having a TV in our bedroom is a game changer!

19 Likes

I just finished The People We Keep by Allison Larkin. I was trying to pace myself but ended up polishing it off much faster than planned; it was so good I couldn’t resist. I didn’t think a plot involving a 16-year-old girl leaving a neglectful home would draw me in so deeply, but there you have it. Beautiful writing.

2 Likes

“WOW” emoticon!!! (Also for you H!)

2 Likes

I’ve recently finished these three novels, liked them all. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Dinosaurs, a Novel - Lydia Millet (for a book club)
Remarkably Bright Creatures - Shelby Van Pelt
This Time Tomorrow - Emma Straub

3 Likes

Am halfway through a real stunner of a novel:

Niall Williams This is Happiness

First person narrative of the changes over time in a remote Irish town as it awaits electricity. The first whole page is just description of how much it rains and 5 minutes in I was begging DH to read it aloud. Feels very much like someone is just telling you a story.

3 Likes

I read that a while back and liked it very much!

1 Like

@greenbutton I just finished listening to the audiobook version of This is Happiness. The narrator’s Irish brogue combined with the lyrical prose, this was Irish storytelling at its best!

6 Likes