One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

Wow just finished reading Ang’s Our Missing Hearts. I liked it? A little more intense book than I’m used to…. Seems destined to be antihero Ng made for Tv movie??

2 Likes

Apologies for all the errors in my post above! I promise I hadn’t been drinking when I wrote it!!

I thought the first few episodes seemed “grittier” than I envision Three Pines. And I thought Clara would be older. :wink: I finished them all and am now just annoyed that Amazon hasn’t announced yet whether they are doing Season 2.

I just finished Molly Shannon’s autobiography, Hello Molly! Highly recommend, a treat to read, I laughed, I cried…She’s the SNL star behind Mary Katherine Gallagher/Superstar…just really engaging.

1 Like

YES—Peter and Clara, in the books, are clearly middle aged. The actress playing Ruth Zardo, OTOH, nailed her character perfectly!

If you watch the Murdoch Mysteries (Canadian series set in Victorian/Edwardian Toronto), their portrayal of Detective William Murdoch is more like l picture Gamache (minus Murdoch’s steampunk-like inventions!)

1 Like

I thought the town would be woodsier. I expected lots of trees.

1 Like

Three Sisters by Heather Morris. It is book #3 of The Tattooist of Auschwitz series but it is truly a standalone book. It is so good. A true story that reads like a novel. An amazing story.

1 Like

I just finished Ms. Demeanor by Elinor Lipman. It’s a delightful romcom for adults. If you’re a fan of Nancy Meyers movies, I think you’ll enjoy it. It’s the perfect antidote to the January doldrums.

7 Likes

I just read that also - I love Elinor Lipman - my fav is The Pursuit of Alice Thrift. I am actually going to see her at an indie bookstore tomorrow night!

6 Likes

That was my favorite, too. I’m seeing her next month. Enjoy!

1 Like

Another Elinor Lipman fan here! Thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Demeanor.

1 Like

I just finished Ms Demeanor, too. Fun read.

3 Likes

Here she is from last night

6 Likes

I put Killers of a Certain Age on request from my public library when I read about it here and it finally came in last week. I enjoyed it. And learned a lot…

3 Likes

I read it from our library last month, a nice breezy mystery with fun 60-something female characters… Happily it came available from Hold list just as I finished the tougher North and South title from CC/Feb book club.

3 Likes

Recently finished two really good books, one fiction and one non.

The Shore, by Katie Runde, interested me because the setting is the Jersey Shore, near where I grew up. But the story and characters and writing are so good, you don’t have to know the area at all.

And if you like wetlands like swamps and bogs, I recommend Annie Proulx’s Fen, Bog, and Swamp. Engaging, thought-provoking writing and impressive research. Proulx is always worth reading!

4 Likes

I finished Lucy ByThe Sea and was SO disappointed! You’ve been warned!

1 Like

I recently finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I would not normally expect to say that a book featuring large intelligent spiders who use ants as slaves spanning millennia would be one of the best books I’ve read, but I loved it. It’s a big juicy sci-fi, full of big ideas, but also some great characters and great world building.

1 Like

May have been mentioned previously but recently finished Olive Kittridge and Olive, Again. The first one won the Pulitzer. Thought provoking novels in essay format re: a strong-minded Maine woman and the people who intersect with her life. Really great!

8 Likes

Loved both of them.

1 Like