One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I just read Ann Cleeves for the first time. I read both of the Matther Venn books. (The only ones of hers in my library’s system.) “The Long Call” and “The Heron’s Cry” were both good. I hope that the next one will be bought by the library.

4 Likes

The Shetland book series is excellent, too. (The tv series is very different, but I also recommend—I found it after reading the series.)

2 Likes

It blows my mind that Ann Cleeves created both Jimmy Perez of Shetland and Vera Stanhope of the Vera series. Two of our favorite British crime shows.

4 Likes

Sounds like I should read/watch Vera! We loved the Shetland tv series.

1 Like

Vera is an older gruff no nonsense police inspector whose area is northeast England, Newcastle/Northumberland. The plots are incredibly well written.

She and an older detective named Kenny (been on the show since day 1, unlike rest of the squad) have a funny exchange near the start of every investigation.

Brenda Blethwyn, who plays Vera, also has a lousy sitcom called Kate and Koji. In it she basically plays a grumpy Vera-like character, now running a cafe.

2 Likes

One of my best books ever by one of my favorite authors. “Demon Copperhead” by Barbara Kingsolver. I’ve just finished it and am gobsmacked. It is so good.

7 Likes

Agree! Incredible book, I couldn’t put it down.

2 Likes

Yes, agree with Demon Copperhead ….page turner, Kingsolver, does it again .

2 Likes

I love her, and this was one of her absolute best.

2 Likes

It’s been a long time since I read David Copperfield. Do you think I’ll still enjoy/appreciate the Kingsolver book? (It’s on my library list, but I haven’t been anxious to start.) Thanks.

1 Like

Absolutely yes, you’ll enjoy it. While Kingsolver followed the plot line created by Dickens, her characters and their environment are of her making and completely modern. The joy in her book is not that it’s a clever recreation of the classic, but in her characters and the world they inhabit-- all quite recognizable and believable. Quite a feat!

6 Likes

I read a little over 60 books last year and am on track to do the same this year. I’m a few years behind the popular books, I think, but so far this year I have really enjoyed:

Cloud Cuckoo Land - Anthony Doerr (also absolutely loved All the Light We Cannot See when I read that years ago)

The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot - Marianne Cronin

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas (this was MUCH easier to read than I thought it would be. I didn’t realize it had been written as a serial. It goes so quickly and every chapter has action and leaves you wanting to read the next)

9 Likes

I read the Count of Monte Cristo years ago and I still think of it as one of my favorite books ever. At the time, I remember being so surprised that I liked it so much!

1 Like

Hmmm…. would Count of Monte Cristo make a good book club pick? It will be my turn soon to suggest for a zoom book club.

It is LONG, so take that into account. I really liked it, though. Other, shorter books I have enjoyed recently are:

Bunny - Mona Awad
A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles
The Book of Lost Names - Kristin Harmel
Piranesi - Susanna Clarke

1 Like

LOVED “A Gentleman in Moscow”. But most in our zoom book club group have already read it on their own (and also loved it). I’ll take a peek at those other titles.

3 Likes

If you’re looking for a lot of discussion, Bunny and Piranesi are probably the ones that will have people talking/debating.

1 Like

The library book I’m reading (an Eloise James) is nothing unusual, but I was charmed to turn the page and find this:

I did brush it out before it damaged the paper but hope it wasn’t special to the last reader.

5 Likes

Between Two Kingdoms- can’t put it down.

1 Like

Yes! I was part of a classics book club for years and we had very few books we all enjoyed and Count of Monte Cristo was one that all of us enjoyed. But, yes, it is long!

1 Like