One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I really enjoyed What Lies in the Woods.

If you like family drama/dysfunctional families, this is the book for you: The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz. I’m a fan of Korelitz and have read most of her novels. She also wrote Admission, a novel about an Ivy League admissions officer (IMO Latecomer is much better).

7 Likes

I loved The Latecomer!

3 Likes

Another vote for the Latecomer.

5 Likes

Piling on! The Latecomer was a good read!

4 Likes

Another vote for The Latecomer and a recommendation for the author’s campus novel, The Devil and Webster.

6 Likes

Latecomer was great! Well-written with an intriguing story line.

5 Likes

Another vote for Latecomer, especially the audiobook version. I kept extending my walk to hear the next chapter. Win win.

6 Likes

Would Latecomer be a good Book Club title?

5 Likes

Yes–lots of topics to discuss.

3 Likes

Hang the Moon by Jeannette Walls. Author of The Glass Castle, but this one is historical fiction.

3 Likes

“Metropolis” by B.A. Shapiro. Setting is very original - it takes place at an old storage unit facility.Well written, good story and characters.

2 Likes

@FallGirl I am going to have to read this one. I loved the book The Art Forger by the same author.

1 Like

I finished Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty, one of my favorite authors and she certainly did not disappoint with this one. It’s fantastic. I highly recommend it. What a gifted writer. Great story.

6 Likes

A Complicated Kindness by Canadian author Miriam Toews is darkly witty. and heartbreaking. I didn’t exactly like it, but I admire it greatly and started reading it again as soon as I finished the first time.

This author was new to me but is much acclaimed in Canada. Her recent Women Talking (which I haven’t read yet) is the basis of the movie by the same name 
 which received the Academy Award for best adapted screenplay.

2 Likes

I also loved it but I think there were mixed reviews from people on this thread! Is ok, plenty of stories for all!! :slight_smile:

I also liked Apples Never Fall. My boss and I were both reading it at the same time last year and discussing it.

1 Like

My local system is similarly awful. The thing that drives me nuts? It’ll have, like, Book 2 in a trilogy but not the first one
Augh.

2 Likes

Welcome to my world!! There are 7 small libraries in our system. They either all have a book or none of them do. Or, as you say, the second of a series!! I will say that they do have all of Sue Grafton’s “alphabet” books!!!

1 Like

I gotta say I generally like mystery novels, but I read one of hers and filed under “C is for Crap.”

1 Like