One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I really thought Hamnet was a great read. It was sad (too sad for a friend I lent it to), but had excellent writing and an intriguing premise.

2 Likes

I just finished Demon Copperhead. I had a hard time initially, getting into itā€¦but once I did, WOW.

6 Likes

After I read it, I grabbed a synopsis of David Copperfield and was really impressed by how close she stayed to that story line without making it feel forced or contrived. Truly a story for the ages. So happy she won a Pulitzer for it!

6 Likes

Thanks - it is now in my ā€œlibrary listā€. Iā€™ve stopped putting titles on hold because they can come in clumps.

2 Likes

I just finished You Can Make this Place Beautiful by poet Maggie Smith. Itā€™s a memoir re: the dissolution of her marriage. Written in a very poetic, thoughful fashion.

Read on the Libby app on my phone! (borrowed eBook from my local library). I never thought Iā€™d do eBooks - but so easy and convenient!!

Btw the title was taken from the final line of her poem Good Bones

5 Likes

Love the idea of borrowing ebooks!

So far Iā€™ve delayed setting that up at our library because 1) I donā€™t think my old hand-me down Kindle will workā€¦ can no longer order amazon books on itā€¦ needs to be done on husbandā€™s newer device for family account / mirrors to my device 2) the waiting lists for popular books I want for book clubs is surprising long for ebooks

Still Iā€™m thinking about dropping birthday Kindle hints for August.

2 Likes

@Colorado_mom It probably depends more on whether your old Kindle has internet access. My DH canā€™t access Libby on his Nook reader. I do it via my ipad and love the access although there is usually a long wait for popular books.

1 Like

I canā€™t recall who on here recommended Book Bub but itā€™s so addictive to see what daily deal they have in my preferred categories.

I rationalize sometimes purchasing them (typically 1.99) bc my mom and I share our Amazon kindle reads (sheā€™s the second adult on my account so it works beautifully).

But thank you again for continuing my book addictionā€¦I think, lol!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::joy::tada::books:

https://www.bookbub.com/launch

3 Likes

I have at least 20 books on hold at the library through Libby at any given time. I have accounts at two libraries. That way I always have something good coming up. If I get too many at once, I can schedule them to be delivered later, and that sometimes happens. The real snag is when I donā€™t realize that something isnā€™t in Kindle format. On my Kindle I can keep things forever if I turn off the wi-fi. The books on my phone will disappear when the loan is over (okay I could turn off data and wi-fi on my phone but that sort of defeats the purpose). It can be a juggling act but Iā€™ve been doing it for close to 15 years now. I was one who thought I would never read ebooks but I had a job that involved a lot of travel and the Kindle was so much easier than packing books, and having a backlit screen is so much easier than a book light.

8 Likes

I also load library loans on the kindle and then turn off Wi-Fi until I get a chance to finish them. A bunch came up at once so I put them on my older Kindle. I have Olga Dies Dreaming, The Marriage Portrait, The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot, and The Latecomer that way. They all cleared within days of each other. Another benefit of doing it this way is you can return the ebook early for someone else to borrow and you still have it.

3 Likes

I am a huge fan of Maggie Smith, have been since I first read that poem when it first came out. Iā€™ve taught it a lot since then in my comp classes, and semester after semester, students have reflected on what an enormous impression it made on them. I was able to share one studentā€™s eloquent writing about it with Smith (student had just lost her mother and drew solace from the poem), and she was very gracious about it.

I thought her memoir was absolutely really beautiful. Much strength, and as you say, thoughtfulness. (Also, never cheat on a poet).

2 Likes

I only have the wifi ON on my Kindle when Iā€™m downloading a book - otherwise I always have it on airplane mode.

While itā€™s true that it can be a long wait for extremely popular books, I like the Libby option of if a a hold book comes available and youā€™re not ready to borrow you can postpone a ā€œdeliveryā€ without losing your place in line. There is a little slide bar and you can say you want to delay checking it out for days or weeks or whatever. Itā€™s not exact but works pretty well.

Does Amazon have refurbished Kindles for reduced prices? Itā€™s possible.

4 Likes

Is someone looking for them? I think they do that. They can DM me tooā€¦ I have several no longer being used.

1 Like

They do have some refurbished. Here is one example. Iā€™ll also mention that the Kindles are usually nicely discounted on Amazon Prime day - which is often early in July.

Certified Refurbished Kindle Paperwhite (8 GB) ā€“ Now with a 6.8" display and adjustable warm light ā€“ Ad-Supported https://a.co/d/2T6K35e

@Colorado_mom mentioned maybe hinting for one for a birthday. Just thought Iā€™d share some thoughts on how to get one discounted! :slight_smile:

Finished The Latecomer (as audiobook) which was recommended unthread - I liked it though I struggled as the web of lies grew in the middle of the book and it looked like there was no good way out - but kept going and glad I did.

4 Likes

I finished this week too. Really liked it. Not my top but glad I did.

Has anyone read The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese yet?

1 Like

I just bought the book a few days ago, and Iā€™m looking forward to reading it. I thought Cutting for Stone was brilliant. I love that Verghese took leave from his medical practice to apply to and attend the University of Iowa Writerā€™s Workshop. He cares about words and writing wellā€”which is a big positive IMO.

4 Likes

Definitely on the GOAT list for me. Iā€™ve been looking forward to this one.

I did the audiobook of Latecomers for the CC book club and loved it; really felt like I knew the characters. But itā€™s been a couple of weeks since I finished and now I think Iā€™m mixing them up with the Succession siblings :wink:.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t realize it was the book club choice; Iā€™m now tracking that thread so thanks. Curious what others have to say.

2 Likes