One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I had my doubts about Cloud Cuckoo Land at first, but I ended up loving it. Especially after I figured out one major plot point. As I recall it was another book that I think was as much fun to discuss as to read with the CC Bookclub.

6 Likes

I started an audiobook thread

1 Like

Just for fun for Libby usersā€¦

I havenā€™t tried this yet, but apparently if you return a book early , if you tap the flower bouquet in this pic you will get a ā€œthank youā€ of an explosion of flowers on your screen!

The more you know. :wink:

3 Likes

I follow her too.

1 Like

She is a newer follow for me but i like her!

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation of The Hero of this Book. (Sorry, I donā€™t recall who all mentioned it.) Not really a genre I typically go for, but the writing was lovely and after finishing it, I found mystery reflecting on so many topics sheā€™d brushed up against.

Now off to a pile of reading acquired at a used book sale fundraiser. With everything priced between $0.50 and $1.00, $50 in my pocket, and this thread for inspiration, I can go back to my cave for another month or soā€¦

5 Likes

ā€œStone Cold Foxā€ by Rachel Koller Croft was a fun read (I read it in a day). The story of a con woman trying to marry a man from a very wealthy family. Not a deep read but fun.

1 Like

Just pit it on hold, looks like a fun read.

1 Like

One of my book group members mentioned she had just read ā€œSpareā€. Most of the rest of us had not. It was interesting to see the very strong reactions from those that had some empathy for Harry and those who dismissed him as a rich whiner. Same for Megan.

Not a fan of Remarkably Bright Creatures. I couldnā€™t suspend my disbelief over the humanization of the octopus. Not sure I just didnā€™t feel it.

Love Cloud Cuckoo Land and read Donā€™t Letā€™s Go to the Dogs Tonight years ago and thought it was great (as did my book group).

2 Likes

I forget how to search in this thread for a book nameā€¦ how do I do that?

Just finished The Summer Seekers by Sarah Morgan. A refreshing story about mothers/daughters, getting older, new adventures, etc. Not a complicated read but I really liked it!

@abasket , if you go to the magnifying glass for searching (on my computer itā€™s at the top right) and click it, thereā€™s an option for ā€œin this topic,ā€ so you can limit your search just to this thread. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you! I actually did that and saw the text ā€œin this threadā€ but didnā€™t realize I had to drop down to that - thought I was already search/typing ā€œin this threadā€! Teach an old dog new tricks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I finished Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand. It was good. I was 18 that summer and so very much happenedā€¦first man on moon, Woodstock, Manson murders. And I was off to college at UNC-CH around the third week in August, which for me eclipsed everything because I was a shallow girl then ha ha.
A fun nugget in the book. One of the daughters goes to work at the front desk of the Shiretown Inn in Edgartown on Marthaā€™s Vineyard. That was where Sen. Ted Kennedy was staying and fled to the night of the ā€œChappaquiddick Incidentā€, that summer of '69. In the book, the author invents a reason the girl was away from the desk, a big no-no for which she was fired, when Kennedy came in. The night watchman saw him. Wet. I have no idea if that part is true, probably I guess since she included it.
Years later, my husband and I took a week long sailing course out of Edgartown and stayed there. Behind the desk they had a notice posted that said ā€œPLEASE DO NOT ASK US ABOUT THE CHAPPPAQUIDDICK INCIDENTā€. My eyes about bulged out of my head when I found out why. (I canā€™t find that itā€™s still open).

3 Likes

I just finished The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling. I thought it was good. I have never read her Harry Potter novels. I guess that I should.

Hi, havenā€™t been out here in a while. I recently read something that blew me away. One of my daughters recommended A Half-Built Garden by Ruthanna Emrys. Science fiction, climate fiction, very feminist (nursing moms in the forefront!). Probably the best book Iā€™ve read this decade so far.

5 Likes

Last week I was at the library picking up my copy of ā€œThe Latecomerā€ and browsed the table of favorite picks from the librarians. Decided to take home The Cartographers too and really enjoyed it. Iā€™m from NY so especially liked the storyline at NY Public Library at the geographical references in Sullivan County (near Rockland, close to the Rt 17 route I often drove)

7 Likes

Sounds good! Though I initially read it as ā€œNeil Youngā€ and I was confused!

2 Likes

Oh my, that sounds fascinating!

I recently finished The Marriage Portrait by Maggie Oā€™Farrell (Hamnet author). Really enjoyed it. She did a terrific job of creative an interior life for the young duchess. Very readable, well written, and interesting plot. This is the kind of book I love to get lost in on a flight or on vacation although my own reading circumstances were far more ordinary!

6 Likes

Iā€™m reading it right now. I love it.

By the author of Hamnet, also a great read.

2 Likes