One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

For our summer reading program you get to choose a book when you sign up. When you finish that have stickers you can get (had nice bumper stickers last year) plus a raffle from local businesses.They used to give the free books at the end so doing it up front is a twist.

1 Like

Totally off-topic, but one of the main things I miss having moved away from the Southwest is Rubios. Langustino burritos, sigh.

2 Likes

We go to Rubios every time weā€™re in San Diego! Itā€™s the best.

3 Likes

Love Rubios, itā€™s a staple here. The California bowl with cauliflower rice is one of the few things I can eat at a fast food place, and I love their salsa bar.

2 Likes

Fine, when I get back from my trip, Iā€™ll join the reading club.

2 Likes

Just finished ā€œA Piece of the Worldā€ by Christina Baker Kline.

She also wrote ā€œOrphan Trainā€ (which I liked a great deal).

Itā€™s based on the inspiration of an actual painting; and I found it beautifully written. Peaceful yet with a slight edge.

A Piece of the World: A Novel https://a.co/d/gvFlXD3

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on this. I loved Orphan Train and The Exiles.

1 Like

I read that years ago but all I remember was that I didnā€™t love it.

Just finished North by Brad Kessler. Wow! Impactful story, beautiful prose. It will stay with me for a long time.

Brief description from Goodreads - ā€œAs a late spring blizzard brews, Brother Christopher, a cloistered monk at Blue Mountain Monastery in Vermont, rushes to tend to his Ida Red and Northern Spy apple trees in advance of the unseasonal snowstorm. When the storm lands a young Somali refugee, Sahro Abdi Muse, at the monastery, Christopher is pulled back into the world as his life intersects with Sahroā€™s and that of an Afghan war veteran in surprising and revealing ways.ā€

The Afterword explains Kesslerā€™s motivations for writing the novel. I checked the book out via Libby from my library and read it on my Kindle, but he mentions in the Afterword that all royalties are being donated to the Vermont office of the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants. Iā€™m going to buy a copy and gift it to my mother as I know she will like it.

4 Likes

In the light reading category, I reported about 10 days ago my very positive experience with the new Curtis Sittenfeld book, Romantic Comedy. Today I finished Emily Henryā€™s new book, Happy Place. I have enjoyed her 3 previous books, but not so much with this one. I did enjoy how the story ended, but I think she did a horrible job of telling the story. Overly dramatic in many different ways, IMO. Given that Iā€™ve liked the other 3 books, I will probably give her another chance when the next book rolls out, but I would encourage those thinking about this one to wait for the inevitable movie and save your time.

Iā€™m looking forward to reading Curtis Sittenfeldā€™s latest (I have enjoyed her previous books). Iā€™ll pass on Emily Henry. I have tried to read 2 of her prior books and could not get into either.

3 Likes

I felt the same way about her latest book - Happy Place and posted about it on the audible book string. I thought it was maybe listening instead of reading - but a 1 star for me. Liked her other books, but have read and not listened.

I tried Beach Read, finished it, but thought it was pretty slapdash. And not particularly a beach read. it felt like pieces kept being added in to make new chapters, with no structure or tension. Doubt Iā€™ll try another.

2 Likes

I just started Curtis Sittenfeldā€™s new book Romantic Comedy and Iā€™m enjoying it.

2 Likes

I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys - OUTSTANDING!

2 Likes

I will put that on my (extremely long) list. She is a fantastic writer.

1 Like

I just finished The Book Thief which is several years past its enormous fame. Oh my goodness this is one of the most extraordinary and odd books ever. Such imagination. It was simply amazing.

7 Likes

Itā€™s one of my favorite books of all time.

3 Likes

Me,too. I think itā€™s going in my top 10 if not top 5 ever.

2 Likes

Itā€™s been nice to start summer off with some good reads. Just finished The Secret Book of Flora Lea, The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell and Only The Beautiful. All turned out to be sad books, but interesting reads. Looking forward to a summer of good books.

3 Likes