One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . .

I know we’ve talked about mysteries before, @Bromfield2 - but you could be my reading twin! I also enjoy Robert Crais (the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series more than the stand-alone), Thomas Perry (the Jane Whitfield series), the old Dennis Lehane stuff (the Kenzie/Gennaro books), and Tony HIllerman. And Laura Lippman. And now, S.A. Cosby…

2 Likes

I love Robert Crais books especially the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike ones. I always look forward to his new ones.

1 Like

Hi Scout :wave:

Strong thumbs up for S.A. Cosby

On a completely different note (or genre), I don’t usually do fantasy, but my S who is a big fan lent me the newest Brandon Sanderson , who is apparently a really big deal, Tress of the Emerald Sea, which is part of a “secret project” of new books written during the pandemic. I really enjoyed it. Apparently he has written scores of good fantasy, both my kids like his stuff. Anyway, good writing and great fun.

Doubt I’ll get into the whole world it’s a part of, because I don’t want it to give away that much time, but I did greatly enjoy it.

Hi @ignatius! :wave:

Isn’t he great? I really liked his latest (All the Sinners Bleed) And I just picked up the reissue of My Darkest Prayer.

1 Like

I read My Darkest Prayer. Read his forward: Cosby describes My Darkest Prayer as “the shadow of a writer finding his place.” True but that “shadow of a writer finding his place” grabbed my attention and refused to let go.

Anyway, I liked the book; I’m at the point where I’m incapable of not liking something he writes. But for anyone here considering Cosby’s books, this probably isn’t the one with which to start. For any of his fans - like me and @scout59 - don’t miss this one just because it’s his first effort.

I always feel a need to “defend” my book choices by saying I don’t like/need a heavy book and I often read things that are not the recent bestsellers - I get to them eventually! Years later!

I just finished My Oxford Year and gave it 5 starts on Goodreads. (Would have given it like 4.6 but you have to choose a whole number). I’ve heard that it is actually a good audio book.

3 Likes

I also enjoyed My Oxford Year. I don’t remember what I rated it on Goodreads, but like you I am often frustrated by the need to use whole numbers for my ratings. Wish we could at least do “halfsies” on our numerical ratings.

4 Likes

My younger son’s favorite author is probably Brandon Sanderson. He’s bought the leatherbound editions of his books! I really respect him, but I find a lot of his books too long and his magic systems too complicated.

1 Like

I, too, enjoyed the TV series.

Good to hear your D22 is still interested in coming over. London has much to offer and discover, for students and their parents! Just last week, my D22 and I went exploring in East London (Ridley Road Market) and were introduced to a deliciously spicy Ghanaian chicken rice dish.

1 Like

I’m 600 pages in “The covenant of Water” and feel like abandoning it.
Has anyone struggled with this one?
Should I push through, stick with it ?
So far, it’s been quite readable, / enjoyable but I’m losing the mojo for this one.

Kudos to Abraham Verghese it’s certainly a “sweeping” epic.

This one was very charming, and I liked the main character a lot. Plus the narrator had really interesting things to say. But yes, I wouldn’t want to try to read the whole universe of books, because the magic stuff could definitely get exhausting. I found this book, though it has plenty magic/weird world stuff in it, to be mostly about human relationships and character, and that worked for me.

After I read it my S asked if things were confusing because some characters came from other books in that “world” but I never felt like I was missing anything I couldn’t infer.

So, it’s a fun read, very thoughtful, engaging author, but yeah, I don’t need to get immersed in the whole universe. Recommend it for a one time experience, as it is basically a “stand-alone.”

(also this was definitely the fancy expensive version–I think part of a kickstarter campaign? Don’t quite no the details, but four secret books are coming in the mail to S over the course of this year.)

1 Like

@jerseysouthmomchess isn’t it only about 150 more pages? If it were me, and it was readable and I was 600 pages in, I personally would keep going. That’s assuming the writing was good.

I’m actually reading the novel now but am only on about page 220. I’d be much further along if I’d had the time to devote to it because when I am reading it, the pages seem to go by quickly. I just love Verghese’s writing. I haven’t read a really long book in a while as the pandemic did something to my attention span, but so far, I’m really enjoying Covenant of Water! Maybe I should check back in when I reach 600 pages :wink:

Good luck!

2 Likes

Ugh, maybe I’d better start soon - it’s my zoom book club title. But first I need to read the CC August book. Can abandon my library/kindle book.

3 Likes

Same. It has driven me crazy since joining Goodreads, but someone just last week explained why to me. Rating systems are based on the Likert scale, which a psychometric scale. Because they are trying to measure the intensity of people’s responses, the scale forces you to select among whole numbers. If they allowed for half, it would not be as valid a measure. (Though, I still wish I could give half stars!!)

Thanks for reply ! Glad you are reading covenant for water, and I do like his writing, the characters, plot, setting, historical period- it’s long - let me know when you get to where I am now…. Curious.
I’m sure I will finish it, just hit bump in reading journey.

Anyone read Magpie Murders? After watching the PBS series last year I received the book at Christmas. Unlike the TV series, which jumped back and forth between the fictional 1950’s novel and the present day, the novel runs through the 1950s whodunit, then spends the rest of the book in present day.

To be honest, when I finished the first half of the book, I wished it had stayed in the 1950s–I enjoyed the whodunit so much.

3 Likes

Yes, I have read magpie murders and the sequels - love Anthony Horowitz’s mysteries. He has another series also which starts with The word is murder. Those are different - slightly meta as he is a character in the book

3 Likes

Interesting. I never know how to rate books which I thoroughly enjoyed, but weren’t very deep, vs ones that seem to have more depth. It’s pretty rare that I give anything but 4 or 5 stars because with a few exceptions I won’t finish books I’m not enjoying.

I totally base my rating on my enjoyment of the book!

5 Likes