One of the biggest myths on CC - UC to UC transfers have no chance

<p>There’s a lot of anecdotal evidence that floats around College Confidential, but one of the most persistent is that UC to UC transfers have no chance or very little chance of being accepted. To test this theory out, I ran StatFinder to see what the admittance rates were in 2008 of University of California transfers to other University of California schools. Here are the results:</p>

<p>School|UC to UC transfer rate|California Community College transfer rate</p>

<p>University wide: 57.5%/81.7%</p>

<p>UC Berkeley: 19.5%/29.0%
UC Davis: 71.3%/74.6%
UC Irvine: 34.8%/60.5%
UC Los Angeles: 28.0%/38.0%
UC Merced: 55.7%/84.1%
UC Riverside: 69.9%/80.7%
UC San Diego: 61.6%/68.4%
UC Santa Barbara: 70.5%/70.3%
UC Santa Cruz: 72.9%/71.5%</p>

<p>Although this doesn’t tell you the strength of the applicants, it’s clear that many people do have a decent shot at UC to UC transfers. As a matter of fact, the acceptance rate at UCSB and UCSC was higher for UC to UC transfers than community college transfers! For Davis it was fairly close, and many schools did not have as great a difference as you would think from the anecdotal evidence presented on College Confidential.</p>

<p>Thanks for dispelling this myth that morons who only rely on anecdotal references keep spreading. Good work.</p>

<p>While the acceptance rate may be generally favorable, prospect transfers have to realize that their GPA has to be approx. 3.5 which in college is a notable achievement.</p>

<p>Unless you're doing some kind of odd major like "Jewish Studies" or "Geophysics" which really you only need about 3.00 GPA or higher :p</p>

<p>^Umm Geophysics isn't an "odd major". It is a rather important part of geology. Geophysicists are the ones who predict earthquakes and whatnot and possibly save your life.</p>

<p>Also, geology majors of any sort can find themselves working for oil companies. Geology majors are rather lucrative.</p>

<p>When I mean by "odd", I didn't mean by the subject itself, but more of the number of applicants who applied under that major. The two mentioned "odd" majors I mentioned only had transfer applicants of 10 or less for UCLA admissions.</p>