Only New York State Engineering Programs?

Our SoCal daughter attended SUNY Buffalo and majored in EE& CS.

She received an excellent education there and my husband considered her engineering education on par with undergrad engineering at UCSD. Our daughter got to PLAY in the snow and then returned to SoCal and has performed extremely well in jobs, promotions, bonuses, etc.

Edited to add: Husband believes that Buffalo’s engineering department is “very underrated” nationally.

7 Likes

Originally Teen’s interest was a Chemistry adjacent thing. But Teen got an opportunity to participate in a program that cemented the interest in the field.

I was looking at University of Buffalo (SUNY) and their program looks VERY interesting and would likely be very cost effective for us. I want to try to take a trip up there. The only thing I am worried about is the supposed harsh winters. Am glad yours seemed to enjoy the snow. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good to visit different options if possible. I know people who enjoyed and were successful out of SUNY Buffalo and Manhattan College but the two schools are different.

2 Likes

ABET accreditation is specifically required or helpful if one wants to go for PE licensing (most common in civil engineering, but sometimes done in other engineering) or do the patent exam. Otherwise, it indicates that the program meets a relatively high minimum standard of preparing the student to work in engineering.

Where engineering bachelor’s degree programs exist without ABET accreditation, they are commonly among the following:

• Programs where graduates commonly go on to non-engineering (but may be engineering-adjacent) areas of work (e.g. finance and consulting). Some of these schools also offer ABET-accredited programs for those who want to work in engineering after graduation.
  • Programs in areas that are less traditional types of engineering, such as biomedical, computer, and software engineering, although ABET accreditation may exist for them, and some schools do seek ABET accreditation in them (or for general criteria only if the specific major ABET accreditation does not exist).
  • Programs (other than civil engineering) at schools where the engineering quality is well reputed to be top-end already.
2 Likes

It’s required, for ME, as an example because many employers specifically require it - and note it in the job descriptions. My son said many ask about it right on the job app - do you attend a school accredited by ABET as well as asking if you meet a certain gpa - usually 3.0.

I have no doubt schools without are fine but many employers won’t consider their grads.

I don’t know if the same holds true for ChemE. But it seems like there’s loads in NY that are so that won’t be an issue.

1 Like

USMA is in New York, it’s “free,” and it has an ABET-accredited Chemical Engineering major. Of course, there is that pesky service requirement…. :wink:

3 Likes

They had a long break over January and she missed most of those harsh snowstorms. She would come back to find everything well-plowed and missed the “stories from classmates being snowbound”.

2 Likes

@tsbna44 this is why this family is looking for colleges in NY State.

(Adding…Delaware is a fine school….but it’s not in NY State which is what this parent is asking about)

@sybbie719 is this the Excelsior award? What is the amount…and exactly what does it cover.

No supposing about it. They are harsh.

1 Like

That’s what good winter clothing is all about. Really, plenty of people deal with harsh winters, and it’s fine.

4 Likes

I love Maine winters and I grew up in Texas. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@NewtK

If you have a household income of $125k definitely apply for the Excelsior Scholarship, The program covers tuition for eligible SUNY and CUNY students. For the 2024-25 academic year, families who earned $125,000 or less in the tax year 2022 are eligible to apply

https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid.html#horizontalTab2

Have your child check his ranking in school, if he is in the top 10% of the class he would also be eligible for the STEM incentive scholarship, which covers tuition at SUNY/CUNY (regardless of income)
The NYS STEM Incentive Program provides awards for full-time study up to the annual tuition charged to NYS resident students attending an undergraduate program at the State University of New York (SUNY), or actual tuition charged, whichever is less, for the top 10 percent of students in each New York State high school if they pursue a STEM degree in an associates or bachelor degree program and agree to work in a STEM field in New York State for 5 years after graduation.

https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid.html#horizontalTab2

I know that SUNY ESF was mentioned up thread. Did you know that students registered at SUNY ESF can take 15 credits at Syracuse (which has Chemical engineering- it could be enough for a minor) and also use their facilities. Syracuse is literally right next door to ESF and SUNY Upstate Medical is right across the street (should your son be thinking about medicine).

https://www.esf.edu/about/esfsu.php

If you are in NYC, do not sleep on the Grove School of Engineering at City College (CUNY), which punches well above it’s weighthttps://www.ccny.cuny.edu/engineering

6 Likes

ESF does have its own ABET-accredited ChemE major; they used to call it “Bioprocess Engineering” but it was always accredited under ChemE, and now they have eliminated that source of confusion by renaming the department ChemE. Still, cross-registration at Syracuse is a great enhancement that presumably increases the breadth of available electives.

7 Likes

Another possibility for a full tuition scholarship for New York State residents that choose a CUNY is through the Macaulay Honors College.

4 Likes

Winter happens and there are many northern cities. Buffalo and other lake shore cities are very good at moving snow. It will be a rite of passage and good for stories down the road.

6 Likes

Our daughter is/was a unique person, and she wore her Reef surfer sandals trudging to class, through the snow, while she was in Buffalo.
They have the tunnel system, which means the buses drive-through, under the dorm buildings, to pick up students and drop them off at the lucite tunnels.

She was dropped off at the Starbucks tunnel. What that means is, at the entrance to the tunnel, there was a Starbucks. The students traveled from class to class through the tunnel system.

2 Likes