OOS Curiosities

AgMomx2 – I totally agree, as usual! For years, you have been so helpful to me and mine! Thank you!

@NETarrantMom Thank you for the details. (You are another great source of information and encouragement, so thank you!) I’m only asking, because when the OOS waiver amount increased to $4000, we were told by Financial Aid that the scholarships could stack (and that included departmental ones) to reach the $4K. After a wonderful day at Aggieland Saturday and talking with several people about our situation, we ended speaking with a super nice out of state student who did some research for us, and he said that, for a departmental scholarship to count toward a waiver, it has to be both competitive and renewable.

Now, my question is is, what do they exactly mean by renewable? Is there a difference in renewable and 4 year? We know that the 4 year ones, like PES, Lechner, Opportunity, etc. are good for 4 years as long as GPA is kept up. And I’m only guessing, if my assumptions are correct, that the ones he’s referring to as renewable might mean that it is for one year with a chance of being renewed if you meet certain criteria? If it’s competitive, it should go toward the waiver, right?

We are all in no man’s land this year since I’m sure most OOS waivers from last year didn’t have to be stacked. $500 per semester was probably all in one scholarship.

I’m hoping some veterans might know the answer. Thank you all for continuing to share your wealth of knowledge with us. My son also plan to call tomorrow to confirm.

@rvhappynow 4-yr scholarships are renewable if the student meets the renewal requirement. So same thing.

Scholarship amounts here are generally on the smaller side, and yes - you can stack (& we did for my oldest) two departmental scholarships to add up to the required amount. They were departmental, one year non-renewing and were counted. Over the years we had one that did not count, it was clearly stated on the award letter - it was actually generated from Financial aid, for our youngest who already had qualified with other scholarships. Here are the documents for OOS waivers (note the second one is not yet updated to the $4K amount since it isn’t due for review yet, just states the amount in effect by Texas law):

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Non-Resident-Tuition-Waiver
http://rules-saps.tamu.edu/PDFs/13.03.99.M0.03.pdf

Scholarships here are very different to many other schools as many are sponsored by individuals vs. just donating to the university and letting them distribute it. There are many smaller scholarship amounts due to this. You’re required to write thank you notes to your scholarship sponsor & there are banquets to honor the scholarship provider which the recipient attends & meets their sponsor in person. It is a unique opportunity for marketing purposes as your scholarship student attends and chats with those people, adding to their collection of contacts before graduation :slight_smile:

@AGmomx2 Thank you! I love the idea of the thank you notes and receptions. I’ve always wondered about the generous folks behind the money and this is such a great way to make the connections. I appreciate the links you sent, and I’ve read through them with a fine toothed comb a few times. I think what I’m still trying to for sure understand is this. As far as the departmental awards go (for us it would be general engineering, if anything), are you saying that some are considered competitive, while others are just additional aid that is offered, but not necessarily competitive? The documents about the waiver use the word competitive very clearly, so I’m assuming that certain departmental awards will count and some will not. Am I finally figuring this out? Thank you for putting up with these questions.