OOS scholarships, incoming freshman.

<p>Minny kids are a little more loyal and their school is right in the city so many of them can commute from home if they want.</p>

<p>Don't get how MN "kids ...more loyal". The 2 states- WI and MN- decided it was mutually advantageous to have reciprocity- there is a long shared border and kids who go to other state schools than the flagship ones, many WI students live closer to Minneapolis than Madison also. It is a lot further for all WI students to UIUC and historically students didn't choose to head to the cornfields, therefore not in Wisconsin's interest to offer reciprocity with IL. There was no reciprocity of any kind eons ago. Most of Michigan is across the lake and hard to travel to, although I think there are tuition breaks for UP schools for WI residents.</p>

<p>We are talking from the perspective of Minn vs Illinois kids. Wisconsin has nothing to do with it except as the target school. If UW schools, especially Madison were opened to Illinois kids at instate rates there would be a flood of them and a net loss to Illinois (far fewer Wisconsin residents would go down to Illinois). Last Fall UW got 721 freshman from Minn and 587 from Illinois with Illinois kids paying about 3 times the tuition. Imagine how many would come if tuition were the same as instate Illinois. I'd guess triple the current number if that were actually possible given practical limits on ths size of UW.
Also the greatest proportion of Wisconsin population, by far, is within about 75 miles of the Illinois border.</p>

<p>Interesting Powerpoint from UW.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/kauffman/Kauffman_2009_presentation_022709.ppt#399,1,Division%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/kauffman/Kauffman_2009_presentation_022709.ppt#399,1,Division&lt;/a> of Enrollment Management</p>

<p>The flagship IL U is a lot further south than the state line, not just the border trip for distances (135 miles from Chicago and 186 miles from Rockford, a lot further for other places), also the terrain is flat at UIUC and other features differ. Reciprocity won't work as Wis residents aren't clamoring to attend IL public schools whereas WI and MN can trade students. Remember all of the other schools in the UW system count for the exchange, not just the Madison campus. Loyalties can change with a perceived better campus- the Twin Cities do have many advantages, Champaign/Urbana do not.</p>

<p>And what's your point again?? I said Minn kids are more loyal as in more likely to stay home and go to the U Minn than Illinois kids are are likely to stay in Illinois and go to UI if both have the option of going to Madison for instate rates. You seem to be trying to argue the point while actually agreeing. It has nothing to do with distance. From the population base of Wisconsin (south central and southest) it is about as far or farther to Uminn than UIUC. We really don't know how many Wisconsin kids would head to U of Illinois but it would be far less than the number going north and that was my point. I really don't care about the trends betwen the other Minn and Wisconsin schools. I only comment regarding the main flagships. Illinois people probably know that and would never go for such a deal as they would lose too many top students.</p>

<p>UIUC is expensive for IL residents, so a reciprocity agreement with Wisconsin will probably never happen.</p>

<p>Costs listed are estimates because they haven't been finalized for 2009-2010, but they look reasonably accurate:
University</a> of Illinois Financial Aid: Undergraduate Resident 2009-2010 Cost</p>

<p>barrons has a point, wis75 was trying to argue but then was agreeing with it. So you guys are both right. I think wis75 just misunderstood your meaning of "minn kids are more loyal".</p>

<p>Wait a minute. UIUC is expensive for instate (about 23K out the door) but still considered a value by all IL residents, especially by those (and I know many) who chose UIUC over Ivies at twice the cost. And in many ways academically it's comparable to UW-Madison.</p>

<p>My D was accepted immediately at UIUC, had visited many times (in good weather & bad) but it was never in the running once she saw Madison. UIUC never felt like home--too many people walking fast with their heads down, and she said Green St. could have been transported from Chicago. She said UW-Madison 'looked like college was supposed to look like', whatever the heck that means...</p>

<p>So THAT'S why I'm paying an extra 40K over 4 years. Oh, 5 years if she goes into the teacher program.</p>

<p>Dang Badgers!</p>

<p>UIUC Resident and UW-Madison COA estimates for comparison purposes:</p>

<p>University</a> of Illinois Financial Aid: Undergraduate Resident 2009-2010 Cost
UW-Madison</a> Office of Student Financial Aid : Undergraduate 2009-2010 Cost of Attendance</p>