Chancellor's Scholarship

<p>This is a long shot for us, as my daughter was recently deferred. Not even sure she will be admitted, let alone get any scholarship offers. However, we still applied for this scholarship...looks like it is for either full tuition or OOS tuition waiver. Can't hurt to ask.</p>

<p>From threads of prior years it looks like decisions on scholarships go out in mid to late March, but I'm curious who here has applied and the stats of applicants.</p>

<p>My daughter is Hispanic, 28 ACT, 3.68W GPA; 3.5UW GPA. OOS at one of the higher ranked public schools in Illinois. School does not rank. Good grade trends... had just slightly over a 3 GPA freshman year, just shy of 4.0 for soph through 1st semester of senior year. Typical extra-c's, swam fresh-soph, varsity CX junior senior, violin for 7 years. She is a fine writer and has great letters of rec, so hopefully that counts for something.</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of a deferred applicant getting that scholarship (or frankly many scholarships). Typically, the Chancellor’s Scholarship goes to off-the-chart GPA & ACT minority students. I’m talking 34-36 ACT, 3.9 GPA, etc. In my opinion, these are offered to top minority students to “guarantee” they attend Wisc.</p>

<p>There are so few scholarships, particularly for OOS, that the odds of a deferred student receiving a merit scholarship are poor.</p>

<p>Obviously, I don’t have access to all the results from the past, so I wish the best your daughter.</p>

<p>Sure, I acknowledged in the first sentence of my first post that it is a long shot. I wasn’t looking for opinions on her chances, just trying to start a thread so people can see what stats wind up getting these scholarships. The only qualifications I saw were a 3.0 GPA. Of course the winners will likely be significantly higher, but she exceeds the minimum qualifications, and the worst they can do is say no.</p>