Opinions of Mid-Atlantic Nursing Schools?

<p>Oops! I am having trouble following this message board. My last post was supposed to be a reply to someone who listed several schools and was asking for opinions, but my reply does not appear to be where it was intended(at least on my computer).</p>

<p>Over on the Penn State forum, a couple students who were admitted to their BSN program said they were told that only 90 out of 1000 students were admitted.</p>

<p>As noted elsewhere, apply to large numbers of programs and apply early.</p>

<p>Update:</p>

<p>A student said she was told by Penn State Admissions that 1300 people applied for the nursing major. They accepted 110 total – 77 to UP and 33 to satellite campuses.</p>

<p>Penn State says on its website that nursing students can spend the first year at almost any branch campus. I don’t know how many of those branch students wanted to attend a branch campus, or were required to go there first.</p>

<p>Brand new stats from Georgetown U.: "The School of Nursing and Health Studies had its largest applicant pool ever, with close to 1,200 students applying. " </p>

<p>Last year, it was about a 20% acceptance rate. However, Georgetown puts extra hurdles in front of all applicants, such as not using the common appl and requiring an interview and 3 sat IIs, so only highly qualified applicants apply.</p>

<p>I just took a look at the area around Temple U.'s nursing school and LaSalle University today. Both are in Philadelphia. I didn’t take an official tour yet. </p>

<p>LaSalle’s nursing school is in the former Germantown Hospital, which has been renovated. There is an elevated walkway that connects it to the rest of the campus. Judging by physical appearances, it did not strike me as a bad area - there are many well-maintained rowhouses and a wooded city park adjacent to the campus. A new shopping center was built next door, including a whole-foods type supermarket. There was lots of security on campus. </p>

<p>I like Temple University’s main campus, which is along N. Broad St. about 20 blocks north of Center City. That area is filling in with student housing. However, the nursing school building is a number of blocks to the north on Broad St. next to the Temple University Hospital. This is the hospital where the US Army used to send their surgeons to get practice on gunshot wound victims every night (that was before they had casaulties from Iraq and Afghanistan). There are two huge brand new buildings, including a new Med School Building. </p>

<p>However, the area around the Temple medical complex is still blighted. There were many long-abandoned buildings. My guess is that the slumlords are hoping that Temple buys their properties for higher-than-market value. The building right across the street from the nursing school is a hulk.</p>

<p>I drove around Holy Family University’s main campus in northeast Phila. It is a direct entry nursing program. The nursing program has a modern building. The campus is only around 8 buildings, including a new residence hall. They have 2 other campuses that serve non-nursing commuters. </p>

<p>It is in a pleasant part of town, with some stores, churches and older houses nearby. Most of northeast Phila. consists of 1950s rowhouses. The huge Franklin Mills Mall is about 10 minutes away, and I-95 is nearby. </p>

<p>Phila. has added many on-road bikepaths.</p>

<p>I was at a college fair last night and talked to a few people about nursing schools.</p>

<p>The rep from Holy Family said they now house about 19% on campus. Their new residence hall has room to be expanded in 2 future phases.</p>

<p>The rep from Missericordia north of Wilkes-Barre said they just built a new health care education building about 1/2 mile from their main campus.</p>

<p>DeSales University south of Allentown announced that they are starting construction of a new $26 million building to house their nursing and nurse practitioner programs.</p>

<p>Some reps talked about getting an initial degree in 2 or 3 years, getting a job, and looking for an employer who will pay a large part of the costs of completing the bachelor’s degree as a part-time student.</p>

<p>Some thoughts over on the U. of Delaware part of this website:</p>

<h2><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-delaware/1103344-nursing-acceptances-why-choose-delaware.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-delaware/1103344-nursing-acceptances-why-choose-delaware.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/h2&gt;

<p>I took a look at York College, in York PA. Nice campus. Big new residence hall and gym. Is within walking distance of York Hospital, the largest hospital in the county.</p>

<p>charlie, thanks for all your info!</p>