Opinions on honors

<p>So I’ve been accepted to UA for fall of 2012 (roll tide!), and I’m kind of on the fence about being a part of the honors college. I have a 4.25 GPA and a 30 ACT, so I’m not really concerned about getting in, but I’m not sure if it’s really going to be worth it for me. I’m definitely planning on being a part of other activities on campus (hopefully a sorority will be one of them), so I don’t know how much of a time commitment the honors classes are and how much more work they require as opposed to regular classes. Not that I’m opposed to working hard, I just want to be realistic with what I’m actually going to have time to do. I’m going in to nursing, and one of the reasons I would want to do the honors college is because I think it might give me an “advantage” when I apply to the upper division of nursing. But, I guess I really don’t know if this carries any weight during that application process? I’ve considered waiting a semester or a year and applying to the honors college after I’ve already started at UA, and I’ve also considered just not doing the honors college at all. I don’t really know what’s the pros and cons of honors are so your opinions are welcome! Thank you!</p>

<p>My freshman daughter’s stats are similar to yours. She and her 3 suitemates all are in the honors college and joined sororities. All are having way too much fun. If you rush you cannnot participate in Alabama Action or Outdoor Action programs as all three occur the same week just before school starts. The honors college strongly encourages students to take one honors seminar first semester freshman year to have them understand what an honors class is like. So far this seminar is my daughter’s favorite class. Whether she will continue taking honors classes and graduate with honors, time will tell. But so far she is happy with her choices.</p>

<p>Honors classes aren’t more demanding than regular classes so don’t worry about that. Honors classes are smaller and often more interesting…not harder and not more homework.</p>

<p>You should apply to have that option available. You can always later decide not to finish the req’ts.</p>

<p>The req’ts are not “more”…the classes often count for Core Req’ts that you would need anyway. </p>

<p>And, you certainly do want to miss out on having priority registration! That will make getting those required classes for nursing MUCH easier!!!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Honors is what you make of it. Some people give the minimum time commitment and some spend 60 hours a week doing stuff for/with the Honors College. </p>

<p>The Honors College, especially UHP and IHP, are not lock-step programs where you have to complete a very specific set of courses with a limited group of people like you see at other universities. I encourage people to look at the Honors College as more of a facilitating organization for top students that happens to have a small academic component. The requirements for UHP are really easy to complete as you can take honors classes that fulfill core curriculum requirements.</p>

<p>Very true about honors being what you make of it.</p>

<p>My younger son doesn’t really have the time to make the “most of it.” He’s busy as a Chem E pre-med major with 3 minors (and doing all the medically-related volunteering/shadowing, etc)…so he’s just doing the minimum so it goes on his Diploma and he gets the priority registration (which is so good for making one’s schedule).</p>

<p>I’m a freshman living in honors housing and it’s amazing! You just need 18 credits in honors classes and a certain gpa which isn’t hard. Being in the honors college has so many benefits such as priority class registration and a bunch of free food events :stuck_out_tongue: the people you meet in the honors college mostly live in the suites around you and you will make the best most interesting friends! It is so worth it. I love my honors class and am looking forward to the others. The difference is just that many honors students have priorities that are geared more towards academic success rather than a degree in pure partying. But we still have fun (:</p>

<p>thanks for all the feedback! GCBMIB, it’s reassuring to hear that your daughter is able to be in a sorority and still keep up with academics and honors. The priority registration is definitely a plus… And if all else fails and it gets to be too much I can always drop out of honors I guess. :)</p>

<p>Egcv…</p>

<p>What AP credits are you coming in with?</p>

<p>As I mentioned earlier, Core Req’ts can be full-filled with honors courses. My kids have taken the Fine Arts honors, the 300 level courses with the Writing designations, and some honors courses within their majors…and some others. It didn’t add to their course load at all.</p>

<p>And, yes, you can decide to drop out if you want later.</p>

<p>3 for AP US History, 2 for AP World History (terrible teacher, I won’t get credit), and this year I’m taking AP English Language and AP Calculus AB and I should get a 3 or above on both of those…</p>

<p>Does anyone know how many people that live in honors housing also join frats/sororities?</p>

<p>I don’t have a specific number of people, but many people in the Honors College are Greek and non-honors Greeks will often live in the non-honors super suite housing.</p>

<p>And, many Greeks live on the south side of campus which is closer to their houses.</p>

<p>I don’t think there is any kind of “running count” anywhere of how many Greeks are in honors housing. </p>

<p>Since my kids didn’t pledge, they tried to pick suitemates that weren’t Greek…that wasn’t hard to do…many in honors are not Greek.</p>

<p>honors standing doesn’t affect upper division promotion at all. admission is strictly GPA based. your B in Honors Psych will hurt you more than help - go for the A in PY 101</p>

<p>my DD is in honors and in a sorority and in engineering. she is busy and does not participate in a lot of honors college things. just a few.</p>

<p>she came in with a bunch of credit, so she is finding it hard to get the honors hours she needs. she gets a few here and there, but there are not a lot offered in classes she needs to take or there are time conflicts with other classes.</p>

<p>but i would say it is worth it for the perks.</p>

<p>^ exactly, the early registration and option of Honors dorms, (esp. as a fresh./soph.) are the biggies. Honestly as to whether DS will graduate with the Honors status, given a dual-degree with no Honors classes avail. in either major, and similar situation to MikeWoz’s D as far as coming in with credit, is the least of my concerns.</p>