Orientation

<p>Are the later orientation participants at a disadvantage with picking classes?</p>

<p>Yes, pick the earliest ones!</p>

<p>@ onhcetum - Are you sure about this? It is common practice at most universities to hold a certain number of spaces in classes to be released during each orientation session. You generally are at a greater disadvantage if you are the last student to register during the first orientation as opposed to being the first student to register at the last orientation.</p>

<p>@ artek1993 - Why don’t you call VT and ask directly?</p>

<p>classes will fill up with each new orientation session, so i would go as early as possible. if not you’ll still be fine, they will help you figure out your schedule</p>

<p>blueiguana: the office was closed when I thought about it.</p>

<p>zack: I picked July 14-15, because of a job situation and I am in architecture, so my classes are kinda limited first year.</p>

<p>That’s the 4th session right?</p>

<p>Out of over 10 sessions that’s not bad at all.</p>

<p>You won’t run out of room in classes you need. They’ll actually preschedule most of them for you. The only disadvantage a late orientation will give you is less of a selection for your electives, and even that isn’t that bad.</p>

<p>Hey chuy, you seem really knowledgeable about Tech. What electives would you suggest? Teacher wise.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that how important an early orientation is depends largely on what you’re planning on majoring in and what AP credits you have. For example, if you’re in engineering and you’ve gotten passing AP scores in chemistry, Calculus, physics, and English, you’re probably going to need to fill up the rest of your schedule with various other electives which may be full by the time you get the chance to add your own classes. I don’t know specifics about architecture, but I’m guessing that they have a pretty rigid schedule for at least the first year or two, so you don’t really need to worry about what time your orientation is.</p>

<p>One elective that I took my first semester was Intro to American Indian Studies with Dyer. Not only is it an incredibly easy class, but it can be pretty interesting as well. I would consider taking it if you need an elective.</p>

<p>Tough to say professorwise since I graduated a year ago and a lot of them have changed. I really liked the 20th century history class and Urban Public Issues. The BS art history class is good too if you can get in since it fills an annoying core requirement and is pass/fail. Look at the list of classes that are available that day and just pick whatever looks interesting. Electives in general aren’t that hard, but it’ll be much easier if you’re interested in the subject matter. You can even add an extra class and drop the most boring one in the first couple weeks.</p>

<p>I thought there were 12 sessions? I’m signed up for the 11th (27th-28th, I think) because I’ll be gone…/:</p>