Parents .. I really really need some help her.. my d received a scholarship but not from VT

<p>My daughter received a $9k per yr scholarship from JMU for engineering. I know JMU is not VT when it comes to engineering. But does anyone know anything about their program? We had basically decided on VT but this has thrown us a curveball since we are OOS and this will help tremendously with costs. We have 4 days to decide! I need pros and cons and any insight that can be given. </p>

<p>Where does your daughter want to go? What are her pros / cons between the two options?</p>

<p>I only just took a cursory glance at JMU’s engineering page, but to me (admittedly, I’m biased, as a VT grad…), there isn’t much of a comparison – VT is much, much better. JMU doesn’t appear to have either the depth or breadth of VT – they don’t even have different engineering disciplines. They’re not going to have the same kind/number/level of lab facilities that VT has in each of its departments. I could see opportunities for undergrad research going either way – it could be less at JMU because it is a smaller, fledgling department with just fewer projects going on, or maybe they’ll actually need more help because they don’t have a healthy supply of grad students. But, she certainly won’t have as many different opportunities to choose from, and the profs and school in general will not be as well connected for research, internships, etc… If she is very self motivated and ready to blaze her own trail, there is probably a lot of stuff she could make happen at JMU (e.g., engineering clubs, entries into engineering competitions, etc.), with it being so new … she could do it at VT too, but she might not need to because a lot of what she might want to make happen will already be there waiting for her to jump in. In terms of degree marketability, she’ll have to work a lot harder to convince an employer who has no experience with a JMU grad of her capabilities; the reputation of big engineering schools goes a long way for degree marketability. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the decision.</p>

<p>I think an engineering degree from VT has a lot more value. You would be saving on costs but sacrificing quality of program. I have seen comparisons of UVA and VT engineering programs but not VT and JMU. As an instater we never considered JMU for engineering. </p>

<p>Thank you guys for the info… my husband and I feel as you do about the engineering program at VT. Hands down it’s the better choice. I just feel I’d be irresponsible if I didn’t consider the financial aspect. The amount of debt she would graduate with will be significantly lower at JMU with the scholarship. However, is the money saved worth the value of the education?? Tough question… my husband and I are both leaning towards VT… it’s just difficult when JMU offered her a scholarship, Honors and a potential Honors scholarship… and 3 days to decide!!! </p>

<p>If you look at any of the lists for top engineering schools, JMU is nowhere to be seen. Also, look at the ROI of VA tech. I t will cost more but she will earn more right out of school. The companies that come to Tech to recruit are numerous. There really is no comparison for engineering.</p>

<p>How much debt are you talking about?
For an engineer, it’s possible to go above the $5,500 loan freshman year (and $27,000 total for 4 years) because paid internships should be available the summer after sophomore (or even freshman) year, but going over $35k in debt would not be a good idea.</p>

<p>@crazymomof4‌<br>
I understand the costs concerns completely. Per credit hour engineering at VT costs more and then when you add up all the miscellaneous costs it does add up. One thing to consider is that does she want to go to graduate school too and is that something you would be funding. I agree about keeping loan amounts to a minimum. The scholarship is tempting. </p>

<p>IMHO, going to CC for a year or two and then transferring to VT could be better than JMU. Her degree and all of her deeply technical coursework would be VT, and she’d have the advantage of all that VT has to offer. Also, unless things have changed, if she’d doing it right for grad school, she should be on some sort of research or teaching assistantship that helps or completely pays for tuition, or she goes to school part time while working for an employer who pays for it; that’s the way my husband, I, and everyone else I know did their engineering grad work.</p>

<p>@ailinsh1 sums it up nicely. This is the most important investment your daughter will likely make in a long time–herself. The investment now will make long-term returns. I do understand the temptation. My son was accepted into several well-known engineering colleges, and he has decided to go to VT (the only one from which he did not receive a scholarship!).</p>

<p>Decision made! We took a road trip to JMU and VT this weekend… thanks to a great friend we got into Hypatia to talk with a female engineering mentor and a grad student…saw the studio… and had some questions answered! It was a fabulous visit and the decision was clear… My girl just committed to VT! Thank you all for the input. Truth is, the value and education that VT can offer outweighs the $$ from JMU.</p>

<p>Good to hear! My son is excited about VT also. Just read more about how VT is THE engineering school in Virginia.</p>

<p>I see you’ve made your decision (on VT!) Son is a current OOS freshman, (and I have a daughter graduating JMU this Spring), and the cost is definitely a struggle. We are anticipating that he’ll help compensate after Sophomore year, though, because the school has such great internship possibilities. That was part of our decision. Hopefully, we’ll catch a bit of a break then. </p>