Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Happy B’day Tx5athome and also all the March babies (mine in on Fri). I’m down in Fla but was unable to go on our cruise as my mom is ill. Thankfully my sister took the travel ins. So we are at the all inclusive North Naples Hospital. I must say it is a very nice hospital, private room with distant view towards the Gulf but not quite a Carnival cruise (lol maybe that is a good thing)</p>

<p>Proudnjmom - you’re not the only one messed up by the time change. Last night I went to bed at 9pm, and I was sleepy after lunch today.</p>

<p>Heard something great today: In New England, the First Day of Spring and the First Spring Day are NOT the same thing. Sounds like that’s true in a lot of places this year!</p>

<p>D texted yesterday to ask if she could apply for next year’s winter term abroad trips, to either Brazil or New Zealand. Both were over $5000. We said no, that’s not in the budget because grad school will be expensive. She said ok, then asked if we could use her savings bonds to pay for it? (Her grandparents have been very generous with savings bonds throughout our kids’ lives, and we cashed some in to pay for this year’s winter term abroad). We told her we needed those to pay for grad school as well. I felt a little bad turning down those wonderful opportunities, but frankly at this point our kids are more well-traveled than H and me! WE need to do some traveling to catch up!</p>

<p>Proudnjmom - you’re not the only one messed up by the time change. Last night I went to bed at 9pm, and I was sleepy after lunch today.</p>

<p>Heard something great today: In New England, the First Day of Spring and the First Spring Day are NOT the same thing. Sounds like that’s true in a lot of places this year!</p>

<p>D texted yesterday to ask if she could apply for next year’s winter term abroad trips, to either Brazil or New Zealand. Both were over $5000. We said no, that’s not in the budget because grad school will be expensive. She said ok, then asked if we could use her savings bonds to pay for it? (Her grandparents have been very generous with savings bonds throughout our kids’ lives, and we cashed some in to pay for this year’s winter term abroad). We told her we needed those to pay for grad school as well. I felt a little bad turning down those wonderful opportunities, but frankly at this point our kids are more well-traveled than H and me! WE need to do some traveling to catch up!</p>

<p>Thanks for the birthday shout-out, GSharp! Happy Birthday to your D2 - the birthday House of Cupcakes sounds awesome! </p>

<p>Thanks to everyone else for the birthday wishes, and Happy Birthday to everyone else celebrating!</p>

<p>Laf - sometimes, we just have to say no. </p>

<p>IL - love your S’s plans for this summer!</p>

<p>Almost time for my birthday cake - gotta run! :)</p>

<p>Happy first day of Spring!</p>

<p>I should have added that D was very accepting of our “no.” She gets it. I think she figured it couldn’t hurt to ask though!</p>

<p>Ok…is it horrible that S mentioned getting an aquarium for his desk and I didn’t “get it” until tonight?! Umm, you know, since he’s a “Fisheries & Wildlife” major. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Happy Birthday to all my virtual peeps !</p>

<p>Have a new recipe for “Malibu mom” cupcakes. They contain Coconut Malibu rum. :p</p>

<p>coffee is on.</p>

<p>Happy Birthday to those celebrating, past present and pending</p>

<p>Good morning and belated happy birthday to our friends here…especially the 21’s and 50’s! </p>

<p>I am full of mixed emotions (mostly shocked) as I report that D met with the G’burg track coach yesterday. I don’t know why. I’m sure it’s too late to participate on this year’s team. Maybe she wants to assist the trainer??? Really, I’m stumped. Can’t wait to find out what they discussed.</p>

<p>S got his midterm grades. 3 A’s and 1 B+. His best semester ever. Too bad the grades won’t go to his Wake transcript, only the credits will. (His study abroad program is through Syracuse U.) Oh, well. </p>

<p>Have a great Thursday. Keep warm.</p>

<p>DB- great news on the grades, even if not Wake grades. And interested to know what transpires with your D’s talk with the track people.</p>

<p>Laf- I know what you’re talking about. D’s travels needed a serious negotiation on where the money was coming from. She will do one term at school next year part time (maybe two) as she has more than enough credits to graduate early, but will want to continue her sport through the spring. But taking a part time course load will keep her in good standing as a student, cost less, and have some of that money go towards this summer.</p>

<p>She finishes her winter term with a paper due today, has to get her stuff packed in her apartment and who knows what her plan is for how it will magically go into some sort of storage (she said she can handle it!) before she gets back to town in the fall. Comes home Sun for three days.</p>

<p>Good luck to those in the throws of college decisions. Almost the end of March! Won’t be long now!</p>

<p>Happy birthday to those who have recently celebrated!</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>DB, we have a similar experience. S2 has straight A’s for courses taken outside Tufts. He figures he’s going to have to give everyone that asks two GPAs!</p>

<p>Just stopping in to bump us back to the first page, and see who served coffee this morning. Thanks, IL.</p>

<p>Gotta love those grades from study abroad programs.</p>

<p>Not much to tell here. Yesterday I walked into the office building at 7:20 AM and walked out at 11:30 PM. I do NOT work like this at home. In addition, I think this process is pretty inefficient - but they did not really ask my opinion. Looking forward to heading home tomorrow.</p>

<p>Happy Thursday to all.</p>

<p>MaineLonghorn, I’ve been thinking about you and yourself given the recent health crisis with your DS1. I hope that the doctors have had lack finding a good med combo and things have began to turn around for him. Please keep us updated if you have the inclination to do so. We’re pulling for you.</p>

<p>DB, when S went abroad through IES, he was the only person he knew whose study abroad grades were going onto his home college transcript and into his GPA. His roomate (from Univ of Michigan) said his grades wouldn’t be calculated into his GPA but they would be listed on his transcript.</p>

<p>Sent from my ADR6350 using CC</p>

<p>!!THUD!! What’s that? Oh, nothing. Just my jaw hitting the ground. Not only did D ask the track coach to let her on the team, but he did! :eek: </p>

<p>Wha??? She said she retired from track. She said she gained too much weight. She said she wanted to concentrate on grades. I don’t get it. :confused:</p>

<p>Oh, well. I’m happy if she’s happy. :)</p>

<p>Checkers, IL, Jackie, & DB - thanks for the birthday wishes!</p>

<p>Who just turned 50? Tx5? I just turned 49 and don’t want to be rushed towards that milestone. :D</p>

<p>DB - I hope your D enjoys being on the track team! Cool that the coach let her on the team at this point in the season.</p>

<p>Congrats to your S on his excellent grades!</p>

<p>D’s study abroad grades will be calculated on her transcript, but that’s because the program was done through her own school.</p>

<p>Checkers - are you planning to bake the “Malibu Mom” cupcakes? I can’t wait for your review! They sound yummy, and if they are, I’d love the recipe!</p>

<p>D is home! Too bad she’s been working pretty much non-stop since she arrived Tuesday night.</p>

<p>Checkers, cupcakes seem like a waste of perfectly good rum. ;)</p>

<p>Aliceinw - safe travels tomorrow (hope you’re not on the red eye). Are you going through ATL? I think G# and I are there at different times tomorrow. </p>

<p>ML - Ditto what psych_ said. PVC pointed towards Maine. </p>

<p>DB - three cheers for your D’s competitive spirit. I’ll bet the time off proves to have been very beneficial.</p>

<p>the 9’s (29,39, etc) were the tough years for me. Didn’t like the thought of rolling the odometer forward</p>

<p>Haha…I’m 59 so ya’ll are just silly young’uns. Wait till you can look back on the age you are now and think how YOUNG you were! And healthy! :rolleyes:</p>

<p>In my work I hang out with a lot of people in their 80s and even 90s (some of them are pretty frail but some are in surprisingly good shape. It gives you a different perspective to think you might someday look back on your current age with longing… When all you had wrong with you was a crick in your neck and arthritis in ONE finger!</p>

<p>Where’s my coffee? I am up early to get to the airport. Luckily I have a direct flight so will not be in ATL though I would have enjoyed meeting IL or G# in person. </p>

<p>Happy Friday.</p>

<p>Morning all! Where is P56? </p>

<p>IL: There’s lots of rum, so cupcakes are acceptable. But we can have drinks too :)</p>

<p>29 was an angsty year for me; 39 not so much because I was too busy to think about it. Turned 49 last month (it’s a big 50 year for this group!) and it’s somewhat freeing thinking about 50. Oh wait, maybe that’s the upcoming empty nest ;)</p>

<p>DB: Congrats on your D making the effort & finding success with the track team! And on S’s grades. </p>

<p>The snow ended up missing us. And D1’s scheduling snafu has been avoided so she’ll be with us the entire 72 hours that we’re in Orlando :)</p>

<p>We had a little surprise snow yesterday morning, and unseasonably cold weather for the past few days. AND it’s supposed to stay that way into next week, with a few inches forecast for Sunday/Monday! Ack! Where is that $%@& groundhog? :D</p>

<p>This may be the year that winter goes directly into summer. We’ll be complaining about the heat in April.</p>