Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>My kids have gotten used to those egg crate foam things; D1 brought it with her on her previous multi-week camps at various colleges & they’ve worked fine. And they usually run around $20. We have two already so I don’t have to even buy one.</p>

<p>I felt guilty for a minute & thought about buying one of the memory foam toppers from Costco, but they I thought about what a great setup she’s already got with her suite style dorm & private bedroom. What kinds of stories are they going to have about how bad they had it as college students ;)?</p>

<p>Good morning! </p>

<p>No shopping taking place here just yet - but very soon (I hope). </p>

<p>Off and running today. Wishing everyone a Happy 4th of July! Enjoy the fireworks. Sorry, no time to make any of my own.</p>

<p>parent56, thank you for the beautiful poem, although I have tears streaming down my face.</p>

<p>

My son stayed with someone at American who chose to stay in a triple even after rooms opened up. They had at least two guys on the floor during admitted students days and all of them thought they might request a triple. Guys are different! My son looks on his room as mostly a place to sleep and thinks he’ll probably study elsewhere.</p>

<p>pmartin, my d used an egg crate type pad for her first year and liked it, but it didn’t make it through being stored in a box all that next summer, so we bought another.</p>

<p>For my S’s first year, I just bought a 2-inch “Isotonic” memory foam topper from BB&B – $99.</p>

<p>parent56, that is beautiful, even tho it made me cry.</p>

<p>Happy fourth!!!</p>

<p><strong><em>Happy 4th ALL</em></strong>* and welcome to the new addition to this wonderful Forum Family.</p>

<p>I’m Learninginprog, with a son off to Yale this Fall. My DD is a rising HS Sophomore. So I shall be around.</p>

<p>I went shopping today!!! Yeah!! albeit…on the laptop for a laptop. DS “specked” out what he needed. </p>

<p>It seems that there is no urgency for the boys to get their Dorm stuff, is this just happening in our household, or are there others in my predicament?</p>

<p>Enjoy the day of shopping and eating and giving thanks!!! Be safe all :cool: :cool:</p>

<p>DB and Bengalmom… there is a thread on parent cafe this am that i copied this from…cried as i read it too.</p>

<p>Happy 4th to All! </p>

<p><em></em><em></em>*</p>

<p>Dorm shopping - S was easy. Yeah, that comforter looks good. These towels are on sale? fine. done.</p>

<p>It will be multiple more levels of complication with D. She and her roommate only live about a half hour apart, so I’m hoping for a dorm shopping trip with the two girls and the moms - a nice “get to know you” day. Only we’ll have to get TWO girls to agree on what they’re buying… like one girl wouldn’t be enough complications! lol But I think it will be fun. :)</p>

<p>Happy Fourth of July, everyone. Sending special thanks to our military members and families. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:</p>

<p>Thanks for the awesome fireworks, austinmtmom. I hope your daughter’s camp was a 10! She must be in rehearsals again? Keep us posted.</p>

<p>Sending love and {{HUGS}} to you and your family, Kajon. I like the dog tag for the key chain idea. </p>

<p>And {{HUGS}} to you, too, parent56. Losing a pet is so difficult.</p>

<p>BUandBC82 - I am so glad to hear about your dog being found! :)</p>

<p>Welcome back, AL34 and vballmom!</p>

<p>Welcome almar4, t-boneParent, MaryOC, MomLive, PayFor. musicmom26, and proudparents! We’re happy you have joined us.</p>

<p>Hi psychmom! Your daughter’s visit in NYC sounds like fun - how nice to ‘know’ some future classmates. Our son is going in knowing one girl and one older recruited athlete (whom he will probably never see) but I think he might have connected with some future classmates via FaceBook? He is really still focused on the present and is enjoying his last weeks with his life-long friends.</p>

<p>kindredspirit - I hope your family (and all the others) are enjoying the shopping adventure! </p>

<p>RobD - Thanks! Your girls are amazing! So are you! Enjoy the shopping trip!</p>

<p>CaliforniaDancer - I know that shopping trip will be great. :slight_smile: Congratulations on becoming a Senior Member. Woo hoo!</p>

<p>CountingDown - LOL re: the sneakers. We already purchased the back-up pair (identical to the current pair) when we had a special coupon.</p>

<p>MissEmily516 - I’m exhausted just reading about all you do!</p>

<p>DougBetsy - SOOOO glad to hear that Batman is on the road to recovery. And big congratulations on your shopping success! Wow!</p>

<p>zoosermom - Hi! Just waving to you from MN.</p>

<p>limabeans - That scavenger hunt sounds like a blast!</p>

<p>scualum - Love that shopping analogy system for colleges. :)</p>

<p>

I think we have one lucky member with The Golden Ticket, but it’s not me. I do, however, thanks to a very generous donor, have a wonderful supply of the others. ;)</p>

<p>I am so happy to have our daughter home. We are counting our blessings today. I can’t count the number of times I have hugged her. Yesterday we helped her move. We came home exhausted… She continued on with her day at a pool party/BBQ. Today she is exhausted. Tomorrow morning I am picking her up for some outlet mall shopping. Any tips, kindredspirit?</p>

<p>Have a great day, everyone!
:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>When I put the call out to my Ed Foundation Trustees for BB & B coupons, someone slipped in a Golden Ticket! I just found out recently when I was arranging them by % or $ off. Woo hoo!</p>

<p>Here’s hoping everyone who wants to see a fireworks show has one to go to. I’ve heard on the radio that such shows have been a victim of the recession in some areas. I always forget there are parts of the country where individuals can set them off and then I travel to WA to visit friends and family. There, they have the “safe and sane” fireworks, in addition to who knows what that people purchase off the Indian Reservations. I’ve never use those, fore fear of losing an eye, limb or worse. I’m happy to see the professionally run shows. The Exchange Club, with some participation from our city, puts one one each year.</p>

<p>Wow, if I was a CA state employee I’d be plenty POd at the guvernator right now. He got a court to reconfirm that he can drop all their salaries to the national minimum wage until the legislature passes a budget, making all these employees pawns in this struggle. It’s truly outrageous but luckily the State Controller still insists the payroll system is so antiquated, it would take lots of time to reprogram and there are very state laws that stipulate employer (including states) can be fined for improper payments. And, of course, they payroll system would have to be reprogrammed again to pay the employees back the difference once the budget does pass.</p>

<p>:cool: :col:</p>

<p>tbone - USC? Really? I’m so disappointed… guess you can tell I’m descended from good Clemson stock, haha. Congrats on your baseball team.</p>

<p>Happy 4th of July, everyone! Thank goodness for the great recaps - I was sleeping over at a friend’s house last night. I had lots of fun, and it’s always good to get away from the internet, but the posts do add up quickly on this thread! </p>

<p>Thanks for all the great shopping tips, everyone! I will definitely put them to good use. </p>

<p>DB - so glad to hear about Batman, and congrats to you and your S on the successful dorm shopping! </p>

<p>psychmom - I think Keilexandra may be traveling right now, but I think she might also have mentioned planning to not frequent CC as much after May or so. </p>

<p>lafalum - I hope the shopping for two girls works out! It definitely could be a fun challenge :slight_smile: </p>

<p>scualum - I like the shopping analogy as well! </p>

<p>There are fireworks by the water tonight, but I’m not planning on seeing them. Instead, I’m going to see some tomorrow night at a nearby county fair. I did do a lot of driving practice out on the freeway today, though, so it has been a productive 4th of July thus far.</p>

<p>I will be watching fireworks on TV tonight, though the rest of my family is out seeing some in various places. It’s nice to have a quiet night at home from time to time.</p>

<p>No real shopping here yet, though S ordered his laptop today, and we ordered him some pants from the Gap (he is hard to fit and that is the only way to get his pants). But we do have lists - what to buy here, what to order, what to ship, what to pack, what to buy out there, etc. BB&B is on our “before August 1” list.</p>

<p>And now, thanks to austinmtmom, here are some evening fireworks!</p>

<p><em> </em> <em> </em> <em> </em> <em> </em> <em> </em></p>

<p>DB, I am so relieved to hear that Batman is on the road to recovery. I hope he continues to improve and that you can eventually find out what the “foreign body” is! </p>

<p>Happy Independence Day everyone! Our nation’s beautiful flag is flying in our front yard.</p>

<p>Hello 2010/2014 gang. I am “colorado_mom”… which I guess needs little explanation. Although I’ve read and posted on many college threads, I did not start following “2010” until this spring. I really enjoyed the “SS Indecision” fun. </p>

<p>Our 2010 son heads off to Northeastern in Boston to study engineering this fall. We researched many fine schools via campus visits and CC. And I so appreciate all of the info from CC families! In the end (ha. the very end of April) we picked NEU for the excellent co-op opportunities and awesome NMF scholarship. </p>

<p>Our older daughter is also very bright, but she has had some college struggles (mostly organizational). So we probably will not be empty nesters for a while. That may work out ok. I’m not sure I’m ready for the kids to be totally gone.</p>

<p>We are NY transplants, since 1993. My husband and I both have engineering degrees from Clarkson.</p>

<p>Had a wonderful 4th of July today. Went to a local park and saw a reading of the D of I (in costume), juggler, skydivers and Uncle Sam on stilts.</p>

<p>D went to visit her Aunt & Uncle for a week and I noticed that she was taking an AP calculus book with her. She said it was to brush up a bit before heading to college. This is behavior that I cannot relate to from my high school or college days.</p>

<p>S2 has started self-studying the foreign language he plans to take in college. (He will have five semesters of Spanish placement credit heading in, but wants to match his FL in college to the areas he wants to study.) He has to take eight semesters of one language at Tufts, so the FL requirement is not something he can take lightly. Seems to be enjoying it so far.</p>

<p>Am realizing that between vacation and friends/family coming to town, we ought to get moving on the shopping!</p>